Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beast

Freight Train Graffiit

i heard about this book a while ago when he was doing it. from what i was told by one of dudes friends, he was being really really picky and choosy about who to put in and who not too. which i guess happens all the time, but i dont know, it just turned me off. i'd still like to see it, but i think any book like this just isnt going to help frieghts at all. i think the book is just one more straw on the camels back.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

...worrying about this book making freight painting 'mainstream' is kinda obsurd, considering that as we speak target is sponsoring a contest to promote the marc ecko video game...that's mainstream. I gurantee you this book is going to make little difference to anyone outside of the already small segment of society that thinks graffiti is cool...tons of toys already paint freights everyday...maybe this book will inspire a few more, but no more than a popular graffiti forum did and still does...

...i can't comment about the legitamacy of coverage in the book, i do have some hang ups about free agents, but i haven't seen it so i don't know...we'll have to wait and see...

no matter who did the book, who was in the book, etc etc. you are going to have a HUGE portion of people pissed off. granted there are obviously going to be biases considering graffiti writers have crews, other friends, and are naturally opinionated. these are the perks of having friends in these positions. you can complain all you want but principal crabtree's son is an honor roll student.

i am big on documentation. especially if the documentation is accurate.and accuracy is subjectable. the book was put together by graffiti writers, who were from the east coast. if you were to ask an american vet about pearl harbor you will get a different story than a japanese vet. this isnt saying one side is wrong and the other is right.

its the same old song and dance. you hear dudes saying "fuck graff mags" until they are in one. "alright! this mag is tight!"...haha

to a point i agree this may bring unwanted attention to the freight scene but it isnt taking a genius who sees one decent line of boxcars roll by an intersection to realize graffiti is a problem.

prolly be like every other graffiti mag/book/video...

biased

yea, probably...and i would hope so. there is a lot of shitty graffiti out there done by shitheads.

hthey tracked down people who haven't ever talked - guys like sento and charlie. they found guys doing freights in the 1980s in forgotten towns like lowell ma. they dug up a freight flick by tracy 168 done in 1974. that's research.........

now that i have a copy i can give an informed opinion, and remember ladies - this is only an opinion.

aside from the fact that there were a handful of fools that should have been included (i.e. Sahl COI, Ren from Toronto Meta4 from WI) the book is off the charts. The research is pretty thorough. the represenatation of influential writers was on point. for the first book on freights (i can only hope there will be more) i think they did a pretty primo job.

now that i have a copy i can give an informed opinion, and remember ladies - this is only an opinion.

aside from the fact that there were a handful of fools that should have been included (i.e. Sahl COI, Ren from Toronto Meta4 from WI) the book is off the charts. The research is pretty thorough. the represenatation of influential writers was on point. for the first book on freights (i can only hope there will be more) i think they did a pretty primo job.

well, i think that's all the justification i need to go out and scoop this bad boy up!

i've been browsing this book since i bought it this afternoon. so far i think its a good book, great even. they did a superb job covering many of the pioneers. a few regions were definately left out, and i'm not saying this because nobody i know got their's. i saw a few people in there that i've barely even heard of, who got little blurbs, whereas some folks i've been catching for a number of years didn't even get a mention. all around its good, either way, you can't please everyone.

Meta4 from WI...what you know about this kid????

probrably nothing son..

The Deranged freight Artist were catching mad wreck back in the day!!

a whole handful of artist from Wisconsin put in a lot of work...

is this out already?

did your parents have any kids that lived? read the posts sped boy!

Meta4 from WI...what you know about this kid????

probrably nothing son..

The Deranged freight Artist were catching mad wreck back in the day!!

a whole handful of artist from Wisconsin put in a lot of work...

i know Meta4 and his cohotrs were doing whole cars pretty early - they were not first, but they rocked them long before the first real wave of whole car writers. also worthy of mention would have been NBK from texas, and from the midwest crews like CTW, DLB, NOW. thats not to say the book is not fresh or undermine in any way, just (as is always the case) think there are a couple of crews/heads that should have got some shine, especially from a historical perspective. but i was very impressed with the Spray and Mast section. definetly the first writers to do real volume bombing.

A note about a handful of people that appear to have been left out:

The European edition has these cool foldout flaps on the inside covers, which are full color and full of pieces. The American edition does not have these flaps, so there are a handful of people who actually come off real well in the European edition (Kem5 for instance) but don't appear in the American one. This was a kind of a publishing bummer, not something that Roger and co. wanted. Sometimes this stuff happens.

I realy like The Free Agents book . But Roger the doger's head has gotten to big. I just finished all three hundred an fifty pages. I like'd the lay out and type face coping subway art ,but here's the deal I started hitting freights in 1993. mostly due to the issue of can control with the old cans on the cover. Freights have been an important staple in the southern scene for many years. I don't know what beef Gastman has with the Miami Clear.He didn't have to leave out A bunch of heavy hitters. Worm and Sigh are not the only writers in the South,and All they got was A flick. A lot of Southern freight kids are pissed. I think in the long run it will be best for all the real painters down here. Just more fuel for the fire. On another note how did erupto only get one pick?

I realy like The Free Agents book . But Roger the doger's head has gotten to big. I just finished all three hundred an fifty pages. I like'd the lay out and type face coping subway art ' date='but here's the deal I started hitting freights in 1993. mostly due to the issue of can control with the old cans on the cover. Freights have been an important staple in the southern scene for many years. I don't know what beef Gastman has with the Miami Clear.He didn't have to leave out A bunch of heavy hitters. Worm and Sigh are not the only writers in the South,and All they got was A flick. A lot of Southern freight kids are pissed. I think in the long run it will be best for all the real painters down here. Just more fuel for the fire. On another note how did erupto only get one pick?[/quote']

I agree 100%.