matisyahu

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i just heard about 20 seconds of this guy, during the credits on meet the barkers (which i love, fuck you all).

this guy is a fucking hack. the reason this shit is 'catchy' is because ANY reggae done in this style is 'catchy'. it's a very simple, very catchy form of music. to hear it just in passing, it's always catchy. that doesn't mean it's good. it's like the first time you saw graffiti when you were a kid. it could have been the wackest, most toy piece, but in your young, inexerpienced mind, it was an 'ill burner'. years later you see that same piece and you're like...holy shit, that was garbage. this dude is garbage. there are 10,000 jamaicans doing exactly what he is, but 100x's better. 'snow' was better than this guy.

I'll be real honest. I dont think the gentile community will get the same thing out of it as the Jewish community. Not hating. There are concepts that are left unexplained words that you might not get, his story, and over all the fact that someone othodox has made it is a big deal for all Jews a like. No one said you have to like him, but I do.

• 1 year later...
so i just heard about 20 seconds of this guy, during the credits on meet the barkers (which i love, fuck you all).

this guy is a fucking hack. the reason this shit is 'catchy' is because ANY reggae done in this style is 'catchy'. it's a very simple, very catchy form of music. to hear it just in passing, it's always catchy. that doesn't mean it's good. it's like the first time you saw graffiti when you were a kid. it could have been the wackest, most toy piece, but in your young, inexerpienced mind, it was an 'ill burner'. years later you see that same piece and you're like...holy shit, that was garbage. this dude is garbage. there are 10,000 jamaicans doing exactly what he is, but 100x's better. 'snow' was better than this guy.

haha. i see what you mean. when i first heard it back in 2005 i kinda liked it. but it was just a little bit too jazzy and rocky for my reggae liking. its no roots. that live at stubbs was the best shit they came out with, and that was pretty shitty. his beat boxing was pretty trippy though.

from the forest itself comes the handle of the axe chop it down chop it down

*on a side note dude was not always hesidic jew....he followed phish or the dead for years and took mad pyschedelics and ganj and shit

i like dudes shit its pretty cool..he was great live at raggamuffins festival

that shit is horrible..

peep this jewish rapper...remedy from wutang camp

If you like remedy you should check out T.A.C.T. he joined them. They are Israeli, so most of their songs are in Hebrew, but some are in English (and a few are in French). They have a Myspace i think.

• 1 month later...

I actually met matisyahu last night at the concourse in sf.....after he finished his set my girl started some lame fight with me and we ended up arguing outside the venue and matisyahu walks out the side entrance and i stopped him and said good show man you had a nice set and he was polite and said i appreciate that, thank you...and i said peace and that was the extent of it... and for all those havent really heard much of his stuff heres a link

http://www.matisyahuworld.com/discography.asp

Chop'em down off the live at Stubbs is a really good song......that is all..commence to hating