Sewing

mr.yuck

I have recently become tired of buying shitty made clothes and am interested in making my own "gear". I'm sure there are courses you can take somewhere to teach you how to sew garments and what not but due to my new geographical location, I do not have access to many of the worlds finer instructional offerings.

I have looked all over google and come up with a bunch of shit that is either books for sale on sewing or pages that say for beginners and then offer shitty diagrams and termonology that only a seasonded OG seamster would know.

I have been toying with the idea of just taking appart clothing that i have that fits just the way i like it and replicating the patern but this could be costly and if shit doesnt go right i have just destroyed something that i like.

If anyone can drop some better links or some science on the topic it would be greatly appreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i think its just as easy to learn sewing in an odd remote location as it is in some more metropolian place.. actually theres probably more people who actively sew in small towns then in cities..(i mean as a hobby).

now you can learn how to sew. but it doesnt mean you can make an aesthetically pleasing garment. even if you learn how to sew.. you have to also learn how to tailor, make patterns from garment rubs.. and you also need to learn how to spec people who make the nice fabrics, zippers, trim, liners and so forth.. its definitely an endeavour for the passionate.

designing your own clothes to wear is a total labor of love and not something you should do in order to save money. Learning how to make a simple garment and appreciating well made garments are two different things.. and simply..its years of experience involved..

taking appart garments.. measuring the distances between stitches, types of stitches, shapes of patterns and such is definitely a good direction to head.. a good basic sewing maching able to get through 4 plys of medium weight material is going to cost you 200-400 bucks.. for an overlocking or cutoff surger..like a juki..or brother itll cost you also between 200-800..

i mean theres a bunch of variables involved but i would suggest sticking with recognizable name brands who have places in the area who are certified to repair your machine.

If you've never sewn before, start simple. Go to a sewing store get an easy pattern and try to make it. (I'm guessing you've already got access to a machine...)

Once you are proficient at that, try getting a book or something (it'll make much more sense) or experimenting on your own.

Or you could just come out here and I'll teach you... haha

Originally posted by BoB Hope ONER@Dec 18 2005, 09:29 AM

i think its just as easy to learn sewing in an odd remote location as it is in some more metropolian place.. actually theres probably more people who actively sew in small towns then in cities..(i mean as a hobby).

now you can learn how to sew. but it doesnt mean you can make an aesthetically pleasing garment. even if you learn how to sew.. you have to also learn how to tailor, make patterns from garment rubs.. and you also need to learn how to spec people who make the nice fabrics, zippers, trim, liners and so forth.. its definitely an endeavour for the passionate.

designing your own clothes to wear is a total labor of love and not something you should do in order to save money. Learning how to make a simple garment and appreciating well made garments are two different things.. and simply..its years of experience involved..

taking appart garments.. measuring the distances between stitches, types of stitches, shapes of patterns and such is definitely a good direction to head.. a good basic sewing maching able to get through 4 plys of medium weight material is going to cost you 200-400 bucks.. for an overlocking or cutoff surger..like a juki..or brother itll cost you also between 200-800..

i mean theres a bunch of variables involved but i would suggest sticking with recognizable name brands who have places in the area who are certified to repair your machine.

No, its not really just to save money. That would be rediculous considering the amount of money that the tools cost to make this happen. It's something that i have been interested in for a while but never set out to do, for lack of knowledge on a good starting place. I have nothing but time to pour into this endevour.

Any more that you have to offer would be extremely appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

i sew patches on my jackets.....and Im thinking of a way to sew a pocket on the inside of my hoodie for 40's, tall cans, or a cd player...i hear dental floss is good for tat stuff...better then the thread I was using cause the first moshpit I went into with my newly sen Born/dead backpatch on, it was ripped off because the thread was too shitty....hahahah but yeah, i'm not sure about maing pants and stuff....

Originally posted by merk or be merked@Jan 18 2006, 03:29 AM

i sew patches on my jackets.....and Im thinking of a way to sew a pocket on the inside of my hoodie for 40's, tall cans, or a cd player...i hear dental floss is good for tat stuff...better then the thread I was using cause the first moshpit I went into with my newly sen Born/dead backpatch on, it was ripped off because the thread was too shitty....hahahah but yeah, i'm not sure about maing pants and stuff....

born/dead kicks asss.

i sew a lot of my own stuff and i agree that you should probably get patterns or something to learn all the basics before anything hard. try making small things first, then maybe work on alterations of clothes you already have before making anything big yourself.