stencils are a cop-out.

JFKFC

basically, i call bullshit on stencils. all of them. shepard fairey, banksy, you name it. bullshit. it takes no talent, but these clown-ass stencil makers want to be considered bombers or "street artists" or whatever. all you need to do is learn a little photoshop, paste the picture you make on poster board and make some cuts with an exacto knife. stencils deserve no props at all. there's no comparison between what it takes to get good at traditional graff--working on hands, throwups, characters, straightletters, burners...learning all the can control and painting something in a risky spot that actually requires you to do some work instead of putting your silly posterboard against a wall and spraying over it. and before someone even tries to say i'm just jealous because bansky and obey the giant are so famous, i'm not dissing them because i'm jealous. i'm dissing stencil-makers because i think they have no integrity and are trying to get the props that a real writer deserves by doing some lazy artfag bullshit and taking a short cut around the years it takes to develop style and can control. honestly, i'd rather see the most toy-looking badly painted piece than the best stencil ever made because with a piece at least someone is making an attempt to actually paint. i'm posting this rant because i feel like a lot of these kids who are out doing stencils and wheatpasting probly would have been writers if it wasn't so easy to do that other bullshit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i've seen what's supposed to be "decent stenciling" and again, reread the first post i made...i'd rather see the most toy-looking badly painted piece than the best stencil ever made because with a piece at least someone is making an attempt to actually paint. it doesn't bother me if a moderator closes this thread because i already said what i had to say. however, this is the graffiti discussion forum so why would it be necessary to close this if i'm stating an opinion and posting it where it's supposed to be? i'm not putting this in the stencil thread or anything. you're entitled to think stencils are hot and banksy is the shit, and i have just as much of a right to think your so-called artform is a joke. i'm sick of people thinking stencils are on the same level as traditional graffiti cause it's not even close.

i'll bet a hundred dollars that you suck. i'll bet you've got no hand, no throw, no straight letters, no characters, no burners and no style. you know how i know? cause if you had them, you wouldn't be worrying about what the next man is doing. you don't like stencils? go over them in the street, don't whine on the internet.

seeks/go get a late pass [sTEP!]