living in a van

Mr. Mang

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It's a good idea.

How much money are you looking to spend? I definitely reccomend getting one of these for about $90. It's basically a portable battery/outlet, which will be invaluable. First, if your van's battery dies (it will) you can jump start it in about 45 seconds without needing to find someone with a car/cables/any desire to take 5 minutes out of their day to help some dirtbag they don't know. Second, you can power your stuff from the unit directly, rather than wearing down your car battery more than neccesary. You can charge it from your car lighter while you drive, which should power it up enough to last the night-- as long as you're not trying to run anything crazy off of it. I can't stress enough what a luxury it is to have access to electricity. You can save a ton of money on the road if you're able to cook your own food. For another $100, you could get a small microwave, toaster oven, and George Foreman grill. They take up very little space, you can cook pretty much anything with them (short of a batch of cupcakes) , and it's the kind of shit you'll want to have when you eventually get a real place anyways. Also, if you're a coffee drinker, you should get a small coffeepot as well-- it will pay for itself in a week.

Rechargeable batteries are another good investment-- one of those things where spending an extra couple of bucks now will save you hundreds in the long run.

Also, everything Moogle said.

Guest Sparoism

You should look into getting an old VW Westphalia with a good engine...it'll slug up the hills, but it's aircooled and is already set up for camping. Just try to keep it clean and nondescript, and you should be able to get away with it...you will most likely get harassed sometimes, but if you just agree to move along everything usually works itself out.

I traveled the west coast for three years and got lots of hookups by just being friendly. I'm all for it.

i am 22 years old.

thanks everyone for all of their comments and input so far. i really appreciate it. this is why i love 12oz!

things i hope to accomplish on the trip:

freedom

macking sluts (maybe?)

lots of skating (especially parks/concrete parks)

shooting pictures

super8mm filming everything

relaxation

meeting new people

documentation

etc

etc

etc

i really dont know what i want to do with my life. i am not feeling college right now. i love where i live, but it would be good to visit old friends, make new ones, and try to make contacts along the way. it will definitely be a learning experience. if things dont work out after my interenship jobwise or i dont find anything that great, i can always move back to my home city and keep on keepin on. seems like a win-win to me...

man.. i really wanna get a dog and bring him with me.. but that might be pushing it a little bit.

i wanted to do this by motorcycle at first, but its just not as practical for long term. especially if i need to get a temporary job while i'm steady lurking out west...

Guest KING BLING

Why not move to the area with a van, hook up a place without a lease and get a job? I mean, what happens when you're there and suddnly an oppurtunity arises to go do something cool and you're like "man my trust fund only covers me for like $300 a week and that will mean I can't pay for food next week"? OR why not just offer a friend there a few hundred a month to crash on the couch or something?

It is so irrational and juvenile to plan on living in a van - thats a fall back plan. My friend moved to Southern Cali in a van, allowing him to keep most of his gear and have a place to crash while he got set up - but lviing like that reminds me of some hippy friends I have living in the local pak for a summer, it was very "I am 16 and only care about smoking weed and looking interesting"

Originally posted by methadone program@Jan 24 2006, 11:00 PM

yea go for it!

you will have fun stories to tell around the campfire...

my extent of van living was two cold ass weeks outside pontiac, detriot while traveling....miss ya robbie.

I live in pontiac for the moment and im always a paycheck away from living in my car.

Originally posted by Mr. Mang@Jan 25 2006, 03:58 AM

freedom

macking sluts (maybe?)

shooting pictures

relaxation

meeting new people

documentation

No bombin??? What's da matta witcha???

Originally posted by SF1+Jan 25 2006, 05:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SF1 - Jan 25 2006, 05:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mr. Mang@Jan 25 2006, 03:58 AM

freedom

macking sluts (maybe?)

shooting pictures

relaxation

meeting new people

documentation

No bombin??? What's da matta witcha???

[/b]

On 12oz you never know ... but one could assume that is an unspoken goal.

When I first read Jugs post...it came across as this

Originally posted by Gigantic Jug+Jan 24 2006, 06:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gigantic Jug - Jan 24 2006, 06:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>he would go into my house to eat me and my cousin

[/b]

then I realized I read it wrong and it actually said this.

<!--QuoteBegin-Gigantic Jug@Jan 24 2006, 06:10 PM

me and my cousin would go into his van and play "house" and makeout.

ummm...you made out with your own blood and guts cousin? wow.

My Aussie boy did this in Canada in the summer/fall.Shit worked out well for him.He looked fucking homeless after awhile but he still had a hellova time.Girls still wanted some van sex,hook up with writers or tattoo shop guys and they will be able to help you shower,eat and party.

You said you wanted to skate,this is not a problem.Make boys with the locals and your set.

I know this kid, who was about to go to an east coast ivy league school. He was the son of a succesful immigrant father. A banker for a foreign bank that lived in america to handle buisness. Real strict guy. The son and father constantly get in arguments about the son, nothing the son did satisfied the father, even going to an ivy league school. So the son decided to not go to school. Buy a carpeted utility. Buy a parking pass for a west coast liberal school where his frends are. Park the van there. He lives in the van, kicks it with the college kids, sneaks into the dorms for showers and bathroom. Sneaks into the cafeteria and eats for free, i use the word sneak lightly, more like he blends in. Living the life.

Every summer my band goes on tour and we end up living in a van for about three months. I guess it might be easier for us because we're in contact with so many people, someone is willing to give us showers or a place to stay, but it's not always the case. Places like Flying J's and T&A's have showers that you can buy for like 9 bucks. Or you could Go up to a front desk at a hotel and ask for some soap because "your room ran out" and go jump in the pool and take a quick but quiet bath. For anyone who has ever stolen anything, food shouldn't be a problem. Like someone said before gas is the biggest worry as far as real shit you need to worry about but I'd hope your van has AC because driving through the U.S. in the summer blows without AC.

Should be a good time though. Bring blankets and music and you should be fine.

Good luck.