Unearned Philosophy

Cracked Ass

I was perusing the "what superpower would you pick" thread and some heavier stuff occurred to me. People were fantasizing about what superhuman power they'd want, for getting over on walls or the opposite sex or whatever. It struck me that if you ever got your wish, it'd be fun for a while and then would start to suck. So you can stop time, and do pieces in outrageous places - so what? You'd quickly become king of wherever, but you'd know you cheated. Whoever was running your city before you did it the hard way. Your crown would be UNEARNED. Other superpowers would create other problems. Imagine being able to fly - great for a while. But you'd have to be ultra-careful about where and when you indulged. If any human saw you do it, they'd be in therapy for life. Would you want that on your conscience? Plus if you got the attention of the wrong people the government would come find you for research purposes pretty quick, and you'd be one caged eagle.

What I'm looking at is the philosophy of UNEARNED. It seems like human existence is best appreciated and enjoyed by those who EARNED. There's a lot more satisfaction in doing something big with very ordinary powers. By "earned" I'm not talking about getting a job and slaving away to pay your bills, although many who do take some pride in that self-sufficiency even if they don't like their work. I'm talking more about achieving goals through your own effort as opposed to taking shallow shortcuts.

The much sought-after superpowers aren't available, just fantasy. But I see an important parallel in the use of substances. People want to feel good, but maybe are missing the creative achievement angle, or have some other insecurity, and try for the shortcut of drink and drugs. It seems that the pleasure offered by drugs is UNEARNED pleasure, and you must pay for it later in hangovers, withdrawal symptoms, and depression.

I'm not preaching against substances, just throwing out a zen-like idea. There seems to be more fulfillment in pleasure that is earned.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

true, true....

about your points on drug use....

i have a thing with objectivity....

by definition it can't truly be achieved,

but every once in awhile a little cheeba

helps me personally get what i would

call faux objectivity...i find that you

can get a certain amount of objectivity

from some buds if you smoke rarely...

certain situations and what not can seem

completely fresh and clear..for me anyhow..

i find that sometimes i can figure stuff out

this way if i'm in a rut or can't figure something

out visually...i wouldn't say its an insecurity.....

i guess maybe its an easy way of getting

an answer.....but its not like i'm totally beyond

recognizance and my brain is functioning

on an extreme level of dysfunction where

i'm able to tap into something that isn't in me

in the first place....bljjcbojwob'n

i have recently gave up on drinking an smoking an decided to become sober for the very reason ur talking about earned pleasures an all that , i know what u mean , i felt it was time to let the somewhat crazyer life style behind , i felt i needed to rehabilitate myself i wanted my old way of thinking back and my old imagination i felt like i was losing originality in art an in just everyday thinking , weed was just away for me to say yea thats a good idea nomatter what my corny thought was ...just a easy way to agree with everything i do ...

Guest imported_Tesseract

I agree, however drinking and taking drugs ,when you're not either a junkie or an alcoholic, seems to be a desire of loosing control for a while,you poison yourself in order to feel things in a more extreme way or if you want to go deeper on that, live a death experience and remain alive. Most of the things we do have to do with death.

I also see a parallel in the situation you are when in love.Its a superhuman feeling and for a short period of time you feel like you have superhuman powers.You cant remain in love forever though

thats why Passion goes next to Earning as a value.

Its all about seeing things in perspective i supose,instant feelings and needs die fast,you wish to fly when you want to get away from a place and in the next moment you wish to be invissible so you can stay longer.

Earning leads you to other things in life and Unearning leaves you in someplace wondering whats the next place you wish to be.

And to get back on drugs, i feel that depression and hangovers are the result of a death experience that didnt end properly.The fact that you remain alive after all makes your previous feelings and experiences seem unworthy.Trying to give extra importance on instant feelings, using substances in order to detach your self from all external factors leads you to an instant life, where one one moment you wish to be a bear and the next you wish to be a fish...anything but your self

• 8 years later...

Great, its a good and relevant subject to address. In respects to drug use i think your way off the mark though.

Theres no way the use of drugs leads to a easy route to fulfilment, far from it.

