Shok 1 appreciation thread

Guest NATO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shok1-SINSTARS England

thanks b :)

i will tell her. we were just chatting online as it goes...

i really like your site. not many people over here are on that type of stuff. mostly banksy really with the stencil stuff...

hot diggety damn

holey crap,,,,this shit has pumped so more inspiration and influence in me it makes me want to go back to the drawing board and try out some new techniques, styles, Ideals, etc. ive allways veiwed viewed my work as stages of evolution but nowadays i seem to work on one concept i toss it in the trash after i execute it and work on yet another ideal but darn. im wordless right now this is gonna make me look at my surroundings and grab every little detail that interest me and incorporate it into my next pieces, i mean every thing from a blade of glass to circuit boards and even rusted metal. my mind is spinning faster than ever after seeing this stuff. thanks for producing such vivid works and keep it up much props Shok 1!

Re: umm......

Originally posted by graffitiSUX

whoever bought up only fools and horses......i know a few del-boy's from merry ol england. dodgy bastards, but always good for a laugh

Graff...I have a friend whose husband is from England. And quite homesick when it comes to comedy tele. So he has a friend back home send him videos of all kinds of comedy shows. And since I very much enjoy british humor, I borrow these tapes whenever I can. Which isn't very often. And now that I can watch BBC here in the states... I'm just about set. No more endless re-showings of The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances and One Foot in the Grave on Public Broadcasting late night. Now I can giggle at The League of Gentlemen and I can catch my fix of great music on Later with Jools Holland. In Britian these shows may be horrible, but in comparrison to American shows...

Shok... yes, thank you for bringing interesting conversation to the boards. It's been missing for quite some time and is desperately needed. Also, and this may be a side step question of personal interest to myself... how is the work done by She viewed by the writing culture in England? Is he considerd to be a wacky old man or someone who is breaking ground? I'm curious...

Personally I think he's an amazing artist. Definitely seems to be on his own when it comes to painting, or maybe it's by choice. Or maybe I'm just clueless.

Re: Re: umm......

Originally posted by Joker

Also, and this may be a side step question of personal interest to myself... how is the work done by She viewed by the writing culture in England? Is he considerd to be a wacky old man or someone who is breaking ground? I'm curious...

We don't get to see much these days .. maybe more active in the canvas/commission area. Writing culture in England ... we have one? ..er, well, I guess a majority may have him labelled as a wacky old man.

Re: Re: umm......

Originally posted by Joker

Graff...I have a friend whose husband is from England. And quite homesick when it comes to comedy tele. So he has a friend back home send him videos of all kinds of comedy shows. And since I very much enjoy british humor, I borrow these tapes whenever I can. Which isn't very often. And now that I can watch BBC here in the states... I'm just about set. No more endless re-showings of The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances and One Foot in the Grave on Public Broadcasting late night. Now I can giggle at The League of Gentlemen and I can catch my fix of great music on Later with Jools Holland. In Britian these shows may be horrible, but in comparrison to American shows...

Shok... yes, thank you for bringing interesting conversation to the boards. It's been missing for quite some time and is desperately needed. Also, and this may be a side step question of personal interest to myself... how is the work done by She viewed by the writing culture in England? Is he considerd to be a wacky old man or someone who is breaking ground? I'm curious...

Personally I think he's an amazing artist. Definitely seems to be on his own when it comes to painting, or maybe it's by choice. Or maybe I'm just clueless.

joker my man, see what you can do about taking a peep at a show called "time gentleman please". it is funny as fuck. i'm sure shok or loc12 have seen it. i'm not sure if its on the beeb tho, cos i usually watch it on skyone. but if your english pal can get a few episodes on tape, it's well worth it. "BACK OFF BRUSSELS!" lol

don't know that one.

i'm down with "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" and "Have I Got News for You". Those are the business if you're spiteful and like to see people cussing each other like me ;p

they like to put on dizzy people so they can take the piss out of them. i missed the Buzzcocks where that had Mel B but i heard the host crucified her!

Re: Re: Re: umm......

Originally posted by graffitiSUX

joker my man, see what you can do about taking a peep at a show called "time gentleman please". it is funny as fuck. i'm sure shok or loc12 have seen it. i'm not sure if its on the beeb tho, cos i usually watch it on skyone. but if your english pal can get a few episodes on tape, it's well worth it. "BACK OFF BRUSSELS!" lol

Pint for the gentleman and a fruit based drink for lady ...

