I wanna see your...........PETS!

Zack Morris

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
20 hours ago, LUGR said:

Any reason you are not adopting that awesome pup for the long haul?

14 hours ago, SukiSukiNow said:

You are a fucking rock star. 
It’s easy for us to rescue the dogs and adopt them out but the in between which would be finding the fosters is where we have the most difficulty.  Without fosters we cannot pull dogs off the euthanasia list, we can’t intake dogs from the Chinese dog meat trade, or take in all the medical issue dogs from Mexico. 
if you have the space for a couple of weeks, volunteer to foster (rescues will supply you with everything). 
🙏🏼❤️🥰🐶😍

That's tough.  I just lost a long time dog and in some ways it could be too soon even though it could work.  I also have tended toward getting a purebred of a specific breed at the earliest allowable age and raising them up.  I just enjoy doing it and it's a really small window that you can't go back to where your pup fits into the hood of your sweatshirt and will fall asleep against your neck type thing.  On the other hand, this pup is 100% awesome, amazing disposition and good natural instincts.    I can't believe anyone would put this dog into a shelter to be killed and if I foster him for not too much longer there's a decent chance we keep him because he's cool like that.

Fostering is super cool and the rescue really does pay for everything so you get all the good of having a dog with none of the cost.  I should mention that there are others who volunteer at a rescue because they want the dog interaction but can't keep a dog at home due to whatever life circumstances.  Suki it sounds like you get a huge range of dogs but I also imagine that your location allows for some of that.  I'm going through a place that primarily focuses on taking dogs from the South.  It's just how this particular organization does and I guess it's because the Southern states have a number of high kill shelters where dogs are offed if they're not claimed or adopted within a short window of time.  

For anyone reading- I see a bunch of you who do post pets have more than one.  Curious how you went about it and the experience.  For my next dog I'm debating that it always seemed fitting to have a 2nd dog so they have a pack companion.  Seems like a lot of work to start 2 pups at the same time vs getting a pup and then getting the 2nd 6-12 months later.

• Props 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update.  New pup rocks, lot of work tho doing basic and breed specific training.  I don't half ass shit, so even tho we 'failed' at fostering I'm still volunteering time to the rescue handling dogs for adoption events.  Been pretty cool, I've got to handle a number of different dogs and have had access to a behaviorist to see and learn some good dog whispering.  One week they rescued about 30-40 pups which was quite a site to walk into.  My favs were a group that were all named after firearms, almost tempted to bring a buddy home for my dude but that's for later down the line.

Related aside there's been talk in other threads about how to meet people without dating apps, do what you like and meet someone through that, etc.  Well, if you're single and like dogs I can tell you that at least through the rescue I deal with there are a lot of attractive women who volunteer, and just as many who attend events looking to adopt a dog.  

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Bristle worms - incredibly resiliant.  I've seen these things get sucked through a power head (a powerful 'water' fan) and just get destroyed into like little bits..... any bit that is kinda still worm shaped will turn into a full new worm.  I wouldn't be surprised if nearly every one of the worms you see in the video are all genetic clones of one another.  The bristles are like fiber glass and I've gotten rekt by them more than once doing tank maintenance.  I'll tell you it sucks dick to pull your hand out and find you have a long worm shaped line of bristle stuck in your hand, like thousands probably.  Very irritating.

Amphipods - these are the little shrimp things.  They are very common in the ocean and have many relatives that are various sizes.  Very similar to a shrimp.  They are scavengers that find food that comes into the reef/ocean through other means.  Consider a shark tearing a fish into pieces by the reef, the small bits that float to the bottom will be eaten quickly by animals like bristle worms and amphipods.  There are also "copepods" too that live in the tanks I have.

Ball anemone - probably didn't get a good view of them in the video because they're hard to see under blue light.  They basically catch bits of stuff that floats by.  I use a food called "reef roids" that is basically freeze dried plankton and other small single cell organisms that are used as food in the ocean.  When I pour this in the water the ball anemones will expel all their fluid and deflate, then they'll open their mouth in the center and begin inhaling the water to fill up with small bits of plankton.  They sense that it's entered the water column very quickly after I put it in and you can see this change nearly immediately.  It's like they smell the water.

Snails - there are 3 different species of snails in here, all large snails.  They basically just keep the glass clean because they eat algae.  The tank is much cleaner and easy to see in since I added them a few months ago.  This is a 3 gallon tank on my book shelf and is super fucking easy to take care of.  I'd recommend it to anyone looking to get in the hobby.  I do nearly nothing to this tank and it's amazing to look at.  If you like smoking weed you could just space out for hours probably.

USB drive by the tank for scale. It stays on my bookshelf. The light is an "AI Prime" and is the most expensive part of the setup at around $150. They may be cheaper now. The other expensive thing is the Automatic Top Off or ATO. They cost around $60 or so and keep the water level constant by injecting fresh clean non salt water when the level drops from evaporation. Salt doesn't evaporate so if you had salt water in the ato you would slowly increase the salinity of the water until it was uninhabitable. 

DE00FDE6-4969-4BFB-A96D-5392249E418B.jpeg

edit: you can see the ball anemones in this picture just above the USB drive.  The little dot in the center is their mouth (and probably also their butthole).

edit 2: realized I didn't answer your question about bristle worms eating amphipods.... they don't and wouldn't be able to if they wanted to.  Amphipods are very much like shrimp.  Squirrely af if you try to threaten one, it'd be across the tank so fast that bristle worm would be wiffing on the bite.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...