Clueless People

Gunm

i'm talking more about people that haven't really been exposed to different cultures or people. Folks who's understanding of the world rests heavily on the stereotypes they have learned over time and use as a crutch rather than adopt a more sensitive view to life.

Case in point: I spoke with a receptionist at a company today and she did not know who the hell i was looking for...

Me: "Well, can you do a directory search?"

Receptionist: "We have only one Johnathan here but he's not white, he's Chinese, you know.....oriental"

Me: (incredulousness giving way to laughing) "ha ha ha, did you just call him oriental?!?

Receptionist: "Well...yes....you know....oriental...them asians."

"Oriental" "Them Asians"

Me: ::speechless::

I am horrified a well known and respected silicon valley business has someone like this manning their phone. This woman was totally sincere.....she must have been a temp or something.

Anyone else ever deal with unconciousness stereotyping like this?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by LENS@Feb 10 2006, 06:11 PM

i'm talking more about people that haven't really been exposed to different cultures or people. Folks who's understanding of the world rests heavily on the stereotypes they have learned over time and use as a crutch rather than adopt a more sensitive view to life.

Case in point: I spoke with a receptionist at a company today and she did not know who the hell i was looking for...

Me: "Well, can you do a directory search?"

Receptionist: "We have only one Johnathan here but he's not white, he's Chinese, you know.....oriental"

Me: (incredulousness giving way to laughing) "ha ha ha, did you just call him oriental?!?

Receptionist: "Well...yes....you know....oriental...them asians."

"Oriental" "Them Asians"

Me: ::speechless::

I am horrified a well known and respected silicon valley business has someone like this manning their phone. This woman was totally sincere.....she must have been a temp or something.

Anyone else ever deal with unconciousness stereotyping like this?

no.

Originally posted by Gat:Bush@Feb 10 2006, 06:45 PM

most people are stupid, and that bitch is no exception.

it's cool though, cause calling her a bitch will fix it. ha.

people really just don't realize that 'oriental' is not synonamous with 'asian'. it's not any malicious act on their part. infact, they probably think they're being PC. you know ordinarily your girl would have simply been like 'he chinese.'

i've always found it a little funny that white people can be referred to as white, but regardless of tone, refering to someone as 'black' is often taken as ignorant. people are too sensitive in some ways and too ignorant in others. oh well. fuck em all.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Feb 10 2006, 04:06 PM

I called this guy I know who is a gay Jew with a penchant for sniffing his fingers a "filthy fingered faggot kike" and he got mad. What's up with that?

haha he sniffed his fingers?

what the fuck?

like he would just sniff his fingers randomly for no apparent reason? or would he like touch something and then proceed to smeel them?

Originally posted by seeking@Feb 10 2006, 06:56 PM

i've always found it a little funny that white people can be referred to as white, but regardless of tone, refering to someone as 'black' is often taken as ignorant. people are too sensitive in some ways and too ignorant in others. oh well. fuck em all.

Really, I don't know, maybe in some circles, but I think black is the more common term. "African American" as a popular phrase kinda died out back around '99 or so. At least where I be at.

Race is a big issue in America. People need to stop ignoring that and instead accept it, learn from the past and hopefully move on. I think that is happening more nowadays, but a lot of work still needs to be done. I, for one, am doing my part by having sex with as many white women as humanly possible.

Originally posted by CACashRefund+Feb 10 2006, 07:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CACashRefund - Feb 10 2006, 07:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Feb 10 2006, 04:06 PM

I called this guy I know who is a gay Jew with a penchant for sniffing his fingers a "filthy fingered faggot kike" and he got mad. What's up with that?

what the fuck?

like he would just sniff his fingers randomly for no apparent reason? or would he like touch something and then proceed to smeel them?

[/b]

his ass. he has an ass rash. it was so obvious. ughhhh.

Originally posted by azert@Feb 10 2006, 06:59 PM

From my experience, most americans are like that. Which is why I am ashamed when people ask what country I'm from. Some military people are worse than that because they live in the country but still don't know anything about their host country's culture.

yeah, lots of Americans think they're being politically correct when they call me "paki". Which I hate. If you're gonna call me a paki, be racist about it.

A lot of white people are just ignorant, but can you blame them?

People think graffiti writers are all cool and chill..haha..and girls too. Well, I remember being at a party and this dude was calling me a paki like fucking crazy...as soon as my mob of friends left (hmmmm). All these white and Jewish girls were there and he was just going on, calling me a "paki" and that when he thinks of brown people, he smells shit, and I was wayyyy too drunk to fight, and anyway, the white girls were just laughing...they loved it. Way to go, alpha male! way to go!

Originally posted by Weapon X+Feb 10 2006, 07:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Weapon X - Feb 10 2006, 07:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by CACashRefund@Feb 10 2006, 07:08 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Feb 10 2006, 04:06 PM

I called this guy I know who is a gay Jew with a penchant for sniffing his fingers a "filthy fingered faggot kike" and he got mad.  What's up with that?

what the fuck?

his ass. he has an ass rash. it was so obvious. ughhhh.

[/b]

oh my muh'fucking god, why did you have to say that ill shit?

I GOT ONE I GOT ONE

its short but still funny

We just fired a guy at work who comes in 10 to 20 min late everyday never does shit for work and smells of ass doesnt change his close and shit ok

so a guy who picks up our shipouts comes in and goes

"wheres the colored guy?"

I was like what the fuck and just started laughing he looked at me like i was crazy.

then i pulled his spinal colomn out through his stomach...