The Mars Volta

Dr. Dazzle

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I love ATDI.

I hate TMV.

Sparta is kinda alright.

Before "Deloused..." came out I got a few of the songs off Kazaa or whatever shit I was using at the time and it wasnt too bad, but it wasnt nearly what I'd hoped for....

Before "Wiretap Scars" I also got some of the demo songs for Sparta and they were really good. All the tracks made it to the final release, but they were all edited and more "poppy" sounding.

ATDI stomps the shit out of TMV and Sparta with little/no effort.

The new Sparta shit... "Porcelin", does indeed suck ass.

The thing about the Mars Volta is that they are not the kind of band where you can listen to one song and make a decision on them. They aren't an "emo" band, they are an art-fag band, and a lot of people don't get it, and thus don't like them. To really appreciate them, you have to listen to their whole albums from start to finish, which means you need like a whole hour to just chill out and focus on the music. Their albums are stories. They aren't "singles" albums, and they aren't full of songs about random subjects. For example, the first album is about a man called Cerpin Taxt who overdoses on drugs and is in a coma, goes through a whole coma-odyssey-type-deal, and then at the end has to make the decision whether to die or stay alive. So you can't just base your opinion of them because they don't play straightforward music, or conversely, because every other hipster doofus likes them and you want to be cool.

It's like Pink Floyd's The Wall. You can't listen to one song on that, and you can't listen to the whole album without seeing the movie....

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle@Dec 29 2005, 02:38 AM

The thing about the Mars Volta is that they are not the kind of band where you can listen to one song and make a decision on them. They aren't an "emo" band, they are an art-fag band, and a lot of people don't get it, and thus don't like them. To really appreciate them, you have to listen to their whole albums from start to finish, which means you need like a whole hour to just chill out and focus on the music. Their albums are stories. They aren't "singles" albums, and they aren't full of songs about random subjects. For example, the first album is about a man called Cerpin Taxt who overdoses on drugs and is in a coma, goes through a whole coma-odyssey-type-deal, and then at the end has to make the decision whether to die or stay alive. So you can't just base your opinion of them because they don't play straightforward music, or conversely, because every other hipster doofus likes them and you want to be cool.

It's like Pink Floyd's The Wall. You can't listen to one song on that, and you can't listen to the whole album without seeing the movie....

I was aware of the "background story" behind the first album, and did listen to it as a whole once it came out, but I still just feel like theyre only half as good as ATDI at their absolute BEST. Same goes for Sparta.

Seriously, At The Drive-In is so fucking awesome. Neither one of these offshoot bands can really hold a candle to ATDI at their best.