justifying ignorance.

seeking

Originally posted by MEROJUANA+Jan 28 2006, 06:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MEROJUANA - Jan 28 2006, 06:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BEEFEATER@Jan 28 2006, 06:03 PM

Wait, isn't it Rappaz R N Dainja?

YEAH THATS WHAT IM SAYIN? THATS A KRS SONG RIGHT? I SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF MYSELF FOR NOT BEIN 100% SURE OF THAT.

[/b]

nah my dude, its like not noticing your girl's updo, you know something's up its just not relevant.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, if your boss tells you your uniform is a suit, you wear the fucking suit. its a pretty easy concept. if he wants you to wear a fucking suit on the court while you play, you do it.

they do the same shit at jack in the box. dont wear your gear your fired.

oh yeah, and your getting 7 mil to throw a fucking ball around. sure its a game but whos paying you to play.

race relations in america are fucked up.

Originally posted by T.T Boy@Jan 28 2006, 06:31 PM

ok, if your boss tells you your uniform is a suit, you wear the fucking suit. its a pretty easy concept. if he wants you to wear a fucking suit on the court while you play, you do it.

they do the same shit at jack in the box. dont wear your gear your fired.

oh yeah, and your getting 7 mil to throw a fucking ball around. sure its a game but whos paying you to play.

race relations in america are fucked up.

context vs. content.

milton, i agree with everything you said about society keeping minorities down, although i generally expland it to include poor white people as well, because trust me, 'the man' doesn't give a fuck about white trash people either. but honestly, are you telling me that black people, as some sort of act of reciprocity, when given equal footing, equal pay, etc, should not be expected to act in the same manner they'd expect whites to? isn't that basically saying that they don't expect as much of blacks, because they're inherently incapable of raising themselves up 'white' standards? now, if we were talking about general education, or college entrance exams, i would agree that the playing field is incredibly uneven, but a man who is being payed 10,000,000 dollars a year?! that guy should not be expected to act in a professional manner? and do you think that white people as a rule just hang out in suits? and if you really want to get right down to it, next sunday go to a black church and a white church and tell me which one has more suits in attendance. a million dollars says its the black church.

i'm not agreeing with the leagues dress code, although i certainly don't think it's excessive, what we're discussing is the idea that it's somehow 'racist' to expect black players to dress in the same manner as everyone else on the team.

Seeking,

I'm not saying that black NBA players should be allowed to dress however they want at all. I agree with you, Master P, and TT Boy in the belief that they, as well as every other player, should dress appropriately during press conferences, etc. On the other hand I understand wanting to disassciate yourself symbolically from those who have oppressed you.

The dress appropriate to formal occassions is dictated in general by white culture, and so it makes sense to say "I don't want to dress like they dress." But, as far as I'm concerned that argument runs out of steam quickly. The dress code required of modern professionals in any field is not racially motivated in my opinion. If I showed up to work dressed in a puffy coat and timbs, I'm certain that I would be asked not to return. If you look at the civil rights leaders above, all of them dressed in suits, none of them wore beanies and platinum chains. In fact, during the early civil rights movement many minorities fought for the right to dress "like white people." There were laws in the deep south regulating how the black population could dress. What it comes down to in my mind is this: If you want to play in the game, if you want to work for change, you have to use the tools that are designated for that task. You have to dress appropriately in order to garner respect for what you're trying to say. That, in my opinion, is nothing new.

Also, the point of dissassociation is a theoretical one only. The "demonstrating our culture" argument is a post hoc justification for the players. They wear what they do because it is "hip" and gives them "street cred." You're a professional, you make $10,000,000 a year, your street cred left the day you signed the contract. Also, if you're trying to show your blackness there are more appropriate ways to do so than dressing like "rappers." For instance, I know many black professionals who wear "african" or "african-inspired" clothing and it is completely appropriate. I'm sure Phil Jackson would have no problem with this. I guess, in my opinion people who do not speak and dress like professionals are more a part of the problem than the solution.

