YO, WE SHOULD START A ROCK CLUB!

duh-rye-won

how 'bout sunday afternoons right after speedwalking?

anyone read anything good lately?

8194_pd115279full.jpg

reading this now. one of my favorite authors. i like historical novels. just started it, and it jumped right into some crazy mexican bullfighting shit. dopeness. i give the first 50 pages a big thumbs up.

C_0743486560.jpg

meh. carl hiassen style florida mystery shit. kinda funny. bitch got a chinese character tattooed on her titty which she later finds out means "hot sauce". hehe

1586217097.jpg

novel based on the plane crash out on long island 5 years ago. pretty interesting. recommended if you are a conspiracy nerd.

bangkok804.jpg

pretty dope! half thai, half white. buddhist cop in bangkok avenges his partners death. lot of funny shit. lot of funny crooked cop shit, buddhist philsophy, drugs, whores, gritty ass bang kok shit. the ending kind of fell apart, but still a cool book.

i want to try to write a book. doesnt seem so hard. but i guess it probably is.

-teh Grey Goose

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

0142000957.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

*Edit for Explanation

This is a pretty interesting book i picked it up after seeing the history channel show i decided to get into it.

Its really in depth, provides a good look inside the colombian drug wars, and i couldnt put it donw i read it from back to front like twice.

REALLY GOOD

After reading this i just started immersing myself in similar books that involving the cocaine trade. Next book im reading is gonna be about normans cay in the bahamas. Once a major hub for cocaine on its way to the us from south america.

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Jan 15 2006, 10:58 PM

0142000957.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

*Edit for Explanation

This is a pretty interesting book i picked it up after seeing the history channel show i decided to get into it.

Its really in depth, provides a good look inside the colombian drug wars, and i couldnt put it donw i read it from back to front like twice.

REALLY GOOD

After reading this i just started immersing myself in similar books that involving the cocaine trade. Next book im reading is gonna be about normans cay in the bahamas. Once a major hub for cocaine on its way to the us from south america.

ESCOBAR SEASON...IS THIS A MOVIE YET? I NEED TO WRITE THIS SCRIPT. HOLLA ALL I NEED IS A 2LITER OF SPRITE THATS ACTUALLY A 2 LITER OF DUST JUICE.

MERO MLBC

"...Violent, deafening, treetop world of 1000 Viet Nam helicopter missions...its vertical plunge into the thickets of madness, will stun readers as well..."

—Time

"A hypnotic narrative"

—Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, New York Times

"How extraordinarily touching it is that these men who have suffered so much still want to make us better...If I sound just a little overwrought, I defy you to read this straightforward, in many ways underwrought, narrative and feel any differently...filled with the grim humor of men under pressure, filled with details..."

—Robert Wilson, USA Today

"Unaffected, straightforward... His descriptions of flying air assault, med-evac and ammo-resupply missions make exhilarating reading...an important addition to our growing Vietnam War literature.

—C. D. Bryant New York Times Review of Books

"Mason recounts the war as experienced in mission after mission behind the cockpit's vulnerable Plexiglas windshield...Mason's gripping memoir...proves again that reality is more interesting, and often more terrifying, than fiction."

—John Patrick Diggins, Los Angeles Times

"A wry undertone of ironic wit...one of the best...a superb piece of story telling, really excellent."

—Larry Heinemann, (Close Quarters ), Chicago Sun Times

"The sounds and sensations of flying helicopters dominate...When he flies so does his book..."

—Lee Lescaze, The Washington Post

"It is very simply the best book so far out of Vietnam—the best book so far and the best book by far."

—Harry Levins, St. Louis Post Dispatch

"Simply told, honest, detailed, dramatic, outstanding!"

—Playboy

"...Chickenhawk is filled with vivid, terrifying war stories...one man's journey from youthful innocence to war-weary disillusionment."

—David Chandler, People Magazine

"Powerful stuff. Adrenaline highs. God!...Chickenhawk is brave and awful and specific."

—Margaret Manning, Boston Sunday Globe

"He was an everyday combat hero in Vietnam, and he has written quite a good book...endless cold sweat nights before and after repeated landings in enemy-ringed landing zones...the serious and intuitive business of flying helicopters in combat."

—Repps Hudson, Kansas City Star

"Rich, often relentless memoir...had me trembling, fidgeting, wanting it to stop, wanting to get those guys up, off the LZs (landing zones). Powerful scenes made me cry. Others were hilariously funny...Anyone who served in Vietnam...should read Chickenhawk. Anyone who wants to learn more about the war or who likes exciting reading should read it."

—John Del Vecchio (The Thirteenth Valley ), Philadelphia Inquirer

"A convincing memoir of action...Mr. Mason takes us step by step into the daily life of combat..."

—The New Yorker

"His prose, lowkeyed and carefully unemotional, lets the facts of misjudgment, destruction, mutilation, and death make their own cumulative and devastating effect. His report is exciting and moving and the ending is a bitter shock."

—Atlantic Monthly

"Vivid, authentic account of the air war...a wrenching personal chronicle."

—Lee Milazzo, Dallas Morning News

"A taut, simply written narrative.

—Stephen Brawn, Detroit Free Press

"One more fine addition."

—The Oregonian

"Mason's vivid story leaves the whine of the [turbine], the solid thumps of the main rotor, the ticks of bullets hitting the aircraft and the stench of the dead as solidly in your mind as if you had been there.

—Doug Clarke, Ft. Worth Star Telegram

"It's understated almost laconic tone gives it immense power...makes your knuckles turn white."

—Walter Berkov, Cleveland Plain Dealer

"...thrilling, harrowing, and, finally, full of moral questioning."

—Washington Post

"The sound of rotor blades...can be heard...by anyone who reads his book."

—James F. Vesely, Detroit News

"It ranks with the best of the Vietnam War books...a moving, poignant story..."

—Roger Jaynes, Milwaukee Journal

"...powerful, sustained descriptions...of men at war...painfully honest...an integral book about the war of attrition."

—Richard Mehalko, San Francisco Chronicle

"(Chickenhawk ) is by miles the best book on Vietnam since Philip Caputo's A Rumors of War."

—Houston Chronicle

"Chickenhawk is unique among memoirs of the Vietnam War. [Mason's] story is compelling without being sensational, informative without being political. Chickenhawk must take its place among the most rewarding narratives of Vietnam."

—Newsday

"Maybe Vietnam is best seen through a shattered helicopter windshield. Chickenhawk is one bloody, painfully honest, and courageous book."

—Martin Cruz Smith, author of Gorky Park

"...a detailed and fascinating account...a significant addition..."

—Vertiflite, Journal of the American Helicopter Society

"Chickenhawk ranks with the very best of the personal narratives to come out of Veitnam. It was a 'helicopter war', but until now, no one has told the story of these machines and the men that flew them. Mason more than makes up for the long wait. An absolutely superb piece of writing!"

—Tom Herbert, Vietnam War Newsletter

"Better than any movie about that war."

—P. Albert Duhamel, Boston Herald

"A stunning memoir."

—Publisher's Weekly

"...tells a compelling story in a straightforward and engrossing style...highly recommended."

—Library Journal

"...arresting, lean, cool, grotesque, telling."

—Mark Caldwell, Village Voice

"...classic descriptions of helicopter warfare that are among the most realistic and exciting in print...humor and pathos, anger and frustration...grit, grime and gore."

—Warren A. Trest, USAF Historical Research Center

"Well written, lively...detailed story of one man's year at war from his unique perspective as a helicopter pilot...a major contribution to Vietnam War literature."

—Lt. Colonel John A. Hardaway, USA Military Reviews

THATS NO LIE

0143036556.01._PE32_.Collapse-How-Societies-Choose-to-Fail-or-Succeed._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Jared Diamond's Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed is the glass-half-empty follow-up to his Pulitzer Prize-winning Guns, Germs, and Steel. While Guns, Germs, and Steel explained the geographic and environmental reasons why some human populations have flourished, Collapse uses the same factors to examine why ancient societies, including the Anasazi of the American Southwest and the Viking colonies of Greenland, as well as modern ones such as Rwanda, have fallen apart. Not every collapse has an environmental origin, but an eco-meltdown is often the main catalyst, he argues, particularly when combined with society's response to (or disregard for) the coming disaster. Still, right from the outset of Collapse, the author makes clear that this is not a mere environmentalist's diatribe. He begins by setting the book's main question in the small communities of present-day Montana as they face a decline in living standards and a depletion of natural resources. Once-vital mines now leak toxins into the soil, while prion diseases infect some deer and elk and older hydroelectric dams have become decrepit. On all these issues, and particularly with the hot-button topic of logging and wildfires, Diamond writes with equanimity."

