The Linux Thread

Guest Sparoism

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sparoism

I agree with Mainter, 12 oz. could use a computer forum. Unfortunately, that's not for me to decide.

Can anyone direct me to a place that has a list of directories for Linux and a brief explanation of what each one does? I'm running into some problems with this right now....thanks.

Update: Knoppix-STD is my hero. Orinoco drivers actually work with Kismet. Saves me having to recompile the kernel.

Also in the same vein, KisMAC is the shit if you are a Mac head. Yes, it just works.

Sparo: I've never used Grafpup, but I had a hell of a time mounting an external USB drive with Puppy 1.0.7.. maybe it's just me. I've heard good things about Puppy Linux otherwise.

the server 12oz runs off is a dual, dual-core opteron system running RH ES 4. i've been a linux fan for a while. though with apple's move to intel it's gonna be hard to justify pretty soon. especially once they rework the kernel to handle mysql more efficiently. i'd guess it'll be fixed once they release their first server os on intel architecture.

more on apple's shitty mysql support here: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=6

Guest Sparoism

Well, now I like 12 oz. even more!

J, I'm running off of the live CD so there's no problems...the site mentioned that there's some issues with mounting the USB drivers, and also the HD will only work in FAT-no NTFS partitions....

Dirty, I might need to talk to you at some point about how I can get a Linux box rolling...I'll find you somewhere...

Originally posted by Sparoism@Jan 16 2006, 09:43 PM

J, I'm running off of the live CD so there's no problems...the site mentioned that there's some issues with mounting the USB drivers, and also the HD will only work in FAT-no NTFS partitions....

I too was booting from the cd initially, but couldn't mount the external drive. The 3 partitions on the usb hard-disk were linux, linux swap, and vfat. it was for a work project involving vmplayer running on linux. I decided to use FC4 in the end since that's what I normally use.. I just figured puppy would be faster. But yeah, I don't know what was up. I know another guy who swears by it.. he uses it in an elementary school environment. I needed to get this project up and running so I didn't put much effort into getting Puppy to mount my drive.

For some reason I always thought that 12oz was running on Xserve hardware. Hopefully Apple can get those mysql & apache performance issues get worked out real soon.

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by j+Jan 16 2006, 07:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (j - Jan 16 2006, 07:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Sparoism@Jan 16 2006, 09:43 PM

I too was booting from the cd initially, but couldn't mount the external drive. The 3 partitions on the usb hard-disk were linux, linux swap, and vfat. it was for a work project involving vmplayer running on linux. I decided to use FC4 in the end since that's what I normally use.. I just figured puppy would be faster. But yeah, I don't know what was up. I know another guy who swears by it.. he uses it in an elementary school environment. I needed to get this project up and running so I didn't put much effort into getting Puppy to mount my drive.

For some reason I always thought that 12oz was running on Xserve hardware. Hopefully Apple can get those mysql & apache performance issues get worked out real soon.

[/b]

That's weird. All my music is on a USB external drive, so to run Gxine I just clicked on "Drives", located the D drive, and clicked "Mount" and all my mp3s were right there.

I'll switch over to Linux later tonight and repost once I figure out exactly how I did it. I'm haing some problems getting Grafpup to install- it's saying there's a kernel error, so maybe it needs a bugfix? I'll let you know if I get that straightened out tonight as well.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Jan 7 2006, 12:09 PM

linux, is ... not an operating system like windows that you're going to be able to know EVERYTHING about... in a couple months...

I do computers for a living (yeah, I'm like thirty-something) and have switched several folks over to Linux. With most of them it's not too difficult. ("Oh, this is like the Start button? OK...") especially with OpenOffice around. It's stuff like ipods and all the protected music/movie formats that make life a bit tough... so yeah, realistically to know 'everything' might take a while...

Unlike Windows though, if there's any part of the system you really want to know about, you can find ANYTHING out, because all the source code and support is freely available -- you can even talk directly to the developers! If you want to know how a part of Windows works, what can you do????? ;)

Very true... I know enough to get myself in trouble, and I mean that as a joke... the linux systems are

very easy to foobar if you get in there and fuck with enviroment variables in the command line, or use programs

that you have no idea what they do... experimenting with your linux can be dangerous, but it can also be a good

learning experience.

