justifying ignorance.

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by PushbuttonWarfare@Jan 28 2006, 07:37 AM

Ok, well heres another question - Is there a cultural equivalent of hessians in the black community? Thats really what I wonder.

in american history yes but not by choice....did that make sense?

i know more about the history african/native american and haitian /french mullatos in the louisiana new orleans area than actual african american history overall since it is directly related to my bloodline .

all i can really say about myself and the way i was raised is alot of the old old time new orlean habit is in me as a direct result of being stuck in the middle racially..

edit*

maaaan this is why i dont go in crossfire ..i cant type a response to save my life...i guess its cause you cant slap a person over the internet

I think the issue boils down to what conception we use regarding "race" and racial equality.

Since the mid 80's the majority of the United States (esp. politicians, lawyers, et al.) have used the "colorblindness" paradigm. Basically the idea is that everyone should be treated equally regardless of color. This kind of view sort of sweeps the underlying racism and racial problems under the rug in that racism still exists on a large scale, it's just hiding behind the gauze of "colorblindness." For instance, while many black American's are very poor and can't afford good schools the SAT is set up to benefit those who attend good schools and have a good education. Colorblindness prevents affirmative action and states that everyone should be judged on their merits, but uses a dubious definition of the idea of "merit." (ie. why is a silver-spoon fed white male with a 1450 on the SAT more meritorious than a poor black female who only scored an 1150?) The "colorblindness" system eventually breaks down in this manner so that it actually prizes whiteness while maintaining the idea that all are equal. It is, not surprisingly, a white man's world to this day.

As an illustrative example: An acquaintance once told a friend of mine that she "didn't think of him as black" and that she "thought of him as one of us." He became offended and she didn't understand. In her view she was being "colorblind" in saying that she simply viewed him like all other people. But what she was really saying is "you're good because you're [white] like us."

As a backlash to the forced conformity of "colorblindness" and the poverty/disenfranchisment placed on blacks by the feigned equality, black culture has spawned a reactionary movement. The idea is that because the laws are equal blacks must pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but they are given no opportunity to do so and have been held in a perpetual state of poverty since the days of emancipation. In fact this condition was intentionally imposed upon them in the south and the remnants maintain today. See for example the backlash of Hurricane Katrina. The displaced population was mostly black, mostly poor and mostly uneducated.

Thus the black culture as a reaction to their forced "whitening" without being given equal opportunity sought out something that could be their own. The hip-hop movement is a product of the ghetto culture that was a product of false equality. The idea is a refusal to conform to the ideals of whitness. This breeds the refusal to dress, talk or act like white people. Combined with a lot of people who feel that someone who "acts white" is selling out his culture, the issue becomes devisive. Should the black athelete (or business man for that matter) embrace the imposed "equality" when that equality is not, by any stretch of the imagination equal? On the other hand, should he maintain his cultural heritage at the loss of opportunity?

Originally posted by MEROJUANA+Jan 27 2006, 09:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MEROJUANA - Jan 27 2006, 09:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>THAT SHIT MASTER P SAID ABOUT "THIS IS THE GUY THAT SIGNS YOUR CHECKS" IS PRETTY TRUE, BUT REALISTICALLY, WHO CARES WHAT THESE NIGGAS WEAR? THE NIGGAS ARE PLAYING BASKETBALL THEY ARENT "WORKING BASKETBALL" THIS SHIT SHOULDNT EVEN BE AN ISSUE. IF SOME PRIME MINISTER DUDE WENT TO THE U.N. WITH A DURAG ON, THEN NIGGAS WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM, IF BILL GATES WENT TO A PRESS CONFERENCE TO UNVEIL SOME GROUNDBREAKING SOFTWARE WITH A WHITE TEE AND UPTOWNS ON THEN THERE WOULD BE A PROBLEM. HONESTLY WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT KOBE IS WEARING AT HIS UNNECESSARY PRESS CONFERENCE WHERE HE'S TELLING ME THAT MINNESOTAS DEFENSE WAS GREAT AND THAT HE'LL BE COMING OFF THE BENCH TUESDAY? I THINK ITS A JOKE THAT NIGGAS WHO PLAY A GAME FOR A LIVING ARE EXPECTED TO DRESS A CERTAIN WAY AND HAVE A DRESS CODE AND BLAH BLAH BLAH...THAT SHIT IS STUPID B. THERES A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING AND BASKETBALL ISNT A PLACE FOR A SUIT AND TIE. IF ANYTHING, NIGGAS SHOULD DO PRESS CONFERENCES IN FULL UNIFORM IF THEY WANNA "REPRESENT THE ORGANIZATION". PHIL JACKSON IS AN IDIOT B. NIGGAS JUST WANNA MAKE A BUNCH OF GHETTO PEOPLE NOT LOOK GHETTO SO AS TO NOT FRIGHTEN MIDDLE AMERICA...OK THIS GHETTO NIGGA IS MAKING 7 MILLION A YEAR AND YOU PUT HIM IN A SUIT AND TIE BUT GUESS WHAT, HE'S STILL GHETTO. NEXT THING YOU KNOW MUTHAFUCKAS WILL WANNA MAKE THE SHOOTAROUND A BLACK TIE AFFAIR. BOTTOM LINE, BASKETBALL IS A GAME, AT LEAST TO ME. SO THAT DRESS CODE SHIT GOES OUT THE WINDOW. HOLLA AT ME.

