Stan Tookie Williams: founder of the crips

bike messenger

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry i guess i should have said something more along the lines of this:

To Save a Life to Save Others

Williams has been on death row at San Quentin State Prison since 1981, when he was convicted and sentenced to death by lethal injection for the slaying of store clerk Albert Owens during the robbery of a 7-Eleven store and the shooting deaths of three members of the Yang family — Yen-I Yang, Tsai-Shai Chen Yang and Yu-Chin Yang Lin — who operated a Los Angeles motel.

Since his conviction, Williams has written nine books warning children and teenagers about the dangers of gang life. He's been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times and for the Nobel Prize for literature once. In 1993, he videotaped a message at San Quentin that was shown to 400 gang members, and he helped broker a truce between the rival Crips and Bloods gangs during the first-ever gang summit in Los Angeles. He also has written a "peace protocol" to help rival gangs work out disagreements.

Williams, his supporters say, is a living example of the perils of gang life and can be much more valuable to enforcement officials — and to impressionable youth — if he is spared.

"We would make a huge mistake to take such a valuable asset, such a brilliant source of expertise and throw that life away," said Bruce Gordon, president and chief executive of the NAACP. "It'll cause the lives of others to be lost and that makes absolutely no sense to me."

"He is our secret weapon to help young African-Americans avoid gangs," Gordon continued. "We want to save his life so he can save the lives of others."

Other supporters indicate that Williams' execution would extinguish the hopes of imprisoned gang members considering reform, telling them that no one, no matter what they do to change their ways, is worth saving — that there is no mercy for the reformed.

"It would send a terrible message if Stan is executed," said Cameron Sturdevant, an organizer of the "Save Tookie" campaign in California and anti-death penalty activist. "It would not only send out a message of vengeance, avenging violence with violence. But also, if someone like Stan can't get clemency, then who can?"

Opportunistic — and Unrepentant — Gang Icon?

Williams' detractors say he is not a model of a convict deserving of clemency and that some of his supporters are using him — as they have other condemned inmates — to further their own cause. And while Williams has gained notoriety — and some nationwide sympathy — his alleged victims and their families have almost been forgotten.

"What's troubling is that you have these celebrities who take up this cause and they don't know anything about the case and they don't know the victims' names or have never met any of the victims' families," said Jared Lewis. "The bottom line is that we still have relatives of his victims who live with what he did every single day. The wounds for them today are as fresh as they were more than 25 years ago."

Lewis also suggests that Williams is opportunistic, taking credit for his good deeds while in prison but not his legacy as a Crips co-founder.

"His supporters say he is reformed, but Mr. Williams has never admitted responsibility [for the slayings] — he hasn't taken that final step to full reform. And what I find interesting, that he takes credit for saving 1,500 lives but he doesn't mention anything about the lives lost because of the Crips," Lewis said.

Williams' lawyers say he has repeatedly apologized for his past in his children's books and messages to gang members. However, he believes that becoming a police informant would ruin his credibility with the children he is trying to help. They would see him as a snitch and not trust him.

"These children are listening to Stanley because of who he is and what he stands for," said Williams' attorney, Jonathan Harris.

No physical evidence tied Williams to the slayings. Shell casings connected a gun Williams owned to the crime scenes, but his attorneys have challenged the efficiency of the ballistics tests used at the time of his trial. Key prosecution witnesses said that they heard Williams admit to and brag about the slayings.

However, Williams' lawyers have argued that these witnesses had reason to lie: one was an alleged accomplice who was granted immunity while the other was a career criminal. In addition, Williams' attorneys have argued that the prosecution unfairly dismissed all potential black jurors, making the jury that ultimately convicted him racially biased.

he killed a dude less than 5 miles from where i lay my head at night.

personally it's good he's allegedly decided to try to speak out against gang violence whatever.

but at the same time motherfucker had alot of time to think.

he should just own up like a fuckin' man and say fuck it whether for the murders he went to trial for or others he maybe responsible for and say i did a lot of fucked up shit in my time here inadvertantly caused thousands of broken homes, families, deaths, and what not.

now it's time for my sentence to be completed.

if he were to be given a stay of execution every motherfucker on death row would write some bullshit book speaking out against drugs/gangs etc just to try to get out of execution.

'man up'/die tookie die

:burn: Did anyone see on the news, this guy came on saying he's the real founder of the crips and that tookie just a punk hood kid. the guys had boxing gloves, he said tookie deserves to die because when he killed those people he laughed and bragged about.

I could just see his evil laugh

hope he as fun in hell (if there is a hell) :burn:

Guest Sparoism

Some shit's gonna break off once dude dies. Mark my words.

All the shit that's going on in Australia and what just happened in France is coming to a ghetto near you, USA.

And, I LIVE in the ghetto, smack dab in the middle of Oakland. Hooray for the white guy.

I'm rolling with mace, a boxcutter, AND a baseball bat strapped to my bike tomorrow if shit starts popping. That's assuming I leave the house.

I think dude fucked up and should be punished, no doubt, but he's worth a lot more living than as a martyr.

I also don't think he should ever get out of prison, either (just so I don't sound like a complete numbskull).

thats to fuckin bad for him i woulda ate some fried shrimp,mashed potatos & gravy with a big ass side of cow oh and so popeys chicken with some babyback ribs drenched in sauce with some watermellon um damn im hungry of add some mint chocolate chip ice cream and some cheese cake oh and some A1 for my side of cow (good to the last drop)

people had 25 yrs to try making some case as to why he shouldnt die

its not like he got sentenced to death yesterday. A little too late if u ask me. So he wrote some books, woopty fucking hoo

rioting cuz of this would be gay too. i mean, its not like it was a surprise to anyone that he would get killed. what do you think happens to ppl on death row? gimme a break :rolleyes: