Stencils

[mania]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aesoprock2ir.jpg

asiangirl6bi.jpg

elephants7qi.jpg

This was done with acrylic paint because at the time i didnt have fabric paint and thats why it looks so worn.

eletriclines0jg.jpg

some detail..

elecdetail6nn.jpg

one of the hardest pieces I cut. It was for a girls shirt so I dont have any made up for myself...

thumb5ak.jpg

It was hard because I cut the large part out first but i had some crazy detail too.

thumbilinadetail4gq.jpg

havent cut a stencil in a while but there is a elk that i need to cut. It is a former woodcut so the detail will be excrutiating, just the way I like it.

this pic doesnt do it justice theres a whole lotta detail that u cant see in the pic. the paeople that are pointing towards the phon are kinda blended into the background but u cant really tell from the pic. i dont like the stencil, but i guess its cool how its hard to figure out what it is so it forces u to look @ it.

suggestions?

img11644rg.jpg

thanks karma, haha yea.... art teach says "its very found object" *in art fag voice* its kinda hard to make out the stencil cuz the pic is so shitty. but thanks.

unless that underspray is intentional, u should get some spray adhesive. not bad for a 3rd stencil though.

Originally posted by [mania�

,Dec 22 2005, 06:02 PM]

thanks karma, haha yea.... art teach says "its very found object" *in art fag voice* its kinda hard to make out the stencil cuz the pic is so shitty. but thanks.

unless that underspray is intentional, u should get some spray adhesive. not bad for a 3rd stencil though.

Mania... Im diggin that... the crowd looks ill with the texture of the surface... but who's on the phone? j/k.

Dope as always...

RD... there's nothin I can say that would do your work justice...

ya mania, i actually have some spray adhesive now i just didn't have it at the time. i just don't feel like respraying that stencil. I like this whole canvas/artsy thing you you and rd have going. im gonna have to try it. i need to think of something to do though. And mania. do you take your own photos? and for your phone people piece did you roll or spray? Last thing. Are you a member of SR?

i take my own photos for some of my stencils, use friends pics for some, and use google/corbis for some. alot of my other work is @ school and being on break, i cant really take pics and post 'em.

both the phone and the people are sprayed... its hard as fuck to try to get the layers to sitck down to the textured surface. most of the time i ended up using my hand to hold down the different parts when i was spraying it. i dont usually paint/roll stencils cuz i dont like the brush strokes, when done right, spray paint is just smooth and clean color. i only use rollers for tshirts.

but dont forve the canvi thing... try doing something different, and something that looks good to you. also... something to keep in mind: unless u have a really sick stencil and thats all u want to show in ur piece, make sure that ur piece has composition or other element to it other than just a stencil. ive been guilty of just doing a stencil that isnt really good on a canvas in the past and it just ends up being a waste of canvas. but yea... make it ur own.

yea im a member of SR, but there my name is m.r.

mania, i know what you mean by not forcing the canvas thing and adding more to that kinda stuff than just a stencil. I'm definately going to make up what i want on paper before using a canvas. But for those pieces that you do for art class or hang on the wall what kinda paint would you use. I use walmart paint and its shit and doesn't have good colors. Whats a good canvas spray paint? I know montana has great colors but is it any good for canvas work?

for canvas use montana Alien or montana hardcore.

there are tons of colors and u can usually get the whole color scale. ie: bluescale, grayscale, etc.

alien is low pressure so the spray doesnt get up under the stencil and make lots of underspray. it also dries incredibly fast and covers thickly. id suggest using a widder cap when u spray because they make a thin coating in a wide are but have very good coverage... i hope this makes sense, its kinda hard to put into words. the wide caps also dont spray as fast or as hard as thins. but u gotta be more careful about overspray with wider caps. i usually use orange dots for canvas work and pink dots for work on the streets

montana brands of paint are better because they have thick pigment that dries really fast. in most brands of paint u cant cover darker colors with lighter ones without the darker one showing through. with montana alien/jardcore, u can with no poblem. u can cover black with white and not be able to see any of the black.

walmart paint is alright for shit stuff and test sprays but not for canvas/piece work. its just shit in a can when it comes to stuff like that.

montana paints are expensive but worth every cent. and sometimes i can get the art teach to order paint for me... if ur in school this would be worth a shot. in my experience, art teachers love stencilers/graff artists... i dunno why, but they do. show ur work to ur teach (if ur in school) and get her to order some paint. its worth a try anyways.

yea my art teacher gave me and a few other kids @ my school who stencil/graff this old darkroom and we kinda turned it into a studio.... and we get free paint from her so its all good.

Originally posted by [mania?

,Dec 23 2005, 02:16 PM]

in my experience, art teachers love stencilers/graff artists... i dunno why, but they do.

lucky son of a gun, my art teacher says anything with words or letters isnt art. she also says, if its suppoed to be a word and she cant read it, its not art either.

yea... what a bitch. thats bull shit. how can throwing paint at a canvas be art, while manipulating letters to make them ur own, to give them style, to make them art, not be. graff artists put more time and effort into their art than many other artists put into theirs. spraypaint is just another medium and graffiti is another art form.

but haha... that sucks for u

Originally posted by -KARMA-@Dec 23 2005, 07:46 PM

im having trouble finding a site with a good selection of hardcore and alien. how about montana black or gold?

oh right. thats because montana makes only a certain amount of paint every year and they've already stopped for this year. production should start up again after Jan. 1st i think.

seems like these sites might still have some, i dunnao if u already checked 'em out though.

www.wildartmedia.com

www.liquidcrack.net

i usually order from artprimo but i have ordered from these places before and i think they still have some paint (artprimo is out :( )

ive never used montana black/gold, ive heard they work fine but only work well with the caps u can get from their site. (the gold, silverlevel, etc.) but i cant really help u there.

belton is alright too but ive mostly seen it used for graff, not stencils on canvas.

ive always used spanish montana because its more of a universal paint and works with many kinds of caps.... they also had the montana name first, and german montana always seems to be more expensive.