It makes me laugh :crazy:

"She-"

i agree with Dek- he's really low profile within the culture these days. i know he did an exhibition with Daze and those guys in NY.

to me, thats pretty heavyweight.

before that, i suppose that opinions were divided. certainly him and Req seemed to have regard from a sector of the scene, especially round their manor (Brighton)

i know some mental bomber people who are well into them too, like Aroe.

i'm not mad into it myself, especially the newer stuff he did where the letter forms are kind of disappearing. but as an oldschool UK man i find it interesting that he stuck with that "skinny outline over a fuzzy background/bando/futura/TCA" style for so long that i reckon a lot of people now think he invented it :) i thought i clung onto that type of style for a long time. i only started to get out of it coming out of the 80's but parts of it are still useful to me - for example, it allowed me to get variation in line weight in my graphic style characters because there was so much emphasis on fineline paint control back then, TCA running the pressure out of the can etc.

it was interesting that in the early 90's i started to hear that whole "How did you get that line so thin?" thing again to a degree. like it was a lost technique over here or something.

skore kept with really fine outlines for a long time too. he was using the hycotes mostly and you naturally get a skinny line with them anyway.

i'm down with alan partridge too

seak was obsessed with black adder but when he visited he discovered ali g and watched the video over and over again. then he mail ordered the tape when he got home!

comedy

while we're on the subject of comedy, why isn't more graff funny?

the prime example to me is toast.

looking through his blackbook, i laughed out loud at 80% of the pages. theres not many writers i know that can do that...

Guest Ginger Bread Man

and then again life as a whole is one BIG comedy. why cant we relate the artwork to ones life COMEDY.

and mr shokazoolu very nice work

im working on a trip to europe soon hopefully i can catch some of your stuf

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

damn

i always wish there was more dialouge like this

i hate "Who's your favorite writer/crew..." convos. i like the mental or thought process that takes place in talented writers minds. especially those who are trying to push themselves or the medium as a whole. i feel like a fly on the wall inside SHOK's, and a few others, craniums. i wish i could live there and absorb it all. watch the thought "fly" by...

and on the subject of english comedy:

eddie izzard

nuff said

i find alot of bombing funny. like look at this mook fella. he has the cops tearing their hair out. and then seeing that pic of his etch tag on the graffiti busters van. pure genius. i would have loved to see their faces when they got back to their van and saw that. and the fact that when they arrested him, all they could pin to him was a couple of 'recieving stolen goods'. they must be going out of their minds

i've been feeling for a long time that there is a gap between what hiphop really means to me and what i see, and what i put in my art.

hiphop these days to me is about this kind of dialogue, about being constructive and expressive and creative. something that allows us to learn from each other.

if i go to a jam these days i dob't take in much of the "entertainment". i often don't get far beyond the front door because i really go there just to meet up with people and talk. thats not to say i don't appreciate what people are doing. i just find it harder to be a "consumer" of hiphop these days.

i want to be able to use my art directly as a mode of communication. it seems weird to me that i can say more by writing than i can with my painting. is it all about just making something interesting or pretty? thats important to me but i feel that it must be a means to some end at least some of the time.

so i'm searching for ways to improve the depth of communication that i can achieve. to close the gap between writing and Writing.

i just feel that we have this incredible mode of communication with an audience of peers who are by definition mostly dissidents.

as the world falls apart around us i find myself feeling increasingly guilty that i'm not trying to help do something about it.

look at what we have.

an army of... how many people are involved in the culture worldwide? directly? peripherally? how many have been involved over the last 30 or so years? 1000's? 10's of thousands? millions?

i have no idea.

we have all these people and we have an established media of our own. its mostly still free of intervention and censorship. its not owned by the tiny minority that control what is fed into our minds by the media. beyond the obvious vision of magazines and videos, we have a vastly more powerful medium entirely of our own.

its called Writing.

there are really no limits to where it can reach. there is no practical limit to what we can say if you consider what tools our natural evolution is handing to our community. we call it bombing. i say, lets makes a conceptual shift and consider it as something else.

Mass Expression.

ultimately it can't be stopped, and just one individual has the power to reach the eyes and minds of thousands or millions of people. the only final limit on what we can achieve is self-imposed by ourselves and our community.

All the tools are there right now. As it stands, we are mostly using it (i include myself here) as a tool of self-promotion. sure, there are also a multitude of other motivations, but at the root, in our heart of hearts, we're mostly looking for attention. respect from our peer group. a sense of worth.

"Fame"

but like the many who empower themselves from a point of poverty and then parade their riches in the form of superficial trinkets of conspicous consumption like gold and flash cars, are we not in some way merely cloning the status quo set by capitalism?

what is essentially different between a writer who puts his name all over a city and a corporation that does the same? a simplistic way to look at it is to say that we are different because bombing is not about money. but i think that the only real difference is a question of degree. because in the final extreme it mostly amounts to single-mindedly pursuing what you want and fuck everyone else.

so are we not just following their example while at the same time we consider that we are reacting to them?

it looks to me like most of our 30 years or so have been spent saying one thing

"Me"

there has obviously been exceptions. an obvious example would be some of Lee's whole cars, and many people in the scene are involved in some kind of political work i guess. but i'm talking about the bulk here.

i'm talking about moving beyond the Word and getting onto the Sentence. i'm talking about the possibility of using Style to draw attention to an idea rather than an ego. you got Style? ok, you cleared your throat. everyone is listening. now what are you going to say?

Am i saying fuck traditionalism? No!

do i think that what i'm saying threatens that? No!

there will always be the motivation to write the Name. what i would personally like to be able to do is maybe do meaningful things some of the time. even if we only reach our own community thats an awful lot of powerful people right there...

• 9 months later...
Guest SE4_2002
Originally posted by NATO

fuckin hell i was backpacking last year when all this went down never checked back. bump as the yanks say.

HAHAHA

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived