So I Got A New Job

SilentBob

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Respect to "special ed" teachers... that shit is gnarly. Too many bodily fluids flying around.

Dealing with "normal" college freshmen is a fucking trial for me... I can't imagine if I had to factor autism into the picture. Goddamn.

PS: Teaching high school sucks. Besides the incredibly restrictive "course outlines" you're issued, the total lack of financial bargaining power (in the first 2-5 years at least), and dealing with little fucks you just know feel the same way you did in high school, public schools will dick over young teachers faster than anything just to "help the budget."

Silent Bob--

Congratulations, that sounds very cool. If you haven't already, I reccomend checking out this book-- it's very interesting, and a quick read. The author used to work with autistic kids, and the story is told from the perspective of a 15 year old with autism. I think that it really offers a good window into the autistic mind.

i worked with some autistic and developementaly delayed youths. it was awesome for the most part, but a lot of work. Tons of time in the time out room restraining students when they were in OUTBURST MODE...

highlights included:

the old did you take your meds mouth checks.

the avoiding of Autistic sally... a young girl who had a constant open sore on her forehead and when she was mad shed sneak a finger full of bloody puss on your face. which thank god i was always fast enough to avoid.

public feild trips... holy shit i could tell you stories for days... try restraining a child in public whos smart enough to scream< "help im being kidnapped these are my parents". Joe Citizen had no idea what to do...

I also worked with one student that had to be handled by the police; when they arrived or when HE arrived he was not preppared to handle the situation and ended up on his back cuffed by my student, who later that year called th epolice from home to let them know if they came to her house (be clear they werent planing on going to here house, she jsut wanted to elt them know what would happen if they did come) she would shoot them.

special ed:

the sad fact is its almost a thankless job, so you have to love it, need the money or both.

There will always be work in this feild... so if you can handle it and have the paitients you always have it to fall back on.

Originally posted by harvey wallbanger@Feb 22 2006, 12:50 PM

Silent Bob--

Congratulations, that sounds very cool. If you haven't already, I reccomend checking out this book-- it's very interesting, and a quick read. The author used to work with autistic kids, and the story is told from the perspective of a 15 year old with autism. I think that it really offers a good window into the autistic mind.

My girlfriend and mum both convinced me to read this. Good book, gives a really good insight in to how the mind of someone with autism works.

My mum works with autistic kids every single day. She's told me some ricockulous stories. She's just started doing respite care for a little Chinese kid with autism. He can't speak English and communicates by a series of grunts and groans. He's fucking awesome.

shits hard. i dont know if i could hack it just based on the stress and committment youd have to have. i also think it would be hard in the sense that you try to help these kids, but you cant change their situation. that would become a little overwhelming after a while. but i give you mad respect for doing that and hope you find success in your work.

personally if i was to take on that challenge, id use it as a personal study into the human mind. i think any mental disability or not, the human mind is a very relative yet compicated one.

but again, big ups, and keep on.

Originally posted by Tough Love@Feb 23 2006, 03:44 AM

hey congrats on the job

i was wondering (and this is open to anyone and everyone)

what do you guys think makes a good teacher? What do you think their purpose is in school and how is this purpose best achieved do you think?

What makes a good teacher and what their purpose is are two different things. A good teacher will challenge you to think for yourself as well as get you to challenge your own idealogies. The purpose of a teacher is to shuffle kids through the system.

Originally posted by NeRVe54@Feb 23 2006, 01:21 AM

shits hard. i dont know if i could hack it just based on the stress and committment youd have to have. i also think it would be hard in the sense that you try to help these kids, but you cant change their situation. that would become a little overwhelming after a while. but i give you mad respect for doing that and hope you find success in your work.

personally if i was to take on that challenge, id use it as a personal study into the human mind. i think any mental disability or not, the human mind is a very relative yet compicated one.

but again, big ups, and keep on.

ive been wrong before

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69568

my moms a speech therapist and gets to work with just about every type of challenged person you could imagine. she used to take me to work with her when i was a punk teenager to straighten me out. oddly enough i too may end up being a high school teacher.

stoner art teacher until my career never takes off status