Superman Returns

Tough Love

504008_rt.jpg

Theatrical Release Date: Jun 30, 2006 (Wide)

Cast & Crew:

Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, directed by Bryan Singer more »

Synopsis:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. more »

MPAA Rating: Not Rated

Release Company: Warner Bros.

Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama, Superheroes

trailer here

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The new batman movie was rubbish, but that isn't my point, they just find something which the mtv generation will vaguely know and then cha-ching. Spiderman, Batman, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Lassie etc etc.

Even the new films coming out of Hollywood are utter crap, last two films I saw were Crash the new one which was the worst piece of film making/ story telling I have ever seen, and Flightplan, which was a nice concept but so pathetically put together it was dire, and so fucking hammed up at the end "are we there yet mommy?" "nearly sweetheart, nearly..." FUCK YOU.

Hollywood = shit.

/rant

I'm pissed about Ghost Rider being moved from Summer 2006 to February 2007.

And this new Superman movie isn't a remake. It's another Superman movie. Is there something wrong with sequels?

And Jackson, the Batman Begins movie was awesome. You really do come off as mad cynical. I, for one, am glad that not every movie out there is a low budget art film.

• 7 months later...

Fuck this. I've said it before-

Here's the deal with this movie:

1.75 hours of taking off, flying slowly, spinning around before landing.

A half hour of 'plot' and 'character development'.

Fifteen minutes of (lackluser) action.

I was more impressed with the opening ten minutes of the first X-Men.

It could have been an hour shorter, but at the same time it couldn't have.

And how you can call the action lacklustre I have no idea. You saying that aeroplane sequence was lacklustre? That bit with the 0 gravity was pretty cool.

It was the clever little things in that movie which made it cool, example: when they try to give him an injection, and when he shoots the bullet at his eyeball. In fact that whole sequence with the minigun was fucking awesome.

However I do think that the new superman guy was a bit gay, and Bosworth was hot but an unworthy replacement for Margot Kidder, but Spacey was a good Luther.

the filipina princess here at work said it was "waaaay too sappy sweet for me, and if I'm saying that, you know it's bad"

that was pretty much all i needed to hear to know this movie sucks ass.

then i read an interview with bryan singer, and he said it was chick flick!

fuck it.

It could have been an hour shorter, but at the same time it couldn't have.

And how you can call the action lacklustre I have no idea. You saying that aeroplane sequence was lacklustre? That bit with the 0 gravity was pretty cool.

It was the clever little things in that movie which made it cool, example: when they try to give him an injection, and when he shoots the bullet at his eyeball. In fact that whole sequence with the minigun was fucking awesome.

However I do think that the new superman guy was a bit gay, and Bosworth was hot but an unworthy replacement for Margot Kidder, but Spacey was a good Luther.

Alright, alright.. the airplane part was cool. I can't even lie.

But I stand by my conviction that the rest of the movie was Z's. Dude took a bullet to the eye (which was shown in a clip/trailer before the movie was even out), picked up a big chunk of crystal, caught five people falling from buildings, stopped an out-of-control car and snagged a big-ass globe before it could smash some stuff. Shit, my favorite part was Superboy smashing dude with a piano and that doesn't really constitute an action sequence.

Seriously, when you can count the action sequences (saving Lois & fam from the boat doesn't count) on one hand in a superhero movie something is definitely wrong.

if you are complaining that the movie was lackluster then youre probably the type of person that loves the usual hollywood movie garbage with bloated budgets and over used special effects. this movie was solid... do i really need to see another comic based movie with 4873498748947 exaples of already seen fight sequences? no, not really. i think they did a great job with this film.. the story was solid acting was pretty good and everything looked great

if you are complaining that the movie was lackluster then youre probably the type of person that loves the usual hollywood movie garbage with bloated budgets and over used special effects.

Uh, yeah.. kind of.. but no.. I like good movies and CGI is (usually) wack as fuck.

Every other Superman movie had an assload of action sequences and cool ways to make use of his powers... which is what I'm paying to see when I watch a movie about a superhero. See, superheroes do things that I can't so it plays to the easily-amused dumbfuck eight year-old in me that eats the erasers off pencils when I get to see them do those things on a big screen; I'm paying $8 to see dude look through walls, shoot shit from his eyes, spin the planet off it's axis, catch the Leaning Tower of Piza and walk away unscathed after being hit by a kerosine-tanker lugging freight while standing over a volcano. I can't do these things. That is what makes them cool.

I can, however, have a hard time getting the girl of my dreams, wonder about the places that I'm from, lose a parent and struggle with my identity. These are real-world issues that I'm trying to escape when I get dumb high, sit in a big dark room and watch a grown-ass-man in blue tights fly around in a cape saving lives.

I understand making him 'human' so people can relate to the movie a little more, but not when it's 65% of the movie and not when there isn't any consistant hard-hitting moral being driven home. When I pay to see Superman I want to see Superman do some shit, not a super soap opera. If I want romance and 'serene cinematography' I'll watch Casablanca or fucking Gone with the Wind.

The only thing worse than a movie with a CGI backbone is a movie that should have a CGI backbone trying to be Apocolypse Now.