That was quite disjointed. In sum, I agree with you...

THE BOTTOM LINE OF THIS WHOLE SHIT IS...RICH WHITE PEOPLE RUN SHIT. SORRY NIGGAS, ITS THE TRUTH. YOU EITHER FUCK WITH THE RICH WHITE PEOPLE AND DO AT LEAST 80% OF WHAT THEY WANT, OR YOUR ASSED OUT. THATS IT. RICH WHITE PEOPLE DONE RAN SHIT FOR SO LONG THAT THEY MADE THE SHIT THAT THEY DO "THE NORM". THATS ALL, IF 50 CENT WOULDA DISCOVERED AMERICA AND STARTED THE GOVERNMENT AND ALL THAT, AND WHITE PEOPLE WERE SLAVES ON WATERMELON FIELDS THEN IT WOULD BE WHITE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW THEY'RE OPRESSED AND THAT ITS NOT FAIR THAT THEY HAVE TO WEAR G UNIT HOODIES TO PRESS CONFERENCES INSTEAD OF THE XXXS "BIG JOHNS BAIT & TACKLE" TSHIRT THEY GOT AT THE SALVATION ARMY. I LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT CUZ IM TRYING TO MAKE SOME KIND OF PLANS TO LEAVE THE CRIB AND GET FUCKED UP...BUT YEAH, SUMMARIZATION: RICH WHITE PEOPLE RUN THE WORLD HOLLER AT THEM, THEY MIGHT CUT YOU A CHECK IF YOU WEAR A SUIT.

Originally posted by Milton@Jan 28 2006, 07:26 PM

You're a professional, you make $10,000,000 a year, your street cred left the day you signed the contract.

co-sign. this statement is like source code for hip hop.....

i CANNOT agree more with this statement. we need to scroll this fucking statement on every gangsta ass nigga that come on 106&park :( . like some cnbc defcon 7 terror alert shit. only for the hood feel me ;)

in every black area, there are suit stores nearly as frequently as their are hair salons and check cashing places. black people LOVE getting dressed up for shit. gators anyone?!?!

all over the world, in nearly every country (save for perhaps the middle east) people of every race, color and ethnicity wear suits at the office place. it's the universally accepted garb of professionals. it's not some ploy by white people to try and 'de-black' anyone. but even if that were the case, if the only thing keeping someone 'black' is their dress, then millions of 'wiggers' all over the country just became as black as the next (black) man.

this whole thing is based on a gigantic double standard.

Originally posted by SPRACK ATTACK@Jan 28 2006, 05:08 PM

man seeking's really starting to wise up. i never thought i'd say this, but i'm impressed. haha.

'starting' to wise up? apparently you're new. i used to have threads like this on the regular. i just took a break from talking about 'real' stuff' for a while.

Originally posted by MEROJUANA+Jan 28 2006, 05:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MEROJUANA - Jan 28 2006, 05:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SPRACK ATTACK@Jan 28 2006, 05:31 PM

^^i hope youre joking

ITS TRUE, NIGGAS PUT HIPHOP AND ALL THAT URBAN SHIT IN ALL KINDS OF BASKETBALL ADVERTISING, VIDEO GANES...SHOE COMMERCIALS AND ALL THAT OTHER SHIT, SO BASICALLY MUTHAFUCKAS CAN ACT LIKE A NIGGA IN A COMMERCIAL FOR THE NBA, BUT NOT AT A PRESS CONFERENCE FOR THE NBA... :rolleyes: SHIT DOESN'T MAKE ANY KINDA SENSE.

-JELLY

[/b]

you're still totally missing the point. i dont think the comissioner of the NBA is "against youth fashion." i dont think he much gives a crap about "youth fashion." what he cares about is whether or not someone looks like a total moron when appearing in front of millions to represent this company. you guy's are having a real hard time wrapping your heads around the concept that there's a time and place for everything. grow the fuck up already.

what am i saying i dont even watch televised sports im gonna go get fried.

i like this thread. sometimes at work ill pretend like i cant understand what black customers are saying when they speak ebonics. trust, this angers people.

on the subject tho, i really dont understand all this shit. if i was a millionaire i would be rocking a nice suit every fucking chance you gave me. i think as a country weve worn gloves when handling race issues far too much, and now its just coming back to bite us.