-JELLYYYYYY

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Milton@Jan 28 2006, 03:31 PM

I think the issue boils down to what conception we use regarding "race" and racial equality.

Since the mid 80's the majority of the United States (esp. politicians, lawyers, et al.) have used the "colorblindness" paradigm. Basically the idea is that everyone should be treated equally regardless of color. This kind of view sort of sweeps the underlying racism and racial problems under the rug in that racism still exists on a large scale, it's just hiding behind the gauze of "colorblindness." For instance, while many black American's are very poor and can't afford good schools the SAT is set up to benefit those who attend good schools and have a good education. Colorblindness prevents affirmative action and states that everyone should be judged on their merits, but uses a dubious definition of the idea of "merit." (ie. why is a silver-spoon fed white male with a 1450 on the SAT more meritorious than a poor black female who only scored an 1150?) The "colorblindness" system eventually breaks down in this manner so that it actually prizes whiteness while maintaining the idea that all are equal. It is, not surprisingly, a white man's world to this day.

As an illustrative example: An acquaintance once told a friend of mine that she "didn't think of him as black" and that she "thought of him as one of us." He became offended and she didn't understand. In her view she was being "colorblind" in saying that she simply viewed him like all other people. But what she was really saying is "you're good because you're [white] like us."

As a backlash to the forced conformity of "colorblindness" and the poverty/disenfranchisment placed on blacks by the feigned equality, black culture has spawned a reactionary movement. The idea is that because the laws are equal blacks must pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but they are given no opportunity to do so and have been held in a perpetual state of poverty since the days of emancipation. In fact this condition was intentionally imposed upon them in the south and the remnants maintain today. See for example the backlash of Hurricane Katrina. The displaced population was mostly black, mostly poor and mostly uneducated.

Thus the black culture as a reaction to their forced "whitening" without being given equal opportunity sought out something that could be their own. The hip-hop movement is a product of the ghetto culture that was a product of false equality. The idea is a refusal to conform to the ideals of whitness. This breeds the refusal to dress, talk or act like white people. Combined with a lot of people who feel that someone who "acts white" is selling out his culture, the issue becomes devisive. Should the black athelete (or business man for that matter) embrace the imposed "equality" when that equality is not, by any stretch of the imagination equal? On the other hand, should he maintain his cultural heritage at the loss of opportunity?

Milton and Mero are on point..

I mean really, they just want niggas to dress up in suits and shit because seeing them in baggy clothes, durags and braids feeds into preconcieved notions on how they view "ghetto culture" or whatever the fuck you want to call it..but at the same time its just a fucking game and really how a nigga is dressed off the court doesn't affect what goes down on the court at all..and thats what they're paying them for..not for personal wardrobe choices or whatever..shit is racist, probably not in a way that most of ya'll get though...but whatever,White America needs to get over itself..

Originally posted by SPRACK ATTACK@Jan 28 2006, 05:31 PM

^^i hope youre joking

ITS TRUE, NIGGAS PUT HIPHOP AND ALL THAT URBAN SHIT IN ALL KINDS OF BASKETBALL ADVERTISING, VIDEO GANES...SHOE COMMERCIALS AND ALL THAT OTHER SHIT, SO BASICALLY MUTHAFUCKAS CAN ACT LIKE A NIGGA IN A COMMERCIAL FOR THE NBA, BUT NOT AT A PRESS CONFERENCE FOR THE NBA... :rolleyes: SHIT DOESN'T MAKE ANY KINDA SENSE.

-JELLY