MESTHREE

A Peoples History of the United States

good book, read that last year and i put more faith in that then any "textbook"

catcher in the rye

i suggest that everyone reads the fightclub book too

biography of nietchze

some book on sartre

nsk-vc

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

...if anyone here really likes kerouac...dont read desolate angels....ive lost my faith in kerouac...hes a greek tragedy....dying drunk on his mothers couch....everytime i think of it i cringe and it makes me feel hopeless....im sorry i have a huge history with that guy....a bodhi that didnt know how to make it...(deep sigh)....as a writer he cant be touched, but as a an individual its a sad ending...and with his style and subject matter, i can not seperate the two...my soul gasped for air and my vision became slightly more grey when i finished that novel....i dont wanna dash anyones images of jack onto the same rocks that my image now lies, but the fact remains as far as life goes, hes one of the ones that didnt get it at the end...it killed him...so i turned to the ones who did weather the storm: ferlinghetti, ginsberg, snyder, and corso....sorry to be late on this one....maybe itll jump start again....maybe ill just repost this under kerouac...

as far as good books

breakfast of champions

power of myth

coney island of the mind

cannery row

rOe...heroes falling by the wayside

Bibliomania

Originally posted by intercity

just read Clockwork Orange... again. better every time.

by Anthony Burgess

I've read that book three times! Awesome read. The book has a lot of stuff the movie doesn't (as the movie has a lot that the book doesn't) - and the book has a different ending... the 21st chapter! Edited out of the original American edition and the left out of the movie. Alex grows up.

Some non-fiction stuff that changed my life was Culture Jam by Kale Lasn - this book encourages vandalism as a way to shock people from their television and advertising induced consumer coma! Also Fast Food Nation (forget authors name). This book got me, along witrh everyone who has read it, to stop eating fast food, especially Mickey D's.

Other swell things to read include:

40 ouncer by Ken Zapata

Princess Bride by William Goldman

Post Office by Burroughs

uh - I don't know. Catch 22 by Heller (I think) is awesome but a tough read. That should keep you busy.

Yeah Kerouac did die a drunk..in Florida of all places

But is there anyother way he could have died?

I don't know..it just makes a little sort of sad cosmic sense to me

Sure its sad, but his tradgedy makes his triumph

wow im not making anysense to anyone.

I think desolation angels is worth reading- its real its the beautiful REAL sadness

I just don't think Kerouac could have died a happy Zen lunatic wanderer frolicking about in the high mountain paradiso

or

cruising along the highway to a brothel in mexico

His death -to me- is pure Jack. Thats him.

Guest i create destruction

i didn't read the other posts so these may have been mentioned already.

the media monopoly by ben bagdikian

deterring democracy by noam chomsky

breakfast of champions by kurt vonnegut

all things censored by mumia abu-jamal

dark alliance by gary webb

Originally posted by THE LAW

lizard music by daniel pinkwater

hell, anything by daniel pinkwater...in the children's section.

THE LAST GURU

SLAVES OF SPIEGEL

SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE AVACADO OF DEATH

SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE BACONBURG HORROR

ALAN MENDELSOHN THE BOY FROM MARS

WORMS OF KUKUMLIMA

haha, I got a big book with most of those stories in it. They're pretty crazy.

otherwise....

FAST FOOD NATION- Eric Schlosser If you eat at mcdonalds, you probably won't eat there again after reading this.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME - Stephen Hawking

FOUNDATION

FOUNDATION AND EMPIRE

SECOND FOUNDATION - a trilogy by Isaac Asimov Best Science Fiction Series. Ever.

DUNE - Frank Herbert

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - Arthur C. Clarke A must read indeed.

INTO THE WILD - Jon Krakauer The true story of Chris McCandless. Fascinating.

I could go on and on.......but I won't.

just finished dharma bums which i thought was great and on the road of course. im about to read naked lunch. I feel you mr. invalid. anyone listens to alot of jazz knows youll get your heart broken eventually (see mr. charlie parker). as for me im the lone observer so i can really relate to his writing and i probably will die drunk alone on a couch, but that is really inevitable i guess.

Archived