Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[mania]

Stencils

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hey guys whats crackin' Its a party in here, haha. well nice stuff. I havent stenciled in a while but maybe ill shoot some flix and post some t's.

Originally posted by -KARMA-+Dec 21 2005, 11:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-KARMA- - Dec 21 2005, 11:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-..::RD::..@Dec 20 2005, 10:01 PM

stensoul052.jpg

RD, i've been in the stencil scene for about a month now but i haven't experimented with effects yet. How do you do such clean blends/fades or whatever you call them and with the slatter thing do you use the paper method? And where do you get all those records?

[/b]

not sure what you mean by the paper method but as for how i get the fades lookin good is just thin caps and can control. i get all my records from thrift stores and friends and relatives.

this fade is much better...

100_0315.jpg

HIGHTOP: a seperate stencil for each layer is the only way that i know of. for big stuff u can usually freehand the first layer and add details by freehand because they are so big... but they have to be relatively simple... if u get what im saying...

id have to say that the frankenstein piece is probably a 5-7 layer job simply because of the number of colors... and all the islands are floated without any bridges.

for layering the best thing is to have some nice, fast drying paint that isnt runny and shit. a cap with a wide spray helps too because it gives a thinner coat of paint off. i usually us orange dot... pinks for big stuff. also, low pressure cans like montana alien dry really fast and the low pressure prevents lots of underspray. to prevent underspray, use spray adhesive.

also, using registration marks makes lining up the layers alot faster and more precise. to do this, cut some sort of shape (such as an X) in two of the corners of each seperate layer. make them in the exact same place so that when u line up the X's the layers are lined up as well. use spray adhesiv to stick ur first layer on the surface and peal up the corners of the stencil and put masking tape under the X's. spray ur first layer (including the X's) and then take it up. u can use the X marks to line up the other layers and when ur done, just peel the tape up and u wont have the registration marks near the stencil. wow... that was long.

KARMA: fuck i wish stencilrevolution was up.... theres an effects thread. by the paper method, u maen sparying paint in a folded piece of paper and flinging the paint onto the surface? maybe that helps? i know u asked RD but for fades, get some caps that have a soft spray like gold or blue dots. thins work good too though.

enough of all that...

heres a little something im working on, just finished the background and i will probably spray the stencils on it tomorrow.

its kinda sposed to be "found object" type shit... art teacher says i need to do stuff with more composition than just a stencil image. stencils are gonna ge on the bottom left and top right corners. bottom left is gonna be a 5 or six layer... i cant remember and top right is gonna be layer... i think. any suggestions/crit would be appreciated.

background:

img11581qe.jpg

their pretty good but u should have been more carful to not over shoot the stencil....cuz u can see where the paper ended and shit and on the second shirt u got paint on the sleeve to

Originally posted by ..::RD::..+Dec 21 2005, 10:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (..::RD::.. - Dec 21 2005, 10:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by -KARMA-@Dec 21 2005, 11:50 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-..::RD::..@Dec 20 2005, 10:01 PM

stensoul052.jpg

RD, i've been in the stencil scene for about a month now but i haven't experimented with effects yet. How do you do such clean blends/fades or whatever you call them and with the slatter thing do you use the paper method? And where do you get all those records?

not sure what you mean by the paper method but as for how i get the fades lookin good is just thin caps and can control. i get all my records from thrift stores and friends and relatives.

this fade is much better...

100_0315.jpg

[/b]

ok, i guess i need to get some thin caps for my fades and when i said the paper method i meant when you spray paintr on some paper then roll it up and fling it on your record/canvas/wall os it splatters. You have some good stuff. keep it up. One last thing. What brand of paint are you using and where do you get it? I get mine from walmart (krylon and walmart brand) and i can't get colors that are similar enough to keep a 4 layer stencil looking decent. I'm guessing its montana becaus ethey carry very similar colors. Just wondering though. Thanks

edit: those can you get those big usps stickers at the post office?

Originally posted by [mania�

,Dec 21 2005, 05:48 PM]

overspray :yuck: (on those t's)

so before it gets buried... does that background have enough "composition" ?

Im diggin it... it looks organic... like Fall... Im very interested to see what colors your stencils are with that background.

thanks. the stencils are gonna be grayscale cuz thats the only colors scale i have enough paint in to do a 5 layer deal. hope it turns out alright. i should have finished pics tomorrow.

Mania... here's the repaired malcom stencil per your feedback...

and a quick jimmy walker I did this morning... lemme know if someones already doing jimmy walker though... he seems like an obvious one.

dosa312: the malcom X one looks good. the only thing i would think to add would be some more detail on the left side of his face (his right)

i like the jimmy walker one... its cool how its pointing to DOSA. no one that i know of does a jimmy stencil.

aesoprock2ir.jpg

asiangirl6bi.jpg

elephants7qi.jpg

This was done with acrylic paint because at the time i didnt have fabric paint and thats why it looks so worn.

eletriclines0jg.jpg

some detail..

elecdetail6nn.jpg

one of the hardest pieces I cut. It was for a girls shirt so I dont have any made up for myself...

thumb5ak.jpg

It was hard because I cut the large part out first but i had some crazy detail too.

thumbilinadetail4gq.jpg

havent cut a stencil in a while but there is a elk that i need to cut. It is a former woodcut so the detail will be excrutiating, just the way I like it.

all i have pics of for now.

the building one was a bitch to cut and i don't really like how it came out although it looks better when i use flat white and black.

the other two i sprayed on newsprint because im planning on pasting them somewhere.

imgp04188sb.jpg

stop5gu.jpg

building0fw.jpg

this pic doesnt do it justice theres a whole lotta detail that u cant see in the pic. the paeople that are pointing towards the phon are kinda blended into the background but u cant really tell from the pic. i dont like the stencil, but i guess its cool how its hard to figure out what it is so it forces u to look @ it.

suggestions?

img11644rg.jpg