Geo-thermal energy

John Birch

He's been talking a good game lately, but that's all it is, talk. Remember mid term elections are coming up, they are putting their best foot forward.

( btw it was quite refreshing to see Bush getting slammed over and over again at Coretta Scott Kings funeral. The spirit lives on.)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

If I recall correctly there is talk already going on in NZ right now. One of the earths most promising forms of natural energy.

The theory was to find a pocket of rock just above the molten magma and use the heat as a source of energy (since volcano activity and earthquakes do little to the earths core temperature), having not read national geographic for a while I could not tell you how far along this whole process is right now. No doubt it's not in the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

A thousand foot hole in the ground wont cause earthquakes unless you drill them into the earths plates. There is already technology for alternatives to oil and petro but the problem isnt comming up with new sources of energy it actually getting the financial backing to start a project of that magnitude.

America for the most part wont ever convert atleast not in our lifetime. theres too much to risk.

all the america car companies need oil,

all the wars and land we still have to take from other counties.

I thinks its a great idea drilling someholes and finding an infinate source of power and energy

Not only because John Birch is the smartest guy ever to graduate from a Public school

But because well Hes been in school longer than most people on this thread have been alive and for that Id like to present him with the....

"12oz Birchy Award"

For outstanding google searching ability and perfect grammer at all times.

on behalf on John Birch, I would like to accept my "Birchie"

Thank you and esp my mom and dad and of course his holiness, Muhammad, who comics I could not live w/o... Thank You

btw, to keep this threead on point, dod anyone see Bush's budget proposal? He plans to cut $78 milion from geo-thermal energy reserach... kinda contrary to his SotU address, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Go solar. Rah Rah Rah. I remeber watching a program on pbs about solar power. This one lady in cali had three solar panels. She was making enough energy that she was selling it back to the california electricity companies. Instead of an energy bill every month, she got a check.

My house will have the hook-up and I will drive a hydrogen fuel cell car when they come out. Save the planet. Its your only home.

Yeah, all these ideas are hot but...

Look at where we're heading right now. I'm all for the Biodeisel movement, and the hydrogen power idea is stupid fresh but... The hot topic in congress, and now I'm seeing TV ads, is that 'Yellow' is the new 'green' product. Corn right, but, corn yields very little compared to other products like sugar cane and I think someone said maybe wheat... point is, the extraction process and the usage efficiency are both high cost/marginal return with corn and this is getting the govt. eye because people can literally make more money off of it. Like JB said, nobody is interested in solving our energy problems at the moment. These folks are just trying to figure out how to keep lining their pockets while switching from oil to something new.

Tesla was silenced for a reason, and that had EVERYTHING to do with profits. Why wouldn't this happen to the next Tesla?

*Also, what's it called 'single wire earth return'? SWER is lighting up the most remote parts of Brazil and I think now moving to electrify much of Africa as well. What I heard was all about one fellow, the one who broke it off in Brazil, but I suppose there have to be others right?

People are greedy but every so often you see people get rich off of truly magnanimous inventions. The wind up radio, for example, is insanely popular in Africa, where batteries are nearly impossible to find and exorbitantly priced. Also, another great idea along the same lines, is that batteryless flash light. You shake it to charge and it shines just like a a regular old torchski... I guess we're all waiting for 'that guy' to show up and fix our oil problems...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

after reading that great artcle about the isreal/turkic pipeline, I felt this should be bumped to remind us Americans of our isolationist history and the call to move back to it. We live on our own continent and except for lumber don't really have any resources nations from other continents would want to invade and control...

the rest of the world: europe, Africa, Middle East, and Asia is moving forward and we are being left behind. America has had its time on the world stage. Lets just sit back and enjoy our wealth and continue as innovators in liberal democracy and the sciences...

the first step will be to develop geo-thermal energy... lots of projects for school and college kids... rebuilding a new super modern infrastructure...

My stepdad has this hack theory that global warming is caused by removing all the oil from the earth. By removing the "insulation" your letting all the energy from inside come out, thus the warming effect.

He is always trying to convince someone its a good research project. I think its pretty damn funny. He doesn't actually beleive it, but it's a good example of critical thinking gone wrong.

on an on topic note-

I think what you said about letting other countries have the center stage. Perfect. We agree. For once on our time on this board. We need to step aside and let other nations run the world. Like you said we've have our time, but now we need to make sure shit is all gravy here.

Also, another great idea along the same lines, is that batteryless flash light. You shake it to charge and it shines just like a a regular old torchski... I guess we're all waiting for 'that guy' to show up and fix our oil problems...

I used one of those flashlights camping this summer, it gets a definite two thumbs up

^^^ Well, they'd need to feed oil to the machine that would do the shaking. Or maybe we can make use of all these illegal immigrants, just get like 500 of them to shake a big giant flashlight to power our country. It'll be like ancient Egypt or those people in dungeons who would have to push a wheel around while they got whipped.

those flashlights suck ass mostly. They are mad easy to make. Runs on a really simple principle. I am sure they could work well given the right materials, read- ultra brite LED's. The ones I have used have all been shit. One LED that doesn't work for anything.

All it is is a simple induction system based around sliding a magnet in and out of a wire coil. Which induces a current in the sytem, which in turn has a resistance across the LED, and hence its light. However the LED's that seem to be in those types of flashlights, blew. or at least the ones I used.

-drunk

I tried to drunkely explain these flashlights once to the people I worked with at my school in the public safety office. It was three in the morning, I was checking in and someone mentioned that they didnt understand how the flashlights worked. I stumbled around the concept in a typical drunken ramble. They just sorta looked at me like I was either full of shit or didn't understand a word I said. I imagine this post is much like that.

Get rid of induction, current, resistance, and all those other terms. I think the simplest way would be "You know how if you rub a magnet against a copper wire it makes electricity? Well then when you shake the flashlight, a magnet inside rubs against a wire and makes electricity for the light." BAM.

a couple months ago I asked my father if he thought it would be possible to put a whole bunch of those shakey electricity things on cars, like on the shock towers. Then they could shake-a-shake while we drove down the road creating energy which could then be re-applied to the auto... Dad's a smart guy but he's no theoretical engineer so he didn't know. In fact, he didn't even know about the flashlights...

Yup. I'm pretty sure they'd be aware of that though.

MIT's Energy "Manhattan Project"

"MIT is stepping into a vacuum, because there is no policy, vision or leadership at the top of our nation," he said. "It's uniquely matched. MIT has tremendous strengths across the board -- from science and engineering to management to architecture to the humanities. From that point of view, it's hugely significant."