did i miss the transition?

Guest beardo

from hip-hop being hip-hop to hip-hop being punk-rock?

cus i went to see some breakdancing this weekend, and there were an awful lot of super nerdy emo-punk kids out there on the floor. make-up and everything. WTF.

is this the final frontier of irony or what?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

Goth/Emo bboys have been around for a while. I thought it was pretty neat the first time I saw it, cause it just looked so out of place and it was all like "fuck the bboy look". But then everybody jumped on the bandwagon and now it's just stupid. It's mostly on the west coast though.

There's a video by Skinny Puppy where Goth bboys battle Hip Hop bboys.

Hip-hop heads and 'punk rock people' have been getting down since fucking Fab Five Freddy and Blondie were doing shit together. This really shouldn't be all that surprising.

People who are all about the b-boy are gay as fuck. Unless you had a rap record out sometime before 1993 I don't want to hear you talk about b-boys, b-girls, beatboxing or fucking shell toes.

Fuck you, die twice..

The way I see it is; if a kid can dance, he can fuckin dance. Its not like the kids are walking around wearing something "hiphop" or "goth" and acting like they are bboys or.. whatever goth kids are supposed to be.

You have to practice your ass off to get good at dancing. So, actually, you should be giving those hipster/emo kids props for (if they are) being good dancers and not feeling like they must succumb to the "bboy fashion sense."

edit: cause I wanted to.

You make a good point, Dubs. Break dancing requires a HUGE investment of time, energy, and physical commitment if you want to become good. The return on this is that there is little in the world that is cooler than good breakdancing, and anyone who has put in the effort to learn it deserves props.

However, the downside to breaking is the geeky, fashion-obsessed subculture that goes along with it. The last thing breaking needs is to be taken over by an even geekier, even more fashion obsessed subculture, such as "goth".

What would be ideal is seeing people from all walks of life doing what they enjoy, without feeling like their hobbies or musical interests dictated what they should wear. I would think it was awesome if I was at a b-boy battle, and kids were showing up in spiked denim jackets with old Anthrax t-shirts sewn onto the back, and standing next to someone in khakis and an izod shirt-- and then the battle would start, and they would all do their thing. I wouldn't even mind if a couple of people were rocking shell toes, full track suits, and a Kangol, as long as they didn't think that that made them more "legit", because they wore the b-boy uniform.

The problem is the most of these "goth" bboys also subscribe to a different style of dancing (abstract, contortionist, slow) that doesn't really jive with what bboying is supposed to be like (fast, funky, on-a-dime). It goes by the name "circus" style. I'm actually all for it, cause I think they're coming up with some unbelievable shit, but I have to admit that it looks out of place at jams with funky breakbeats playing, and a lot of bboys are getting pissed off at losing competitions against these guys who can't seem to dance very well to the music, but who have some ridiculously difficult tricks up their sleeves. Thankfully, a lot of them are turning more into foundation and learning the proper way to dance to breaks, and they're gonna be pretty unstoppable.

That Skinny Puppy video is not a very good example, cause most of those goth bboys are actually just normal bboys with makeup. The "leader" of the crew is actually Crumbs, one of the world's top bboys, whose style is as far from "circus" as you could imagine.

If you want a better idea of the difference between the styles, watch this clip. That's Law from Circus Runaways (arguably the best circus-style crew out there) versus some Mexican cat who is a lot more well-rounded, but whose tricks (called "blow-ups") don't match the complexity and difficulty of Law's (one-handed handhops with his foot in his armpit, WTF?). I still think he beat Law with everything else though.

Yeah, I knew there was something wrong with that bboys v.s gothies video. I stopped watching the clip when that whole krumping shit came into play. I'm not even sure what it's called. Krumping or Hyphie. I think it's the same really. I even bought this video the other day (3 months ago). Uh, Breakdancing v.s Krumping. It has Crumbs, Lil' Rock, Steelo, and some other person v.s Krumpers. I haven't watched it yet unfortunately. My little brother did and I think he said the krumpers one. Wow.

Anyway, if you ask me, everyone pretty much bit KnuckleHead Zoo. I think that was like the East Coast's first taste of "goth bboys".

Blame MikeTheCure and Spinfactor 1. ;)

No but seriously, Mams, what you just said almost sounds like that "Circus" style will eventually break off into a whole different culture/dance.

Originally posted by Yellow Feets@Feb 22 2006, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I knew there was something wrong with that bboys v.s gothies video. I stopped watching the clip when that whole krumping shit came into play. I'm not even sure what it's called. Krumping or Hyphie. I think it's the same really. I even bought this video the other day (3 months ago). Uh, Breakdancing v.s Krumping. It has Crumbs, Lil' Rock, Steelo, and some other person v.s Krumpers. I haven't watched it yet unfortunately. My little brother did and I think he said the krumpers one. Wow.

Anyway, if you ask me, everyone pretty much bit KnuckleHead Zoo. I think that was like the East Coast's first taste of "goth bboys".

Blame MikeTheCure and Spinfactor 1. ;)

No but seriously, Mams, what you just said almost sounds like that "Circus" style will eventually break off into a whole different culture/dance.

Hah, you mean Spinfactor 3. That's the one Mike the Cure came up for, it was the first time I saw a bboy with mascara. Dude got MAD stares, and girls were on the jock.

And I heard that Bboying vs. Krumpers video was made by Krumpers, edited to Krumping music, etc. It's super biased. Anyways, it's fucking retarded to pit those two together. Might as well do a Tango vs. Tapdancing video.

Knucklehead Zoo has been fucking amazing since day one, they've always been a little out there. But I think the first true, and certainly most influential circus crew was Sourpatch Kids. This one dude there, Nomak, is fucking unbelievable.

hey, im all for equal opportunity. i havent been to a bboy show in yeeeears, and it just caught me off guard.

you gotta draw the line at make-up though, dudes.