Man sentenced to death for shooting intruder

Harvey Wallbanger

fromwhatisliberalism.com

AT 11:00PM ON DECEMBER 26, 2001...

Members of the Prentiss, Mississippi police force and the Pearl River Basin Narcotics Task Force conducted a drug raid on the duplex apartment of Jamie Smith. Cory Maye lived in the other apartment that made up the duplex. Maye was not named in the police warrant for the duplex. Smith was arrested for marijuana possession. As the raid on Smith commenced, some officers went around to the other side of the duplex, in search of more contraband. They either thought the other side of the duplex was part of Smith's apartment, or they may have thought it was abandoned. The door was actually a door to Maye's home. Maye was asleep and awoke when he heard the rear door being smashed in. The rear door opened into the rear bedroom where Maye's 18 month old daughter was asleep. Fearing for himself and his daughter, Maye picked up his gun and fired at the intruders as they came into his daughter's bedroom. A bullet hit and killed the first officer to enter, Ronald Jones. When other officers shouted "Police," Maye ceased firing and surrendered to arrest. Maye is now on death row for the killing of a police officer.

There are a lot more details here. This sounds like a pretty fucked up situation.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There are 3 sides to every story. Obviously if the guy's story is true this is the most fucked up thing that could happen (legally they had no warrant so going into that apartment was illegal and therfore the shooting would have been justified no matter what). If what the cops say is true that they announced themselves over and over again then the whole "rightness" of the issue is changed... who the fuck knows.

For the record... just because someone has no criminal record does not mean they are not criminals... it just means they haven't been caught...

Unless you're from Mississippi, I don't see how that's relevant.

And for the record, no, this is not how Tie died. Tie never entered, nor tried to enter, his murderer's apartment. He was shot in the back of the head while climbing a fire escape. (I do understand the point of comparing the incidents, but I just want to make the facts clear.)

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by Ishbel Bullen+Feb 23 2006, 03:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ishbel Bullen - Feb 23 2006, 03:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>bleeding hearts.  and where i live the cops can come into your apartment without a warrant if they suspect a criminal act has occured/is occuring at that time.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-harvey wallbanger@Feb 23 2006, 06:16 PM

Actually this is constitutionally acceptable as a reasonable search no matter where you are.

But come on, did no one else get this - If they thought they were busting in the back door of the same place they were already raiding - WHY WOULD THEY BE YELLING "POLICE"!?!?!? It would be a safe assumption the person in the RIGHT home would know and be hostile thus they wouldn't go yelling about entering...

Originally posted by KING BLING+Feb 24 2006, 02:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING BLING - Feb 24 2006, 02:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Ishbel Bullen@Feb 23 2006, 03:02 PM

bleeding hearts.  and where i live the cops can come into your apartment without a warrant if they suspect a criminal act has occured/is occuring at that time.

<!--QuoteBegin-harvey wallbanger@Feb 23 2006, 06:16 PM

Actually this is constitutionally acceptable as a reasonable search no matter where you are.

But come on, did no one else get this - If they thought they were busting in the back door of the same place they were already raiding - WHY WOULD THEY BE YELLING "POLICE"!?!?!? It would be a safe assumption the person in the RIGHT home would know and be hostile thus they wouldn't go yelling about entering...

[/b]

Actually you're wrong. Any part of the house that has not been searched for bodies is deemed "hostile" and therfore there are potential threats there, thus you announce yourself whenever you enter new doors... of rooms, porches, garages etc..