Airbrush questions

Hitch14

Hey guys I have a question. My parents and family have been asking what i want for Christmas and I was either considering an airbrush or a set of Prismacolor markers. My ? is are airbrush machines worth it for drawing on paper/canvas or whatever and doing graffiti on paper type material? Which would you pick

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

when you buy an airbrush its more than just an airbrush. you need paints, air hoses, a compressor or aerosol cans filled with compressed air. its a very expensive and messy tool.

however, some brands... Badger, Paasche. Badger's are good to learn on, Paasche's seem to be for more detailed work, though you can get most of the same effects from Badger, and if memory serves correct, Badger costs a bit less generally.

check out google for prices, search those brands or "airbrush" or something.

get an air brush, and with an air brush you can make money like,doing peoples shoes and tee shirts...prismas you cant,only good for sketch books,and some good co. are badger,iwata.but your gonna end up gettin cheap one first,cause your parents arent gonna buy you a 300 dollar brush unless you used em before

Originally posted by LEFTone@Dec 11 2005, 08:28 PM

well im guessing you are under 12 if they are asking what you want for christmas

but id go with prismas because i have an airbrush and it is a pain in the ass cuz you have to clean it after every color

My grandparents ask my parents wat they want for christmas, my parents ask me wat i want, and i aint no where near 12.

Originally posted by STREETasmyCanvas@Dec 11 2005, 09:18 PM

steal the fucking prismas...

duh

I was going to say the same shit...Unless.............Anyways..What is it that YOU really want?...Are you in need of markers??...Are you financially stable to keep up with the airbrushes??..Cause of course u know you will be needin lots of stuff...As for the markers, they one hitters quiters, meanin thats all you really need...Do you have any experience with airbrushes??..You dont wanna get a $200/300 Airbrush and you gun fuk it up the next day...If you get a cheap Airbrush, trust me, no matter what you do its going to fuk up..Cause obviously its cheap...So there goes more money down the drain...Am I makin any sence here?..I hope so..I own a few Airbrushes...An Aiwata Eclipse bein my best one(And more expensive)..If you're not careful when it comes to maintenance, thats it for your shit..If I was you, I would go for the markers, fuk it, if you can rack em, just ask for the money and tell em you went and bought em, then spend the money on sum else.....If you're willing to spend a lil extra money on the Airbrush go for it..You have to learn either way right?..Good luck on your choice playboy..Peace..

Heres sum of my shit..

Paasche

Red.jpg

My Badger

Badger.jpg

Iwata Eclipse

Aiwata.jpg

I forgot to flik my compressor..Its a Badger silent one..Worth bout $200..So think bout it..If you can afford it , why not..

Guest Sparoism

^He's right...airbrushes are pretty high maintenance, and expensive. If you plan to make money with it by doing t-shirts and shoes someday, go for it. In time, it will pay for itself. Otherwise, the chances of you actually making full use of it are rather limited, 50-50 at best. If you are into other hobbies that require a little mechanical skill, that's a plus- if you're into disposable culture, get the pens.

I'd recommend Trias over Prismas, though- Trias are refillable and the nibs can be replaced.

Copics are really, really nice...and cost about as much as an airbrush setup. Come to think of it, both Tria and Copic have a compressed air system that is a good way to get the hang of airbrushing- it's not the same, but it's similar.

The other thing I just thought of is that if you're like me, it's better to go out and buy shit like airbrushes (in my case it was a sewing machine) yourself so you can ask a bunch of questions and get an idea of what you're getting into. If you get it as a gift, it's a lot easier to rationalize not sticking with it since you don't have any real investment in it. (That also came from personal experience.)

• 4 weeks later...

Eh,

I have had an airbrush for about 2-3 years now, yes I did buy the air compressor, and the hoses and the paints. it was about $300 all together, but worth it there are different needles and heads and PSI determine the consistantcy of the spray. Its better used with templates and tape to get that right look your going for. also be sure to get a duel action trigger.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

okay so I have been looking into getting an airbrushing kit for some time now and compressor but there are so many out there an idk which to choose. I have tried to find reviews and such but cannot seem to stumble upon them. but i do know that i would like a well known reliable//good airbrush kit brand ... so my questions are:

What would be the best airbrush kit, by a reliable//good brand for like $150 max? (meaning 150 for the airbrush kit, not the compressor)

And also I dont think i would need a very good compressor i was thinking more or less a mediocre.. unless that makes a huge difference. The price on that wouldnt really matter aslong as i would not be spending a fortune. Thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

why you gotta be 12 to tell your parents what you want for christmas...all the adults i knwo tell their parents what they want...otherwise the parents will get htem liek some dumb ass shit htey olready got...cause alot of parents tend to not like giving money so instead theyl;l give you some worthless shit if they dont have suggestions...but mine wouldnt buy me airbrush shit thats liek at least $300 with compressor...get a damn job