First thing you noticed

Pone156tfo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riding on Bart with my mom out to my grandmas house in pleasenton. WHere the old Sears building used to be in Oakland on east 14th there was a huge production (I think joker had a part in it. Didn't he get shot at while painting it?) and I was just amazed by it. There's very very little of it left now and I can only fill in the blank spots with my memory.

My mom used to have an art studio in berkeley and while she'd paint I'd walk around and check out the tags and pieces thinking to myself "goddamn, how do they do it?!?!?"

My friend nate in high school turned me on to graff and the first mag I ever picked up was Can Control number one.

Growing up in SF/Oakland in (my opinion) the glory days of early to mid 90's, I saw a bunch of great stuff. I don't remember any specific times, but my big brother would point things out to me saying things like "that's twist. he's awesome." or "see that guy Giant?" But I do remember one time, I was coming across the bridge from Oaklnd to SF with my family and I saw a Rem Horse on this fence right before the bridge. I just knew her as the "horse lady" before i started remembering all the "names."

STL/NO

STL-Loki Earl and Slug throw on 40 and Grand. On the bus in 3rd grade my driver used to stop and talk to her friend and there was a wall in the alley. Stun wall on streetside. I also remember these wheatpastes on the highway, they had an N inside crosshairs.

-When my mom moved out of the city there were old train lines in our backyard. Under the highway there is a newa and poser burner and this neigborhood kid that wrote moza. When I found out they were from the east it made me think how they ended up under a suburban overpass in St. Louis.

NO- A jes straight letter on the bridge as you go across the lake.

the first time i realized graffiti was when i was like maybe 8-10 years old, i would see this "SRIN" throw-up all over the place, but i had no clue what it was. i believed that it was a gang thing, and my brother and i would always see them around. haha, it was cool. oh btw, im in toronto.

it was third grade, a kid in my class' brother was trying to write, and me and my friends thought it was so cool. i learned what a tag was and i started paying attention to shit on the local walls where i lived.(milford, ct at the time). i remember kayo was up everywhere.

I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and my class took a field trop. We rode the train to wherever we were going, and I remember seein a lot of stuff. The one thing that I really remember was an angry lookin spraycan character on a rooftop. I had no clue what it meant, and it kinda scared me until I really looked into it.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Vanity

dunno who.. but i remember seeing marker tags on signal boxes on corners in poorer neighborhoods in milwaukee in like... 86-87? i didnt understand them. i thought it was spanish or something.

:lol:

• 1 year later...
Hey all you goons and goonettes out there in cyber land. What was the very first time you noticed Graffiti and what did you notice first. For example I first noticed giant colorful fillin's and insides on Bronx trains in 1975 or 76 on our way to Grandma's apt.
yo I remember this kid used to write NOMAD, he used to do mad font styles, but the one style that I saw him up with was a red,orange,white, and black jumbo throwie. The way he used the colors gave the effect that the letters were melting away and dripping downward. Have yet to see this style duplicated. I have'nt seen any NOMAD stuff since. That was 84'.

in san francisco riding the buses with my moms and seeing all these kids hop on buses, fuck them up, yell at riders, start mad shit. i remember i went home and bombed all my toy buses and cars.....i forgot about graffiti for a long time untill i hit high school and ran into other writers....

• 2 weeks later...

1988 a guy leant over a fence and dropped a tag above the window of the train i was on straight in front of me.

the ion 1989 a picee by Dmote had a charo with a bong saying "75% of sydney's crime is drug related.. this is no exception"

the seeing a train come in to my station with about 5 carriages painted window down by ????

blew my fucking mind!

The first thing I took notice of were the sketches in kid's binder covers at school in 8th grade, and then restroom tags from a b-boy kid that went to the same school, and eventually everything else on the streets by different writers.

In 8th grade, I asked this b-girl about a sketch in her binder cover, and then she asked if I wanted my name done, so I said OK. then the next school day she had my name written really funky and mad flavorish, and ever since then I was drawn to the style of the letters.

that's what really made me get into it myself to start sketching, hitting and bombing; style, maturing my writing style.

• 3 weeks later...

the first graff i ever really noticed was when i was younger going back home to philladelphia every summer...taking the speedline into the city and seeing all these weird, scary ass marks that i couldnt read everywhere....got alittle older, living down south, lots of gang graffiti caught my attention...from then on, i learned alot more about this shit that i have a love/hate relationship with...

i remember a tag when i was like 4 years old, looked almost like my real name, only 1 letter difference, since then ive been "tagging" my school books with my own name , then when i was like 14 i started to do real graffiti letters etc.

Re: Sick/Pone

Are you from Beantown? I did a nice piece up in Framingham with Sick back in 1995 thereaboutz. I didn't know there was a tunnel up there. Yeah but Sick is peeps a 156 Guru all the way live and direct.

I'm glad I was one of the instraments that corrupted you into a lifestyle of chaos and mayhem. Yes a Guiness ale would be nice if you get around to the liquor store. Hit me off witha a fleamail and we'll chat

Peace Love and Deoderant

:D

thats wat got me writing i was from boston now im in ashland right next to framingham and i would always see that piece

in a drainage ditch that tunnelled under the street i grew up on. it was just a marker hit up that said "Michael was here". i wasnt diagnosed with the graffiti disease until much later but i remember being really intrigued by it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived