Why does train painting not flourish In the U.S

Steady Shine

Originally posted by you enjoy myself+Dec 21 2005, 10:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (you enjoy myself - Dec 21 2005, 10:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Steady Shine@Dec 21 2005, 05:06 AM

How much steel actually does get painted?

OR

Why steel dosnt get painted?

OR

Again, what other cities have transit systems?

OR

any other similar shit you think I might want to know

Peace in advance to the cats that might drop some knowledge and eat a dick to the generic 12oz toys that will come in to throw some hate in any and every thread they find

oh man, nice questions.

go fuck yerself.

[/b]

you cock.

great thread. great point.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello1 is a complete idiot with no real knowledge of subway buff...or maybe he just needs sleep.

of all the clean trains i've done in the u.s. (double digits).. i've only seen one running, and that was on it's way to the buff.

they do not allow subway trains or light rail cars to run with graf on them.

even tracksides get buffed (clearly, unlike paris)

i know, it is very difficult to get your tiny little mind wrapped around the concept that things are different in the united states.

maybe in other countries, graffiti writers have severe brain damage because their paint isn't subjected to as many environmental regulations or something.

we created modern graffiti here anyway. y'all are just catching up. don't be jealous. haha

whatever take your graffiti you can have it wack ass europe styles are just bitten forms of 70's new york graff that had about 30 years to marinate in to some cheezy european style im just glad that it evolved her in the u s of a...

if you call being buddy buddy with every single writer like in europe then you can have your graffitti i like mine raw nitty gritty i love a little beef here and there so fuck all you euro's bunch of twats.....hahaha :headache: :headache:

Originally posted by fearthesear@Dec 28 2005, 12:06 AM

OH YEAH ONE MORE THING:

know your history asshole graffiti was invented in the us so fuck you!

but where were trains and subways invented?

Yes, Europe.

And by god, i swear yanks get stupider everyday. please stop referring to Europe as one country. It is a CONTINENT WITH MANY DIFFERENT COUNTRIES.

And guess what! Yes, each country is different and has its own styles. Lots of different ones at that. Calling a style euro is about as clever as your president.

Do you idiotic yanks think that not a single country in Europe knows how to use straight letters?

and another thing, the way you lot talk every single commuter or subway which gets done gets photoed and put on the net. haha, bollocks again. there is the same issues with people giving out photos that there is in america.

simple fact is, yanks please, PLEASE sort it out.

yes but again do your history

we stole the plans for the locomotive during the industrial revolution way back when but urbanized graffiti was inventd in the us so fuck you....but you gotta admit that a train that gets buffed doesnt get seen so therefore transit in the us gets buffed therefore noone sees it and you fags have nore chances of seeing it or fliking it

another thing bush won the electoral vote and all politics are corrupt but we are in and will always be in the best country in the world!!!!

so fuck you and have a nice day!

lots of stuff gets done in north america. however, from what ive found its way harder than europe. i havent been to the east coast, where there are far more systems and trains than the west. so i cant comment on that. however, smaller systems are most often way harder than large ones where there are more options for painting. its hard to do layups where there arent any.

painting subways/commuters in europe ive had some very fucked up and diffucult times painting (with locals and without), and also some of the easiest times painting as well. been arrested and chased multiple times, and painting dayside as well. but overall ive found it easier over there. more trains seems to me to allow for more chances and spots to paint.

trains play a bigger part in european culture where here it does not. maybe thats the difference.

what about australia? any aussies have input on the train scene there? why its so popular, its not european or north american but the trains seem to get belted on the reg...

Originally posted by MrJackDaniels+Dec 28 2005, 01:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrJackDaniels - Dec 28 2005, 01:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fearthesear@Dec 28 2005, 12:06 AM

OH YEAH ONE MORE THING:

Yes, Europe.

And by god, i swear yanks get stupider everyday. please stop referring to Europe as one country. It is a CONTINENT WITH MANY DIFFERENT COUNTRIES.

And guess what! Yes, each country is different and has its own styles. Lots of different ones at that. Calling a style euro is about as clever as your president.

