Stencils

[mania]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first attempt at making a stencil design. I followed the steps from the SR website. Just an idea and a pic I had laying around. I'll post the pic I made it off of as well as the stencil itself. Lemme know what you think and gimme some pointers as this is the first time I've ever messed with stencils.

BTW...when it's done I hope to size this one to an 8 x 11.

Thanx and peace.

Dosa.

Would some one be kind enough to help me out with layered stencils i have seen the tut on stencil revolution but it is quite complex and i have no idea.

What i am talking about is like the frankenstein one posted on this page that sort of more than one colour thing.

Thanks pm me if your willing to help via email or msn or whatever cheers.

Originally posted by [mania�

,Dec 20 2005, 05:08 PM]

dosa312: looks good but u wouldnt be able to tell that ther's a fist if the original images wasnt right next to it. thats really the only thing id change. keep on cuttin 'em out.

RD fucking killing it. amazing shit. uppin the quality of 12oz stencils.

Good lookin out... I'll see if I cant tweak it to make the fist visible... maybe make it a 3 color grey scale.

that site is still down

on the layered stuff is it best to let the base coat dry first

then apply another stencil, or use the first stencil to apply another color

then let dry and apply another stencil to add highlights n stuff.

That frankenstein is dope, looks like a 4 layer jam maybe 5.

Any tips on how to make the layering process quicker would be

appreciated. kudos on your work rd top quality/.

Originally posted by ..::RD::..@Dec 20 2005, 10:01 PM

stensoul052.jpg

RD, i've been in the stencil scene for about a month now but i haven't experimented with effects yet. How do you do such clean blends/fades or whatever you call them and with the slatter thing do you use the paper method? And where do you get all those records?

Originally posted by [mania?

,Dec 19 2005, 11:10 PM]

INSOM: that first one is awesome, handrawn isnt it?

haha RD is on 12oz too. driven here since SR has been down? nice stencil. i was wondering, do u use an exacto or one of those heat tools? i thought that u said u used some sorta heat tool for that frankenstein piece. and those stickers look similar to that. awesome work.

thanks, yea its hand drawn.

Originally posted by -KARMA-+Dec 21 2005, 11:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-KARMA- - Dec 21 2005, 11:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-..::RD::..@Dec 20 2005, 10:01 PM

stensoul052.jpg

RD, i've been in the stencil scene for about a month now but i haven't experimented with effects yet. How do you do such clean blends/fades or whatever you call them and with the slatter thing do you use the paper method? And where do you get all those records?

[/b]

not sure what you mean by the paper method but as for how i get the fades lookin good is just thin caps and can control. i get all my records from thrift stores and friends and relatives.

this fade is much better...

100_0315.jpg

HIGHTOP: a seperate stencil for each layer is the only way that i know of. for big stuff u can usually freehand the first layer and add details by freehand because they are so big... but they have to be relatively simple... if u get what im saying...

id have to say that the frankenstein piece is probably a 5-7 layer job simply because of the number of colors... and all the islands are floated without any bridges.

for layering the best thing is to have some nice, fast drying paint that isnt runny and shit. a cap with a wide spray helps too because it gives a thinner coat of paint off. i usually us orange dot... pinks for big stuff. also, low pressure cans like montana alien dry really fast and the low pressure prevents lots of underspray. to prevent underspray, use spray adhesive.

also, using registration marks makes lining up the layers alot faster and more precise. to do this, cut some sort of shape (such as an X) in two of the corners of each seperate layer. make them in the exact same place so that when u line up the X's the layers are lined up as well. use spray adhesiv to stick ur first layer on the surface and peal up the corners of the stencil and put masking tape under the X's. spray ur first layer (including the X's) and then take it up. u can use the X marks to line up the other layers and when ur done, just peel the tape up and u wont have the registration marks near the stencil. wow... that was long.

KARMA: fuck i wish stencilrevolution was up.... theres an effects thread. by the paper method, u maen sparying paint in a folded piece of paper and flinging the paint onto the surface? maybe that helps? i know u asked RD but for fades, get some caps that have a soft spray like gold or blue dots. thins work good too though.

enough of all that...

heres a little something im working on, just finished the background and i will probably spray the stencils on it tomorrow.

its kinda sposed to be "found object" type shit... art teacher says i need to do stuff with more composition than just a stencil image. stencils are gonna ge on the bottom left and top right corners. bottom left is gonna be a 5 or six layer... i cant remember and top right is gonna be layer... i think. any suggestions/crit would be appreciated.

background:

img11581qe.jpg

Originally posted by ..::RD::..+Dec 21 2005, 10:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (..::RD::.. - Dec 21 2005, 10:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by -KARMA-@Dec 21 2005, 11:50 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-..::RD::..@Dec 20 2005, 10:01 PM

stensoul052.jpg

not sure what you mean by the paper method but as for how i get the fades lookin good is just thin caps and can control. i get all my records from thrift stores and friends and relatives.

this fade is much better...

100_0315.jpg

[/b]

ok, i guess i need to get some thin caps for my fades and when i said the paper method i meant when you spray paintr on some paper then roll it up and fling it on your record/canvas/wall os it splatters. You have some good stuff. keep it up. One last thing. What brand of paint are you using and where do you get it? I get mine from walmart (krylon and walmart brand) and i can't get colors that are similar enough to keep a 4 layer stencil looking decent. I'm guessing its montana becaus ethey carry very similar colors. Just wondering though. Thanks

edit: those can you get those big usps stickers at the post office?