starting a lil teeshirt company

Coffie Crave

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all my replies tonight were a mixed bag of trying to crush your hopes and dreams simply because i'm bored, and it's kind of like peeing on an ant hole, and trying to get you to understand that it takes a whole lot more than a simple half-hearted desire to succeed. you're kind of the text book definition of a hamburger pimp. i'm sort of trying to get you to rise above that...or crash and burn in a hillarious way that we can all gawk at. i'd honestly rather see you do something cool, but i'd be pretty ok with watching you fail miserably too.

:haha: This shit is priceless

sorry but this sounds like a really really hasty business idea.

lots of red flags are popping up..you have no real financial plan, unless you're

going to mildly follow seekings..

you have no target market, unless the reference to yuppies is it, in which case

that's still not very focused in terms of what THEY want, what else they might

spend their cash on besides some stupid shirt, and a little thing called a customer

usage model.

my advice is don't go 'little'. by that i mean get past this idea that you're just gonna be really small, therefore you'll have low expenses, but big profits. think big, do the math over and over, figure out who

the hell you're trying to sell to, and why the hell they would buy these shirts off you,

and how many times you need to get in their face before they actually do buy a shirt off you. furthermore you need a unique, fresh, quality product in an insanely saturated market. without at least that you're fucked and throwing your money down the toilet. seriously, if you want to make some money off this you need to get serious about your business..your product, market and do the research.

Its funny you can see just by reading this who has had dreams of doing this vs. those who had the same dreams and have done the work to see what it takes to get it going.

One thing so many dreamers forget is the upfront cost of getting it rolling, thinking you can cut corners by doing smaller runs your cost is much lower when you do larger runs. Offset by the fact most major apparel companies make t's as a branding tool/accessory more than a margin or profit builder. They make the money on their jeans for one example and t’s are a little side thing for them … in that type of market a singe person/company just making t’s is likely to drown in competition.

Say you hit the emo hipster artfag market with a cool design … where do you take the product to sell it in, how do you ensure a good sell through, at the end what kind of margin is your dealer making to incentive them to buy more ?? These are the end questions you are not looking at cuz you have no experience with them, however they are the variables that will kill the project if they haven’t been addressed when you are pre-planning this whole thing.

But if you plan to learn from mistakes and bad experiences do it.

man, just make your shirts..most likely..they won't sell and will end up costing you a lot of money..but don't let that be your end objective cuz really thats just stupid unless you're hellbent on being a business man and not a t-shirt designer..focus on the QUALITY OF YOUR WORK..do that enough times with enough different projects and it may be the springboard you need to do what you actually want to do..cuz really who wants to make wack ass graff t-shirts for a living?

also stop asking niggas advice on a message board, that shit is corny

Originally posted by Coffie Crave@Jan 31 2006, 02:53 AM

smart...im lazy but gosh! i guess im going to have to exsplane this...to you

im on a budget for now.. i rather get M and L because thos will sell out faster than Xl and XXl... its a fact.. i can put money on it... unless someone is over weight, only wanksters, are going to be buying fubu jerrsy at the mall... its the city yuppys, that like to have fitting stylish clothing its the way it is...dont get pissed at me

so if im on a low budget, im going to try my luck with M and L rather than Xl and XXl , from what i kno and seen...

if you are on THAT tight of a budget, don't even bother, unless you are doing some fly by night thing. seeking is totally on point with his printing info, take his advice.

save your money, get some loans and go open a dunkin doughnuts.

here, i'll give you one for free...

you wanna use the name 'high hopes'? you wanna sell them to hipsters? one word: COKE. make a bunch of designs featuring people doing blow, or lines of blow, or anything else that will make a coked up hipster be the envy of their friends, and you've got yourself a winner.

please be sure to come back and thank me when you actually sell out of [my] designs.

seeks/i'm like tom vu, with yachts an mansions

• 1 year later...

if teeshirt making was a easy way to make money, everyone would be doing it. first off.

secondly, i tried this myself, and although i made a lil money, lost some on another batch, i learned a ton as far as business goes.

i would go into more detail to help you out, but i assume id fall upon deaf ears.

so here goes a few quick things to know:

-know and understand your target market

-make the shirts available to the largest audience possible (design wise and selling wise)

-shirt designs need to be unique and something people wanna buy, and just because you think its cool, other people might not.

-get the best quality shirt you can for the cheapest price possible.

and if youre not making your shirts for $4 or $5 bucks a pop, (buying the shirt and the print) you won't make much money at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
pretty much, i always had the idea...and last night i sorta laid around thinking...so i woke up put the coffee on and got to work...everything is pretty much set up...im just stuck with printing opitons, once i get that going i can get the ball rollling...

i wanna make cool shirts, for a cheap price... teeshirts shouldent cost 70 bucks...

you should make them yourself with fabric paint or with t-shirt transfers, or learn how to screenprint

• 2 weeks later...