Do you idiotic yanks think that not a single country in Europe knows how to use straight letters?

and another thing, the way you lot talk every single commuter or subway which gets done gets photoed and put on the net. haha, bollocks again. there is the same issues with people giving out photos that there is in america.

[/b]

if that aint the mexican calling the cuban a spic:

the precursor to trains - which were crude coal mining cars on wooden tracks was invented in europe, but the steam engine, the passenger train and what we know today as a railroad system was invented in the usa. so you can say we perfected it.

europe is a country. thanks for sharing that pearl of wisdom.

even though europe is made up of several countries and is a continent (as you so dutifully pointed out) to americans, or most americans (like me) who only know of europe graffiti from what we see on the internet, it all looks the same. im not saying it all is the same. i can usually look at any graffiti and tell if its american or foreign (europe, australia, asia etc.). and im sure most foreign writers can say the same about american graffiti. so calling it euro graffiti is just a way to distinguish between that wack euro shit and pure american graffiti - just kidding, but seriously - its not a dis to say euro styles, in a way its a compliment. can you dig it?

Fair enough remark most of it, but the first steam engine was created and tested in the United Kingdom. Dunno about the first passenger cars,although it has nothing to do with why trains get slapped here.

NYC was piss easy and now it's relatively hard. Everything used to run, now nothing does.

In London it was never that easy and things have always been buffed. So the change has been smaller and so has put less people off.

And having done NYC subway and London in the past 5 years. I know you can't compare systems but they are both relatively similar in size.The difference is HUGE though. The biggest problem in NYC was the workers roaming around as it runs 24 hours, fuck all security, cameras etc. The fences are shit, but the barbed wire is a cunt though, cuts you up proper. While in London you have so much more security, designed more to keep terrorists out than writers due to the IRA etc planting bombs in depots in the 80's. The security included guards on 24 hour rounds, infra red cameras, motion sensors, tremor sensors and pressure pads, as well as that the graff squad have a designated helicopter and dog unit just for the subway.But then 10 mins from the yard theres a piss easy 5 minute backjump, so is doable, like any other system.

Anyway this is all bollox, cant be fucked, and when it comes to style though, each to their own, cant dismiss whole continents..

In australia it depends what state you are in.

Take melbourne for instance. It's been clamped down on a bit making trains slightly harder to paint but they are still VERY easy compared to what people from other states have to put up with. The downside in melbourne is that nothing runs anymore. Other states still run vandalised trains.

ehh that kinda sums it up. Sort of? :chicken:

Originally posted by Edika@Dec 24 2005, 07:09 PM

trains and subways in general are way more developed in Europe than in the US.

For the majority of europeans, the train system is something they use on a daily basis, trains are everywhere , compared to the us where the car is dominating.

So the trains are more important for the euro population in general, and it is for the same for the writers.

not to mention a lot of cities here dont even have transit trains to paint on...

go figure.

story by the american jeloe about a european subway mission:

(nicked from somewhere)

