Stencils

[mania]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Abc Eater

How are you guys carrying these big ass stencils and making them may I ask, Im talking banksy sized shit and UARE Ive made small stencils but never big enough ones to put up and bee seen from afar, hows your guys methods of transport and actually making such big ones?

u can make big ones so that u can fold 'em up and put them in a small bag or something else.

pizza box

portfolio tube

get a friend who has a car

roll it up and put some rubber bands around it

there are many other ways, i just cant think of them right now...

yeah, i forgot to add that you tape the drawing paper sheets together.

does anyone know how to choose colors before painting and have them come out good? i know its pretty much preference but whenever i make a stencil it takes a few sprays for me to find colors that go well. i alway choose ones that look like they go well on the caps but look like shit when sprayed. for example. i had a little two layer of a little kid. i thought a dark blue and lighter blue would go good but they didn't go at all. and when you have a detailed 4-5 layer stencil of a person and are ordering off line how do you know which colors to get (because one off color would completely mess up your piece and you probably don't want to buy lots of 5 buck cans to experiment with)?

it mostly is just experience and learning from screw ups. but the little color blocks they have @ online stores are usually pretty accurate in showing the actual color of the paint. just use what looks good. dont worry about it too much... if u do order the wrong type of paint, u can almost always find another use for that color. for detailed stencils, just go with colors that are close in hue or get a whole scale of colors if u have the $$$.

this was a quickie i did today. simple 1 layer for the raven and a background. the background is an excerpt from Egdar Allen Poe's "The Raven". 14X16 canvas. did it for a girl(friend?)... its her favorite poem

*sighs*

Excerpt:

But the raven, sitting lonely on that placid bust, spoke only

That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.

Nothing further then he uttered; not a feather then he fluttered;

Till I scarcely more than muttered, "Other friends have flown before;

On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before."

Then the bird said, "Nevermore."

sorry about the shit pics... my digi is the worst fucking camera ever.

The raven

thegoodtheravenpic4og.jpg

theraven29qw.jpg

close up

theraven66nj.jpg

i wish i coulda used that camera to take my pics...

nasty overspray. be more careful with ur spray. it looks like u should layer that, give it some more detail and add some depth to it. the middle part doesnt look right... it doesnt have any 3D/depth... know what i mean?

yeah i dont really care about the overspray, it was just a test in may garage with a shitty cap, im more careful on the streets, the middle part was what i was worried about, thats where it lacks definition, as for the layers im gonna make a simple base layer matter of fact i just printed off another copy and im cutting out some c board right now

yo can anyone help me, i got some ill stencils like a1 and larger i was wonderin if theres anyone out there with simmilar sized stencils and the question is.... how the fuck do i carry them around the streets without getting bagged? and a better question is how do i climb to rooftops and bridges and shit with the stencils any advice would be appreciated. safe

heres a bit of my stencil work anyway...

DSC02614.jpg

DSCF0931.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

DSC02510.jpg

also anyone in england in liverpool/nottingham wanna go paintin get in touch

Guest Abc Eater

I was wondering the same thing, how do you guys climb shit with a bigger stencil and keep them concealed without getting bagged, do you guys do them in parts like smaller posterboard sections of each stencil?

just roll up the stencils into the big tubes that people use for carrying portfolio shit. stick that tube into ur backpack and dont look like ur up to shit.... its not that hard.

or make the stencils so that they have taped hinges so u can fold 'emup nice and small to fit in a backpack or something else.

RD i like that bazooka tooth one turned out nice. wouldnt have even noticed the misaligned stencil if u hadnt mentioned it... nice flares... did u use an orange dot or just an ny fat? or something else?

Originally posted by ..::RD::..@Jan 1 2006, 08:26 PM

i think i just used a shitty stock cap that comes on montanas.

really? wow. i gotta ry those out. its awesome how u got a really thin line, like a point, at the bottom of most of the letters and the flared 'em out.

affigy: tapes are kinda overdone but props for getting stuff up on the streets.

Originally posted by [mania�

i think i just used a shitty stock cap that comes on montanas.

really? wow. i gotta ry those out. its awesome how u got a really thin line, like a point, at the bottom of most of the letters and the flared 'em out.

[/b]

you can make anything look cool if you have good can control, i cut the lines on the bottom of the letters to get the sharp look.

Originally posted by [mania�

,Jan 1 2006, 10:56 PM]

what do u mean by "cut"?

u used some card or something to form the shape of the point?

or did that thing where u turn the can @ an angle to get a thin line? something else?

sry about all the questions... those flaress are just awesome though.

by "cut" i mean i used the turqoise color to shave the lines into points.

its still down, but something has changed.

the box where it usually shows the most recent gallery uploads now says "forbidden, u dont have acces to..." or something like that. it used to say "cannot find server". or something of the like.

i dunno if that means anything...

has anyone emailed prism? or gotten an email from him? does anyone know Spooky or GP or one of the other mods? they might know something.

fucking SR... hope it is back soon. i have a feeling though, that the .eps exchange will be up when SR gets back online...