Originally posted by SPRACK ATTACK+Jan 28 2006, 08:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SPRACK ATTACK - Jan 28 2006, 08:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by MEROJUANA@Jan 28 2006, 05:46 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-SPRACK ATTACK@Jan 28 2006, 05:31 PM

^^i hope youre joking

ITS TRUE, NIGGAS PUT HIPHOP AND ALL THAT URBAN SHIT IN ALL KINDS OF BASKETBALL ADVERTISING, VIDEO GANES...SHOE COMMERCIALS AND ALL THAT OTHER SHIT, SO BASICALLY MUTHAFUCKAS CAN ACT LIKE A NIGGA IN A COMMERCIAL FOR THE NBA, BUT NOT AT A PRESS CONFERENCE FOR THE NBA... :rolleyes: SHIT DOESN'T MAKE ANY KINDA SENSE.

-JELLY

you're still totally missing the point. i dont think the comissioner of the NBA is "against youth fashion." i dont think he much gives a crap about "youth fashion." what he cares about is whether or not someone looks like a total moron when appearing in front of millions to represent this company. you guy's are having a real hard time wrapping your heads around the concept that there's a time and place for everything. grow the fuck up already.

what am i saying i dont even watch televised sports im gonna go get fried.

[/b]

I can't wrap my head around how retarded you are. David Stern uses baggy clothes and slang and all that to sell the NBA. But he also condemns that fashion. Do you get it?

Shit, you don't even watch sports, so you're automatically gonna hate.

Which reminds me. I know white people who pride themselves on not watching NBA. They don't outright say it (that often), but I can tell it's like a white brotherhood code. "Nah, I don't watch basketball" is code for "fuck them niggers". I'm serious, too.

Originally posted by seeking@Jan 28 2006, 08:59 PM

. it's not some ploy by white people to try and 'de-black' anyone. but even if that were the case, if the only thing keeping someone 'black' is their dress, then millions of 'wiggers' all over the country just became as black as the next (black) man.

A vast majority of blacks only have their dress and slang to separate them from white people anymore. It's no longer culture that does the separating, it's what's shown on TV that creates a new contemporary ghetto youth (black or white) culture every 3-4 weeks when some Young Jeezy video premiers. You get all new slang, all new weave ideas, all new ways to make yourself look like an asshole every day.

I bought out of the hip-hop culture awhile ago and started to see only the bad in everyone.

I also hate basketball.

Originally posted by heel.moeilijk@Jan 28 2006, 10:43 PM

A vast majority of blacks only have their dress and slang to separate them from white people anymore.

ummm, not to be rude, but that's simply idiotic. black 'dress' is nearly as commonplace on whites as it is on blacks. black 'slang' is spoken in every white household in the country. what black people have that 'seperates' them from whites is their skin color. and if they're so concerned with being seperate, why do they continue to complain about white society not including them?

A. Why did I just see the Eastside Boys doing a remix of LONDON BRIDGE with 'Lil Jon saying what. It went as follows: London bridge is falling down WHAT?! falling down WHAT?! falling down WHAT?! About two weeks agoI saw Lil Jon at the club. Rocking sunglasses at night and shit...

B. Why does the one Ying Yang Twin always have to talk for the other one. It makes other dude look ridiculous and is slightly homo-erotic...

you know there were white slaves in america before there were black ones right? folks coming over from euro signed work contracts to pay for passage over.

also, america got what like 12% of the africans in the slave trade? compared to the 46% that went to brazil, while really fucked up in many ways doesent have the racial problems on americas scale. and in some ways still has slavery yet still seems to be more relaxed when it comes to things like that. as far as i can tell.

im an hour away in distance, but a million miles away at the same time.