1400054877.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Decades after the Sugar Hill gang burst onto the scene with "Rapper's Delight," the proliferation of hip-hop moves forward at a steady pace. ANGRY BLACK WHITE BOY is a chronicle of the effects hip-hop has had on America, racial politics, suburban youth, and Macon Detornay as he enters his freshman year at Columbia University.

Macon is a man on a mission to be known as "the downest white boy." For years, he has paid his dues to Black culture and Black folks, earning respect in most circles with his lay-it-on-the-line speeches, innovative poetry, and his hatred for "the man." Nevertheless, Macon isn't content to just be down. He smells a revolution brewing, and he is at its forefront - accidentally on purpose.

Mansbach's story enraptured me with its humor, lilt, and permutation of racial biases, issues, and scope. By creating a character who was totally different from, and almost antithetic to, any other I had ever read about, Mansbach won me over and held me captive in a story I had yet to hear. The writing was unpredictable and almost improvisational, and it fit the plot of this story without overshadowing the central themes and characters. ANGRY BLACK WHITE BOY gleams with brilliance, and I will never forget it."

powerBroker.jpg

"Moses gained a great deal of power as the years progressed and became less of an idealist and more of a pragmatic politician who as the steward millions of dollars in city, state, and federal funds for housing, parks, highways, and bridges created a system by which many sectors of society depended on him for jobs, contracts, and political patronage. Unions, politicians, contractors, developers all benefited from Robert Moses.

When picking up this book, I asked myself why the " Fall of NY" portion of the title. If you read the book you will understand that contrary to modern day urban planning, many of Moses' projects were more about his accomplishments than the people adversely affected by the projects. Whether it is the construction of Lincoln Center, the Cross Bronx Expressway, the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, the reader will see that no mechanism existed to balance the needs of building with the long term social ills that massive construction projects can create.

For anyone who has spent any amount of time in New York City or its surrounding suburbs, many questions are answered by reading this book. Many of these questions have to do with transportation and urban/suburban planning. Caro is highly critical of Moses as were many people during the end of his reign in the late 1960's, but he manages to be objective enough to give credit where credit is due. A book of this magnitude can only reach 1162 pages by being objective . "

Guest Sparoism

"Lies, And The Lying Liars That Tell Them" by Al Franken.

He pretty much roasts the Neo-Conservative movement, and has a lot of fun in the process. Reading about Sean Hannity flipping out, and his efforts to expose the Neo-Con media for being anything but fair and objective.....classic stuff.

Also, "Teach Yourself HTML 4 In 24 Hours"...working on some new skills.

Originally posted by JambaJuice@Jan 16 2006, 01:23 PM

If you want a book that's actually a good read, check out Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn.

Or if you want to save the world. This book deserves it's own thread!

ishmael.gif

this is a horrible book. So bad, it's not even laughable.

I'm assuming you're a 17 year old vegan alternative school student.

Originally posted by JambaJuice+Jan 16 2006, 07:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JambaJuice - Jan 16 2006, 07:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Jan 16 2006, 02:09 PM

this is a horrible book. So bad, it's not even laughable.

I'm assuming you're a 17 year old vegan alternative school student.

i'ts not about the story, there are a lot of good ideas in the book. sorry they went over your head.

[/b]

Oh shit, word! I thought the point was that gorillas can talk! Silly me!

That Gaiman book looks interesting. I was gonna borrow it from my buddy, but I had been watching "The Stand" that day, and didn't want to involve myself into Middle America weirdness too much.

Guest Sparoism

"Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig. Everyone need to read this at least once.

Carlos Castaneda, as well. Yeah, all of his books are good. I can't recommend one, I read them all and they're equally fascinating.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I've been working on a book for a while...well, it's a manuscript that is turning into a book.

It's semiautobiographical, with some sideroads into philosophy and the homogenization of modern culture. I have no idea when I'll be done with it...probably when the cows come home.