jeloe: There are so many crazy experiences and close and not so close calls I have had over the years. There is one that happened recently that I still think was the most crazy thus far. The stakes were very high in this mission and if we got caught we were fucked. Like, really fucked. It was on a mission to do a subway. I was with a few kids who really knew the transit system inside and out. One of the kids was really schooled on the tunnels there and spent a lot of his free time just wandering through them looking for shit to get into. He had every key to every door and knew the deal inside and out. It was dumping snow outside and he told me and 2 other kids to wait on the street for him out in front of a business. Next to this business was a door facing the street disguised to blend into the landscape with no signs or anything else to indicate what was behind it. Anyway he told us to stand there for 20 minutes and he would be back. We waited the 20 minutes and there was no sign of him. We decided to wait another 10 minutes. Sure enough about 5 minutes later we heard a knock on the other side of the door to which we knocked back. The door opened and it was this kid covered in tunnel grime. He hurried us inside and slammed the door. It was fuckin crazy inside there. We had walked into a gigantic warehouse used to hold some of the massive power generators used to power the whole system. It was totally lit up and had cameras watching every inch of the place. We put on ski masks and started to walk towards a dark hallway. On the way there was a security door left open by the last guard on duty. The kids I was with went inside and started raiding the file cabinets getting maps to the tunnels and layups along with schematics to all the trains in use. I was shitting my pants cause this shit was straight up criminal. I could see myself on the security monitor wearing a ski mask. I thought to myself "when the fuck did graff get so serious?" Either way it was dope and I was down to finish what we came to do. They all loaded their finds up into their bags and we bounced back towards the hallway. As we got further down the walls became cave-like and much smaller to the point where we had to hunch down as the lights got dimmer and dimmer. After walking for about 5 minutes we came to a large metal staircase that was behind a metal gate that looked like traditional jail cell doors. I was wondering how we were going to get to it when the one kid pulled out a key ring he jacked from a driver one day as the driver came out of an office in a station. I thought that was so fresh. So we start down the staircase and after about 10 steps we heard a door slam shut and footsteps start. We hauled ass back up the steps trying to be quiet as every noise echoed and we didn’t want whoever it was to know we were there. Soon the footsteps below turned into a whole group of people with flashlights and they were speaking loudly in a language I didn't understand. I thought for sure we were fucked. The guys I was with motioned for me to come into a dark room we came across earlier. We all hid our bags full of paint inside of an old storage locker that was in the room and then hid ourselves in the dark of the room. The guys coming were workers who were working in some part of the tunnel. I figured out that there were tunnels behind the tunnels for people to walk along while doing maintenance on the system. Luckily they walked past us and just kept going. They were only like 15 feet away from us as they passed and I was shitting bricks. After they passed I was ready to break the fuck out but the guys I had come with said we were still going to do it. Honestly I wanted to go but I just shut up and followed them. We got up, got our bags and went back down the stairs. Once down like 5 flights we got to another crazy room that was filled with wires all over the walls with power grids and control panels complete with emergency stop switches and alarms with lights everywhere. We could hear voices down the hall and decided to push forward anyway just trying to be as quiet as possible. We came up on a door that was cracked about half an inch and when we peeked into it the train tunnels were on the other side. The voices we heard were the transit guards complete with guns, batons and attack-trained German Shepherds. We very quietly made our way past the door and down about another 50 feet. At this point there was a dead end in our tunnel with another door to the left. The door had it’s handle broken out. I was told that the handle was the reason we had to wait on the street for a half an hour earlier. The kid who left us earlier went into the tunnels from the station with a set of tools and broke the handle off of the door before the security shift started so we could come out into the tunnel later undetected. These dudes had their shit down. On the other side of the door there was about 5 strings of trains sitting in the tunnel in an underground lay-up. We sat there in dead silence for over an hour just watching the guards 50-60 feet away on the platform. They sat there on their cell phones blabbing away to whoever was on the other end in a language I didn't understand. The guard on our side began to pace with his mini automatic gun slung over his shoulder with its strap and his attack dog that was on a leash. As he turned his back the kid who broke the door opened it slightly and motioned for us all to quickly and quietly exit into the tunnel and hide in-between the strings of trains. We all did with me going last as reluctant as could be. The guard walked the length of the platform and posted on the far side of it from where we were. We quietly picked a panel each and I was told to paint my piece in no more than 10 minutes. I was done in about 7 and then sat waiting while they finished. I was hoping the guard or his dog wouldn't see us. The dog was trained not to jump on the tracks because of the 3rd rail so I thought at least we had that working for us. We all finished and bounced out undetected. We made our way out of the tunnel and back into the maze of tunnels that led to the door on the sidewalk. We booked through there and made our way out back to the street. We then had about 2 hours before the trains started back up again so we could get flicks of it running in the station. I went straight for the nearest liquor store and got some brand of whiskey I had never heard of and chugged the whole half pint in two big gulps. I was so on edge. I needed it. Then we walked about 2 miles to kill time and to get as far away as possible. We came to another station on the same line and decided to go into this one to get pics. The one kid used his keys to get into the station as it was still opening up for the first run. Once we were in the station we just laid on the benches and tried to blend into the bums who spent the night there away from the cold. After about 30 minutes we heard the first train coming, which was ours. We got our cameras ready and when it pulled into the station we flicked it as many times as possible before the driver shut the doors and pulled it out of the station. I remember her glaring at me as if to say "fuck you, you fuckin punks. I KNOW it was you guys!" As soon as the next train came we got onto it and rode it into the next station where there were several special police there with machine guns wearing fatigues looking dead fuckin serious. I was told by the guys I was with they were there to investigate the graff to figure out how it was done. I think they were more interested to figure out how we got in so they could seal it off for terrorist reasons. I was freaking the fuck out. Anyway, to finally end this story we got our pics and nothing happened to us. Even though we got away with it, it was still the craziest graff related experience I have ever been a part of.

