Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pone156tfo

First thing you noticed

ive always noticed graff in my neighborhood . but it wasn't til the mid to late 80's that i started to appreciate it. that's when a bunch of murals were going up it my neighborhood . i would go and watch them while they were going up and try mimic them on paper. i was real young so i would draw things around me and graff was one of them.

Guest -sudz-

when i was like 5 or 6, every time my mom went to get the dry cleaning i'd go with her, because if i waited patiently in the front seat, she'd bring me out one of the candies from inside.... so while waiting in the front seat of me car, there was this tag on the wall "jayo" it said. the O is a smily face, it seemed friendly... that introduced me to graff... then when i was like 12 i saw some of my friend's sisters hip hop mags that had graff, there was papers with her trying to copy what she saw. i tried too.... and it stuck.

when i was 7 i took a train trip to minn. and i remember seeing graff but nothing in specific. then a few weeks later i remember thinking. how did they do that? the only thing i remember from them was this beaver face with big buck teeth and the beaver was wagging its tale. i think it might have been in chicago but i'm not sure.

the first time that i REMEMBER seeing or noticing graffiti was prbably in 3rd or 4th grade.it was a tag in our school yard.i never paid attention to the scribble until a friend pointed it out and claimed the scribble said something.the first time i learned about graffit though was watching beatstreet repeatedly on tv.by that time i was already into hip hop, and i had always drawn pictures.you could say i'm one of the few i know that was introduced to graffiti through hip hop rather the opposite.than again,of course there's a lot of people have no interest in hip hop eithe.:cool:

when i was 8 yrs. old or so, seeing smurfs painted on the trains in DC on the way to the zoo. they were stamped all the way down the thing.i can't recall any letters, i just dug on those smurfs.

Riding on Bart with my mom out to my grandmas house in pleasenton. WHere the old Sears building used to be in Oakland on east 14th there was a huge production (I think joker had a part in it. Didn't he get shot at while painting it?) and I was just amazed by it. There's very very little of it left now and I can only fill in the blank spots with my memory.

My mom used to have an art studio in berkeley and while she'd paint I'd walk around and check out the tags and pieces thinking to myself "goddamn, how do they do it?!?!?"

My friend nate in high school turned me on to graff and the first mag I ever picked up was Can Control number one.

Growing up in SF/Oakland in (my opinion) the glory days of early to mid 90's, I saw a bunch of great stuff. I don't remember any specific times, but my big brother would point things out to me saying things like "that's twist. he's awesome." or "see that guy Giant?" But I do remember one time, I was coming across the bridge from Oaklnd to SF with my family and I saw a Rem Horse on this fence right before the bridge. I just knew her as the "horse lady" before i started remembering all the "names."

STL/NO

STL-Loki Earl and Slug throw on 40 and Grand. On the bus in 3rd grade my driver used to stop and talk to her friend and there was a wall in the alley. Stun wall on streetside. I also remember these wheatpastes on the highway, they had an N inside crosshairs.

-When my mom moved out of the city there were old train lines in our backyard. Under the highway there is a newa and poser burner and this neigborhood kid that wrote moza. When I found out they were from the east it made me think how they ended up under a suburban overpass in St. Louis.

NO- A jes straight letter on the bridge as you go across the lake.

the first time i realized graffiti was when i was like maybe 8-10 years old, i would see this "SRIN" throw-up all over the place, but i had no clue what it was. i believed that it was a gang thing, and my brother and i would always see them around. haha, it was cool. oh btw, im in toronto.

it was third grade, a kid in my class' brother was trying to write, and me and my friends thought it was so cool. i learned what a tag was and i started paying attention to shit on the local walls where i lived.(milford, ct at the time). i remember kayo was up everywhere.

I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and my class took a field trop. We rode the train to wherever we were going, and I remember seein a lot of stuff. The one thing that I really remember was an angry lookin spraycan character on a rooftop. I had no clue what it meant, and it kinda scared me until I really looked into it.

i would have to say 88 or there abouts.I would see it in the LA river off the 134 all the time..Shit is started to fade through the old ass buff..Wow that brings back memories

I remember seeing a huge mural on my way to the bowling alley....It had three graffers holding onto a pole while a dragon/krylon can was spitting fire......It had a huge impact on my life....Ill try to find it.

Originally posted by Vanity

dunno who.. but i remember seeing marker tags on signal boxes on corners in poorer neighborhoods in milwaukee in like... 86-87? i didnt understand them. i thought it was spanish or something.

:lol:

Hey all you goons and goonettes out there in cyber land. What was the very first time you noticed Graffiti and what did you notice first. For example I first noticed giant colorful fillin's and insides on Bronx trains in 1975 or 76 on our way to Grandma's apt.
yo I remember this kid used to write NOMAD, he used to do mad font styles, but the one style that I saw him up with was a red,orange,white, and black jumbo throwie. The way he used the colors gave the effect that the letters were melting away and dripping downward. Have yet to see this style duplicated. I have'nt seen any NOMAD stuff since. That was 84'.

Big ol' silver Sivel on a billboard on the way to the supermarket with my ma. bout late 80's. Blew my mind

in san francisco riding the buses with my moms and seeing all these kids hop on buses, fuck them up, yell at riders, start mad shit. i remember i went home and bombed all my toy buses and cars.....i forgot about graffiti for a long time untill i hit high school and ran into other writers....

1988 a guy leant over a fence and dropped a tag above the window of the train i was on straight in front of me.

the ion 1989 a picee by Dmote had a charo with a bong saying "75% of sydney's crime is drug related.. this is no exception"

the seeing a train come in to my station with about 5 carriages painted window down by ????

blew my fucking mind!

The first thing I took notice of were the sketches in kid's binder covers at school in 8th grade, and then restroom tags from a b-boy kid that went to the same school, and eventually everything else on the streets by different writers.

In 8th grade, I asked this b-girl about a sketch in her binder cover, and then she asked if I wanted my name done, so I said OK. then the next school day she had my name written really funky and mad flavorish, and ever since then I was drawn to the style of the letters.

that's what really made me get into it myself to start sketching, hitting and bombing; style, maturing my writing style.