Moby Takes on Eminem

Mainter

December 12, 2005

Moby might be a lightweight vegan in body, but he's a verbal heavyweight: In an online journal post last week, Moby took Eminem to task for his misogynistic lyrics. "I respect Eminem as [a] talented and relevant musician," Moby says in a Dec. 6 post. "Now we find out that a British man who is obsessed with Eminem killed a woman with a metal baseball bat and stuffed her body into a suitcase. Am I being 'too uptight' for not seeing the humor in this?"

Later on, Moby lambastes the media for celebrating musicians who glamorize brutality towards women. Moby closes his post on misogyny a call to arms for people in the music business: "Any employee of a record company or journalist or radio programmer or MTV employee who has promoted and celebrated misogynistic or homophobic music should be ashamed. You have blood on your hands, and you should be deeply, deeply troubled at the culture that you've helped to create."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting,

On the one hand I hesitate to blame the musician versus the murderer. But there was a case I was reading today where somebody accused Ozzy Osbourne of causing their kid to commit suicide by "subliminal messages" in that Suicide song.

On the other hand, I can see a lot of fucked up people listening and saying "yo, if he can talk about it, I can talk about it. And if I can talk about it, I can do it." And then stuffing his ex wife in a laptop case and carrying her into mexico on a red-eye.

Seriously fuck MTV and its gangsternation promotion. People get it in their mind that theyre thug as fuck and we laugh and shit. But they take themselves serious and go and try and slang some shit or rob people and houses.

You cant deny MTV has encouraged thugness just as much as theyve encouraged lil bitches in A&F and emo children. The only difference is the thug mindset will take it to the point where they feel they have to prove they are by doing criminal shit.

But mobys a dick and looks like one too. His music for the most part sucks or at least the singles, never bothered to check out anything else of his.

How the fuck did he get famous?

this actually brings up a point of contention i wanted to address. there are conspiracy theories all day on the glamorization of violence and it's impact on society but we can certainly see some relation.

art imitates life/life imitates art

either way, something is going on. television is a powerful tool. it is essentially the public square of our day. those people on tv are our community leaders, whether we choose to recognize or realize it or not. the impact is profound. especially on youth. it is difficult for a parent to outshine the preeminence of an eminem per se. how many kids want to be like their parents? they want to be like their peers. their parents are old, dated, uncool, ... whatever.

the problem with television is that even though it represents our culture and dictates it's norms, it is not at all like the public square. television is distant, impersonal, and it is not interactive. it does not represent us at all. it is a fantasy. it is impossible. yet people do not believe anything unless they see it on television.

i heard a radio program speaking on this issue the other day. about how media creates a climate that expects violence in the black community. it expects people to act hard in order to gain respect. this is not our media. our media would show that yes, life is hard, but we are here to mitigate that. not yes, life is hard, and we are going to make it harder for you because i only care about myself. this is not community building. and what of the dumbing down of our culture? it is not black culture to be uneducated. that is the yoke of slavery back to bind us once again. education is not a 'white' thing. it is universal. all cultures since the dawn of mankind have sought to understand the world around us and within us. in fact black people began it all.

ultimately i blame capitalism, however, since it's goals are base and self serving. as long as money dominates world affairs we will see all sorts of .... ,i hesitate to say evil but perhaps it is so,..... problems. we can create a utopian society free of struggle, free of need, free of all this unecessary hardship... then we will be free to deal with the real wonders of life. material and capital are but a fuel, a means to an ends, a vehicle.... if we allow it to become the end all be all, we will never get to where we are going.

people need to take responsibility for their garbage.

The Case: McCollum et. al. v. CBS, Inc., et. al.

On the evening of October 26, 1984, nineteen year old John McCollum shot and killed himself while listening to the recorded music of rocker Ozzy Osbourne. That night, John listened repeatedly to several of Osbourne’s albums, including Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, and Speak of the Devil. With his headphones on and the music playing, John placed a .22-caliber handgun to his head and took his life.

i like how em calls moby a fag then tells moby to blow him....yes...cuz asking for a man to give you head is not gay at all

i dislike both of these people, eminem more so because his songs are so formulaic its not even funny any more. his shit is dried up and old. its either some hilarious tune dissing everyone, or some hard tune where he talks about his problems and how he killed his mom and loves his daughter. go fuck yourself

fyi, tv violence DOES influence people. Its scientifically proven. Not just violence, but every action we see on TV is very influential. Look it up in actual scientific journals etc.

which sorta has me worried cuz all i really watch on TV is comedy or UFC fights. hahahah

People need to stop looking for a scapegoat to blame the ills of the world on. Whatever happened to personal responsibility or accountability? If an individual is too ignorant to realize the difference between fantasy and reality, don’t blame the recording industry or television, blame the individuals in question. MTV will sell whatever people will buy up. Many people are materialistic and shallow and obviously eat up any shit that reflects and epitomizes that state of mind. I don’t blame MTV for the existence of the aforementioned, they are only cashing in on it.

Who or what is stopping people from changing the channel when the bullshit comes on? Who is spending the money buying into the bullshit? The individuals in question, and no one is forcing them make those choices.

Originally posted by dowmagik@Dec 12 2005, 06:59 PM

sure, music and tv influence people, but im all for personal responsibility. i listen to cannibal corpse and skrewdriver, and im the last guy youll catch beating a guy for being non-white or raping a broad with a knife. if someone shoots themselves due to music, the world is probably better off without them.

That’s what I’m saying. I grew up in the middle of when the P.MR.C was trying to clamp down on the recording industry and bands like Judas Priest were going on trial for allegedly telling kids to kill themselves. I’ve listened to metal and punk since I was in 4th grade. I grew up watching “violent� cartoons, TV shows, and movies. I can safely say that I along with most of my peers turned out to be “normal� members of society. My parents taught me the difference between right and wrong, fantasy and reality and all of that other good stuff that helps keep society held together.

Again, it falls on personal responsibility.

If you have kids, raise them the right way; make sure you teach them the essentials for living. Also, it helps to know if you or your kids have any legit mental issues. I can see that being an issue in many of these isolated cases that we are talking about. Either way, if a person is irresponsible, they and not the rest of us, should pay the price. This applies to so much more than just the topic at hand.

Originally posted by SteveAustin@Dec 12 2005, 07:14 PM

amazing what proper parenting can do for the mental health of children.

Exactly!

I worked in a school with kids who had “issues� and I’m sure it wouldn’t be a surprise to know that so many of their parents had bigger “issues� than their kids did. Actually, It’s pretty sad and even scary.