Originally posted by T.T Boy@Dec 28 2005, 08:40 PM

what about australia? any aussies have input on the train scene there? why its so popular, its not european or north american but the trains seem to get belted on the reg...

well i only know how it is in sydney - haven't done panels in any other place in aus.

In Sydney shit does get done a fucking lot, multiple panels, e2e's running each day without a doubt, it's dope.

A fair few panels that get done in yards do run, might be for only a few hours or maybe a day or 2, shit even stuff in late 05 has ran for almost a week which is very unusual, but also late 05 I know of someone who did 17 panels in a few days and only 3 ran... luck of the draw sometimes.

The bad thing about sydney, is having the backjumps which aren't too difficult which makes the toys want to have a go which equals to them smashing the spot... theres a spot wrecked and most likely a bashing for them, but hey those type of people don't last long in the sydney scene.

And i'm not exactly sure why it's so popular here, just because it's there you may aswell paint it i guess, same with tracksides, insides etc. i'd say the sydney scene is built around the train scene, but of course there is people out there street bombing/pieces or whatever... but yeah the people that do fresh panels weekly get respect.

Guest Abc Eater

Wow thats a badass interview james bond style shit. Thats strictly for the hardcore writers what a great thread, anyone else got some crazy transit stories? Dirty hands2 was interesting when they were entering the underground yards.

I'm not gonna make much of a comment cos I dont care either way.....But I just thought i'd say that one of my crew mates went over to the states last christmas time.......Stayed in chicago for about a week and flicked 4 or 5 different trains with pieces on them (some might have been running, some might have been stabled)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by MrJackDaniels+Dec 27 2005, 08:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrJackDaniels - Dec 27 2005, 08:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fearthesear@Dec 28 2005, 12:06 AM

OH YEAH ONE MORE THING:

Yes, Europe.

[/b]

AND CALLING AMERICANS "YANKS" IS ANY LESS IDIOTIC? THE COUNTRY IS ABOUT 50 TIMES NEW YORK CITY, SORRY "MATE".

Heres what I think (and its funny I would come across this thread right after hitting the Canadian cleans thread). First off, it’s fucking stupid that it always comes down to cats dissing other continents. Heres the raw deal. Europe has a history of culture embedded in art. America has history money embedded in art. We all know how money is #1 in America, not because Americans have less soul than Europeans, but because Europeans standards of wealth venture beyond looks and wallets. Europeans can dedicate their life to art or family... whatever, and that’s accepted by the culture. In America, money is king. Period. If your family is poor, you have nothing, because nobody respects the poor in America, regardless of talent, love, and family. The media has worked its way into American culture in such a way that looks, money, and sex dictate your personal worth whether you like it or not.

Anyways... the point is, in Europe, and almost anywhere else in the world, family and culture comes before money. In North America... your life is a resource to be consumed by big business.

To my parents, I am an expense, even though I have paid rent to them since the age of twelve, and moved out when I was 15. Now I have a house I own and career people envy, so I get respect. How this relates to graffiti... in every way. Especially when it comes to across the board shit. I hate the culture of North America. Everything is a commodity to be bought and sold. Friendship, family, love, etc. ...

I hated being poor, but now that I "have"; I'm no wealthier than I was when I was broke.

To be caught dissing the system in the North America, is like being caught fucking your sister. Its not just prison time, it’s your entire social image destroyed. I will always bomb, but it will always be a personal religion. An understanding of the evil of North American culture that others accept, and I reject. I n Europe, writing on the walls is just a thing... in America... it’s a sin.

Fuck this place. I will always stain shit. My life, my rules... fuck the system (as typical sounding as it sounds, it means a lot to me.)

Long winded and drunk.

I am here to destroy.