I still can't believe Misteraven made the switch. You are right though, windows does suck teh veritable e-wang...

I just remember talking to you a while back and you SWORE by the mac hardware and performance figures...

My step father, just got his dual core 4400+ Athlon64 running, and it really screams, I'm sure he could

run server softwares off of there. Really he uses it for beyondtv... go check that shit out on google

if you don't know what it is, it's the best "live tv" program out there, and it's better than tivo... blah blah

blah, I'm not trying to get off topic... but it would be cool if there was a similar solution on linux.

I've looked into mythtv before, and I'm not sure that they offer HDTV, which is what my step dad watches...

they may, I'm gonna go look into it, if I can get something put together that can thwart his pay program he uses,

he might switch.... Beyond TV offers alot of good options, like if you record in HD a show, when your computer is idle

BTV will automajically take the commercials out of your recorded shows, and it's just little knick knacks like that that

keeps my step dad with them, he'd rather pay for it than try to figure out how to make a linux work, me on the other

hand, I'm gonna see what I can find out, and I have so much spare computer shit around I could easily build about

3 or 4 more computers. I remember MythTv from watching that e-show that Kevin Rose does.

so right now i'm running os x tiger on my powerbook, and i plan on making my laptop to dual book linux and os x. i've heard this and that about it, and if i can actually get it done, it would make my life just great.

i'm new to this whole linux shinnanigans, so it might take me a bit. i'm currently running suse on virtual pc on my apple, but that shit lags too much for me, and so does windows xp on vpc.

so if anybody can help, please do. if not, then i'll post back in this thread when(if) i get dual booting to work.

Guest imported_b0b

I use Ubuntu. Most people won't ever need to use Linux and should stick to Windows or if they want to avoid the viruses and spyware they could always get a Mac.

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Jan 17 2006, 07:35 PM

I've looked into mythtv before, and I'm not sure that they offer HDTV, which is what my step dad watches...

Yeah it does. Also Myth is now integrated into the KnoppMyth distro so using a dedicated box with a good tv card just got even easier.

Guest imported_b0b

Also I got an oldish laptop (500mhz P1/16 mb RAM) I want to Linux up: anyone suggest a distro/kernel/desktop manager combo for me? Seen people suggesting Debian with fluxbox.

Originally posted by b0b@Jan 19 2006, 06:46 AM

I use Ubuntu. Most people won't ever need to use Linux and should stick to Windows or if they want to avoid the viruses and spyware they could always get a Mac.

Well, not necessarily true, there are some Mac viruses out there in the wild, and linux/unix is just as succeptable to attacks

as windows is, in fact I would go as far as to say that the attacks used against linux's are actually more complex than

what's used to screw up window's machines. To answer your question on distro's, I have always been partial to Red Hat...

now it's Fedora Core, but I dunno, I haven't experimented much with the other ones, I just know that RH is good... good

for what, I'm not sure, but I never had too many problems setting it up on a frankencomputer. Thank you for the info

on KnoppMyth...

Guest Sparoism

So I got an old laptop from a friend of mine (1999 Compaq Armada M700), and it works about a jillion times faster in Puppy than it ever did in Win98. So far, so good.

Naturally, a few things went wrong...I tried to do a full install of Breezy Badger (Ubuntu 5.10), and it got stuck in the CLI...for soem reason I couldn't make apt-get do my bidding...it would verify that the packages were there, but that they weren't installed. Somewhere along the way the CD-ROM drive stopped working, so it looked pretty bad for a minute..but, I got the drive to work so I immediately rebooted Puppy and counted my blessings.

So, my next task is to get all the Ubuntu crap outta there, and start over with Knoppix.

Oh, has anyone used Mixxx? It's supposed to be the best open source DJ program. I didn't have a whole lot of luck with the XP version, but I'm neither discouraged or surprised by this.

I'll let everyone know what happens, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sparoism

Okay, the laptop (Compaq Armada m700, 400 MhZ PII, 128 MB RAM, 6 GB HD) is now running Slax 5.0.6 Kill Bill (available here) like a champ. I installed it to the HD and used cfdisk to A) wipe out all of the remaining traces of Ubuntu, and B) partition hd5 as the 1GB swap and hd1 is now 5GB bootable Linux.

