Freight Train Graffiit

Beast

Just found this for pre order ....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081099249...=books&v=glance

Book Description

Like Graffiti World, Freight Train Graffiti is the definitive history of a vibrant art form. Until now there was almost no written insight into this vast subculture, which inspires fascination across America and around the world. As dazzling as the art it celebrates, the book is packed with 1,000 full-color illustrations and features in-depth interviews with more than 125 train artists and "writers." Hundreds of never-before-seen photographs span the style's evolution, while the authoritative text from an all-star team of authors provides unprecedented perspective, including the first-ever written history of "monikers," the precursors of graffiti, developed by hobos and rail workers to communicate en route. Bound to surprise graffiti artists, graphic designers, and urban culture buffs alike, this book will inspire anyone who has ever been interested in graffiti.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It looks good to me. There's always going to be some grousing about who else should have been in instead of so-and-so, but an honest effort was made to include every important player, and I think they succeeded in particular with the early generations of aerosol, including some obscure folks who deserved it.

Some omissions were also at the request (or disdain) of potential includees, despite being invited.

Roger's rep on the $$ tip will no doubt prejudice some folks against this right away. But from what I've seen this is a serious effort to be comprehensive, not some fast-buck bullshit.

just so ya know

for me it's not about his making money off of it.

i know people who were involved in putting it together

and some decisions i would regard as 'poor' were made.

i'm not going to rant about the thing.

i'm sure it has some great parts

and like the old addage goes you can't please everyone

(especially not when your working on some elitist shit)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

every graffiti book, magazine, movie is without questioned bias, but nothing will change that, I think he did a pretty good job with his book about DC but I don't really want people uncovering/exposing freight graffiti, I'm saying the historical aspect is good, people should know about history but if you want to learn about freights go sit by the tracks and bench, study the shit like everyone else, pay your dues, I know i'm still paying mine.

what do yall think about a freight book and its potential to comprimise the culture. little known to most is david gunn was elected ta pres only 1 year after subway art came out. legend has it that the city was so embarrased that subway graffiti had reached this proportion they made a special point to eradicate it. and you know what they say...those that dont learn from history...etc. etc. im not against this book in any way, id rather roger do it than someone who has no experience as a writer. im just interested in hearing opinions.

the whole culture has bubbled to the surface

i hate it when any attention gets brought to it that could potentially alert the mainstream.

what is going to happen when people find out that we can paint these things all the time? and that since some cars carry toxic substances that shit is very dangerous to the general public in a post-9/11 world?

i wish people found another way to make their money, because this is not elevating the scene by bringing it legitimacy, it's just shining a spotlight on illegal activity that has a strong constituency against it

I mentioned how inevitable this was years ago in the "critical mass" thread.

I feel all the heads who don't want attention focused on the scene because of the heat it will bring.

But I'm on the existentialist tip: you can't fight the tide. This shit is going to happen sooner or later, the scene will morph, change happens. Shit blows up. Once a scene is old enough, and dope enough, it needs proper documentation. (I don't fully know how proper the book is, I didn't get that long a look.) Real heads will adjust to whatever changes come.

Originally posted by thecarwreck+Feb 20 2006, 01:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecarwreck - Feb 20 2006, 01:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Beast@Dec 31 2005, 02:55 PM

...including the first-ever written history of "monikers," the precursors of graffiti, developed by hobos and rail workers to communicate en route.

son of a bitch. stole my dissertation topic.

and it's not the "first-ever"

[/b]

:huh2:

i heard about this book a while ago when he was doing it. from what i was told by one of dudes friends, he was being really really picky and choosy about who to put in and who not too. which i guess happens all the time, but i dont know, it just turned me off. i'd still like to see it, but i think any book like this just isnt going to help frieghts at all. i think the book is just one more straw on the camels back.

...worrying about this book making freight painting 'mainstream' is kinda obsurd, considering that as we speak target is sponsoring a contest to promote the marc ecko video game...that's mainstream. I gurantee you this book is going to make little difference to anyone outside of the already small segment of society that thinks graffiti is cool...tons of toys already paint freights everyday...maybe this book will inspire a few more, but no more than a popular graffiti forum did and still does...

...i can't comment about the legitamacy of coverage in the book, i do have some hang ups about free agents, but i haven't seen it so i don't know...we'll have to wait and see...