I believe we take substances so indulgently in contemporary society as its all far too easy and trouble free for what our bodies and minds are innately formed to undergo.

So the introduction of substances simply introduces a struggle to fight against that is oh so necessary to keep ourselves feeling of worth.

The more serious issue i believe is the ease in which we can achieve so much today with so little effort (computers, internet, smart phones, aeroplanes)

The consistent journey mankind ploughs along in order to discover and create tools in which to make things 'easier' for ones self, with the thought of why it needs to be easier put aside as a secondary issue.

Which is where the depression of billions of people comes from, we can live 'comfortably' far to easily

Tesseract- i loved what you had to say

I started reading the 1st post before realizing that this thread is old as fuck and dude must of been high as hell when he wrote it.

Power to zap noobs brains from home at my computer?

I wish I would have a super cock.

Oh right, I already do.

SURPRISE, BITCHEZ!!!!!

It wouldnt suck to have the ability to have any superpower you wanted when you wanted. The you'd have an unlimited range to choose from on a whim. And cheating always feels great when you get away with it. It's like getting over on life.

I was perusing the "what superpower would you pick" thread and some heavier stuff occurred to me. People were fantasizing about what superhuman power they'd want, for getting over on walls or the opposite sex or whatever. It struck me that if you ever got your wish, it'd be fun for a while and then would start to suck. So you can stop time, and do pieces in outrageous places - so what? You'd quickly become king of wherever, but you'd know you cheated. Whoever was running your city before you did it the hard way. Your crown would be UNEARNED. Other superpowers would create other problems. Imagine being able to fly - great for a while. But you'd have to be ultra-careful about where and when you indulged. If any human saw you do it, they'd be in therapy for life. Would you want that on your conscience? Plus if you got the attention of the wrong people the government would come find you for research purposes pretty quick, and you'd be one caged eagle.

What I'm looking at is the philosophy of UNEARNED. It seems like human existence is best appreciated and enjoyed by those who EARNED. There's a lot more satisfaction in doing something big with very ordinary powers. By "earned" I'm not talking about getting a job and slaving away to pay your bills, although many who do take some pride in that self-sufficiency even if they don't like their work. I'm talking more about achieving goals through your own effort as opposed to taking shallow shortcuts.

The much sought-after superpowers aren't available, just fantasy. But I see an important parallel in the use of substances. People want to feel good, but maybe are missing the creative achievement angle, or have some other insecurity, and try for the shortcut of drink and drugs. It seems that the pleasure offered by drugs is UNEARNED pleasure, and you must pay for it later in hangovers, withdrawal symptoms, and depression.

I'm not preaching against substances, just throwing out a zen-like idea. There seems to be more fulfillment in pleasure that is earned.

This way of thinking isn't new, in fact, this is the way people thought before America went into social / economic decline.

I think most people now look at the results of hard work, and don't value the process of getting to those results and would prefer to have it handed to them.

This is the exact kind of thoughts and values my grandfather was trying his hardest to pass on to us.

The funniest thing to me are the majority of lottery winners end up being broke within a few years plus loose the family/spouse over greed.

I've read a lot of interviews that state winning the lottery ruined their lives and they weren't prepared at all to live the dream.

It's kinda like how animals behave, searching for instant gratification instead of years of planning, putting in work, and taking risks.

The process itself of making something out of yourself is ultimately more rewarding than it's results if you can see past the surface.

i smoke a lot of weed and do a fair bit of psychedelic drugs also. but i earned them. cause i had to pay money for them. and ive never had a mental or physical set back from any of them.

but i find the original topic that Cracked posted is very interesting. It's just like people that when the lottery. A year down the road most of those people are not happy. even though they won huge sums of money. i do agree with the thought true pleasure can only derived from working towards the goal. instead of it being handed to you.

Fuck that nonsense.

Win lottery-->take a chunk and go nuts-->invest the rest in a high interest account-->live off interest forever-->travel-->happy motherfucker until I die from the excitement that my baller ass bank account delivers to me on my 99th birthday only to be brought back to life by implanting the heart of Chev Chelios into my chest which would then render me unstoppable and CHANK proof.

Archived