The only issue so far is the same one I've had all along- locating my MN-110 USB Ethernet adapter. It registers a signal, but Konqueror (KDE browser) won't recognize it....I might go into KFM and try to mount it there.

Anyone have any experience with this?

By the way, I still like Puppy but I think it's a little limited by its size. I'd recommend it to anyone with an ancient computer, however. Also, it doesn't require a HD to run, and that definitely can come in handy if you wanted to have a dedicated online box or a basic terminal.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Jan 17 2006, 10:50 AM

I just remember talking to you a while back and you SWORE by the mac hardware and performance figures...

again... from a workstation perspective. i've never been a huge advocate of OS X server. the admin tools are an interesting start, but they screw up more then they help and still along way from even webmin.

freebsd is a nice server os, but i still prefer the support you get with red hat linux.

Originally posted by sarcasm@Jan 19 2006, 05:56 AM

so right now i'm running os x tiger on my powerbook, and i plan on making my laptop to dual book linux and os x. i've heard this and that about it, and if i can actually get it done, it would make my life just great.

i'm new to this whole linux shinnanigans, so it might take me a bit. i'm currently running suse on virtual pc on my apple, but that shit lags too much for me, and so does windows xp on vpc.

so if anybody can help, please do. if not, then i'll post back in this thread when(if) i get dual booting to work.

there's little point running linux on mac hardware. the freebsd core is close enough to tinker and learn on. the hardware/os integration is far too elegent to waste putting linux on it. plus why waste expensive hardware on an os that has little support for commercial apps, which is usually what people buy macs for in teh first place?

Originally posted by b0b@Jan 19 2006, 07:50 AM

Also I got an oldish laptop (500mhz P1/16 mb RAM) I want to Linux up: anyone suggest a distro/kernel/desktop manager combo for me? Seen people suggesting Debian with fluxbox.

debian is among the hardest distro's to configure. i'd start with a distro with a less steep learning curve. try fedora...

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by Misteraven+Feb 7 2006, 02:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Misteraven - Feb 7 2006, 02:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-b0b@Jan 19 2006, 07:50 AM

Also I got an oldish laptop (500mhz P1/16 mb RAM)  I want to Linux up: anyone suggest a distro/kernel/desktop manager combo for me?  Seen people suggesting Debian with fluxbox.

debian is among the hardest distro's to configure. i'd start with a distro with a less steep learning curve. try fedora...

[/b]

SLAX is good, too. Go with the 5.0.6 Kill Bill package- it has WINE, so you can run some Windows apps on Linux. And, SLAX is based on Slackware, which is one of the oldest Linux distros around....SLAX is a cut-down version designed to run off of a CD and can be installed to the HD without too much effort.

Debian is a nightmare if you are starting out. Trust me.

I agree with Raven- RH is good, too. But, as far as simplicity goes, SLAX is where it's at. Just put the live CD in and it will get you rolling right away.

Guest Sparoism

I just noticed you may not have enough RAM for a lot of modern distros...go to distrowatch.org and see if you can find a version that runs off of small amounts of RAM. Just a thought.

450px-Backtrack-screenshot.PNG

I tried BackTrack for the first time yesterday.. it's very slick, and Kismet "just works" with the ipw2100 in my thinkpad. The first time I used a slax-based system.. I like it. Performance was pretty good too.

Originally posted by Misteraven+Feb 7 2006, 03:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Misteraven - Feb 7 2006, 03:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sarcasm@Jan 19 2006, 05:56 AM

there's little point running linux on mac hardware. the freebsd core is close enough to tinker and learn on. the hardware/os integration is far too elegent to waste putting linux on it. plus why waste expensive hardware on an os that has little support for commercial apps, which is usually what people buy macs for in teh first place?

[/b]

my first reason to try to put linux on my mac was so i could run a program called Xilinx. it's a verilog program, which is for designing electrical circuits (electrical engeering). it is only windows and linux compatible, hence the desire to install iinux.... it's not a comerical program where like many others, i can find a relative repalcement easily. bleh, but i just use the lab computers for that shit now...

i hate school