Stencils

[mania]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ..::RD::..@Jan 9 2006, 11:07 PM

yes the whole thing is five layers but to do the ripped out area with the brown shades i just covered up the gremlin after i did it's first color and then did the brown and so on. get it?

yea i get it. thats what i thought u did but i wasnt totally sure.

nice jacket. (the stencils not too bad either).

KARMA: u should try registraion marks for lining up layers, it make it a whole lot easier.

about that envelope, im kinda limited on colors. i do have 4 shades of yellow so ill try three of those with some black. what would be a good blend of colors for the background though?light blue and purple (kind limitedcx on colors like i said)? I have greyish blue. light puplish blue two different light green shades those purples you see above red and thats about it. (and tons of colorplace thats shit for trying to blent of do anything with athough they do have a decent flat black)

Originally posted by -KARMA-+Jan 11 2006, 07:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-KARMA- - Jan 11 2006, 07:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>registration marks? Can you explain please :)

[/b]

yea... i said this on like the 2nd page of this thread:

using registration marks makes lining up the layers alot faster and more precise. to do this, cut some sort of shape (such as an X) in two of the corners of each seperate layer. make them in the exact same place so that when u line up the X's the layers are lined up as well. use spray adhesiv to stick ur first layer on the surface and peal up the corners of the stencil and put masking tape under the X's. spray ur first layer (including the X's) and then take it up. u can use the X marks to line up the other layers and when ur done, just peel the tape up and u wont have the registration marks near the stencil.

<!--QuoteBegin-..::RD::..@Jan 11 2006, 07:10 PM

registration marks are for pussies.

what? u dont use them? then how the fuck do u manage to lign up a 5+ layer stencil without the spray adhesive drying and resulting in underspray?

ive only use them recently... but they really do seem to make ligning up a whole lotta layers alot easier. they're not for the streets but if u wanna get something dead on they help alot.

Originally posted by MAR+Jan 12 2006, 07:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MAR - Jan 12 2006, 07:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>niether do i. its messy (spray adhesive) and looks wierd (reg marks)

[/b]

yea but when u put the adhesive on right, there is no leftover residue and it dries after use so that the stencil doesnt stick to anything. reg. marks dont look weird if u put masking tape under them and take it off when ur done.

<!--QuoteBegin-..::RD::..@Jan 12 2006, 09:06 PM

can control, thin caps, and pennies.

haha... pennies. i never thought about using something like that.

Karma: sometimes i use other cans to weight down the edges and just put a latex glove on one of ur hands so u can hold down the stencil when ur spraying. and dont be afraid of the paint. if u take the caps off theres no way for any of the vapors inside to escape. if ur worried about it though, just get some of those things that come on the top of montana cans.

You dont need any of that stuff. All you need is some tape or a bit of pressure. For my at home work i use a stencil brush and paint. Even if i use spray paint i use my glove covered hand a paint in short bursts and use newspaper to mask areas I dont want to get paint on.

For multilayers i leave myself hints on where things go buy leaving a puzzle like edge or just study the picture and figure it out.

Anyways i really only like doing 1 layers. Its a cram as much detail into one layer as possible thing. My new work is stencils based on woodcuts at large scale.

Edit: I dont mean to say you have to do it my way. If you have a system that works do keep doing it.

when i first started i just used my finger to hold bits down but 4-5 pennies will do the trick and the stencil doesnt move around like it did when i used my fingers. i have used spray adhesive before but i prefer the penny idea. when i used adhesive it just got the undersides of my stencils all sticky and covered with hair and dirt that you have to end up taking off before you go and use it again.

as for registration marks, look at my envelope and you'll see how i do it.

btw, that envelope got lost in the mail.

has anyone here had problems while spraying on stickers? i did it a few nights ago and the paint collected in certain areas and got bubbly. then i tried it with a primed handpained layer and it just came apart with spray adhesive. Also, what kinda markers are good for stickers? Sharpies???

try posting that image again.

sounds like your using too much paint, hold it further away from the sticker. whaat kind of caps are you using and what paint? i'd recomend always using thins for any stencil you paint(except on the streets of course). any marker will work on stickers, just experiment. you gotta just gor for it because you'll never get anywhere without actually doing it yourself.

KARMA: u said u were using krylon... ive always found that krylon is much to runny to do stencils... but maybe its just me.

and i dunno about using skinny caps... ive always used fats because they are lower pressure and have a softer spray so there is less underspray.... seems like skinnys always cause more underspray cuz they spray in a more concentrated area and are higher pressure.

but they seem to work for RD... and it looks like they worked for u ...

but nice job on that stencil. uve really improved alot. good work.