The vegan thread

guerillaidiom

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do agree that there are tons of asshole vegans/hippies/whatevers, but there are a whole lot of people who eat meat and are assholes too. thats kind of a silly argument.

i dont eat meat, for a few reasons, mostly because of taste, meat tastes fucking disgusting. turkey, ham, beef you name. it, i doubt i could eat an entire fancy t bone steak or whatever the good ones are even if someone paid me to. ive been like this since i can remember.

im not 120 pounds and have sunken in eyes or anything either. and ive barley eaten any meat my whole life. im actually quite the opposite.

however, if i wasnt a vegetarian/vegan i dont think id eat regular meat just on the basis of the fucked up stuff that goes into meat such as hormones, chemicals etc. especially the stuff thats used in the usa. which if you go into trade talks is being forced into foreign markets by the us government. also equally fucked up. the same goes for chickens, farmed fish, hogs, any other mass consumed meat product. i do eat dairy, but i go organic when it comes to that, and any other food possible.

i just had this discussion the other day about how as mass consumers were forced into buying things we didnt even ask for in our products, but many people are kept in the dark about whats in them and how they are processed. and with a society seeking only whats conveniant these grocery stores are taking over the food market an its harder to find products without these things in them.

thats a pretty half assed argument, but im not sure what i was even arguing against.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by guerillaidiom@Dec 5 2005, 04:47 PM

Like shit, most people don't know that now, as apposed to 150 years ago, 98% of our oceans' wildlife is gone. Including ecosystems, including plants and animals, even algae. 98% gone, just because of 'modern' fishing techniques.

Holy fucking bullshit Batman.

Originally posted by El Mamerro+Dec 5 2005, 06:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (El Mamerro - Dec 5 2005, 06:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-guerillaidiom@Dec 5 2005, 04:47 PM

Like shit, most people don't know that now, as apposed to 150 years ago, 98% of our oceans' wildlife is gone. Including ecosystems, including plants and animals, even algae. 98% gone, just because of 'modern' fishing techniques.

Holy fucking bullshit Batman.

[/b]

no, it's totally true.

I swear.

i my self am not a vegan nor a vegiterian. but have been around vegans latly, and have realized for some reason that i can not explain. the men stick lik really strong b.o. to the point where its hard to talk to them. and the women have hairy legs..AND hairy armpits. when the one chick lifted up her arm to reach for something i was disgusted. i only thought at that time of who would date a women like that.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Dec 5 2005, 04:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Dec 5 2005, 04:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-guerillaidiom@Dec 6 2005, 09:19 AM

no, it's totally true.

I swear.

why, cos you read it on the internet? 'fuck outta here. fuckin hippy armchair marine biologists

[/b]

best diss ever. armchair marine biologist.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Dec 5 2005, 07:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Dec 5 2005, 07:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-guerillaidiom@Dec 6 2005, 09:19 AM

no, it's totally true.

I swear.

why, cos you read it on the internet? 'fuck outta here. fuckin hippy armchair marine biologists

[/b]

:haha:

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Dec 5 2005, 06:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Dec 5 2005, 06:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-guerillaidiom@Dec 6 2005, 09:19 AM

no, it's totally true.

I swear.

[/b]

I didn't read it online, I was discussing things like this with a graduate from harvard one night, then he told me that and it blew my mind. I don't believe much of what I read online anyway.

I was just in harvard square, and this dude was reading some kind of pamphlet about like animal rights or organic meat or something like that, and I asked him about it, and we started talking.

if you don't believe me, that's fine.

it's all good.

Originally posted by guerillaidiom@Dec 6 2005, 09:34 AM

I didn't read it online, I was discussing things like this with a graduate from harvard one night, then he told me that and it blew my mind. I don't believe much of what I read online anyway.

I was just in harvard square, and this dude was reading some kind of pamphlet about like animal rights or organic meat or something like that, and I asked him about it, and we started talking.

if you don't believe me, that's fine.

it's all good.

right, so some guy read it off a pamphelt. well, then it's GOTTA be true.

idiot.

take a swim in the ocean sometime. i think you'll find that there are still billions of fish in there

"According to a Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimate, over 70% of the world’s fish species are either fully exploited or depleted. The dramatic increase of destructive fishing techniques worldwide destroys marine mammals and entire ecosystems. FAO reports that illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing worldwide appears to be increasing as fishermen seek to avoid stricter rules in many places in response to shrinking catches and declining fish stocks. Few, if any, developing countries and only a limited number of developed ones are on track to put into effect by this year the International Plan of Action to Prevent, Deter and Eliminate Unreported and Unregulated Fishing. Despite that fact that each region has its Regional Sea Conventions, and some 108 governments and the European Commission have adopted the UNEP Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land based Activities, oceans are cleared at twice the rate of forests."

http://www.panda.org/news_facts/newsroom/i...m?uNewsID=50600

It's not bullshit, its the truth. Not just cause I read it on the internet. People in my immediate family and a bajillion family friends work for the United Nations and FAO.

maybe i'm a little late to this discussion, but i've been vegan for almost four years and i'm almost positive i'll never go back. i'm not emaciated or iron deficient or anything--i'm much healthier than i was when i ate meat. and i don't really miss anything, except for maybe sweets sometimes, but there are vegan alternatives for everything. as far as shit being more expensive... if you eat mostly fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, tofu, etc. rather than buying overpriced, less healthy meat substitutes, it ends up not costing that much. it really helps to buy in bulk from food co-ops.

as far as hairy women go... my girlfriend doesn't shave. why should she? "because it's nasty" is hardly an acceptable response. society tells her she needs to shave to be beautiful. she says, "fuck that!" i support her decision. but that has nothing to do with the fact that she's a vegetarian.

Still complete bullshit.

The overwhelming vast majority of the ocean's species live near the floor in the deep sea and are almost completely oblivious to human influence on the topmost layers.

PS: A) There's some absolute NUTJOBS on Harvard Square. Don't believe anything they tell you. B) George Bush has a Harvard degree.

Yeah 98% seems a little much, but I think 70% is a pretty reasonable number.

Ps I'm not vegan..just pretty much vegetarian. If I ever eat meat it has to be organic. I love yogurt and cheese waaay to much to give up though. Organic cheese is expensive so I just buy "natural" cheese ( no hormones, grain or pasture fed, local, no artifical colours or preservatives). Local pasture fed goat cheese is inexpensive and tasty....

I still believe 70% is VASTLY exaggerated. I wouldn't go past 30%, and that's pushing it. 70% decimation of the ocean species would have created global cataclysm a long time ago.

Originally posted by El Mamerro@Dec 5 2005, 07:25 PM

Still complete bullshit.

The overwhelming vast majority of the ocean's species live near the floor in the deep sea and are almost completely oblivious to human influence on the topmost layers.

PS: A) There's some absolute NUTJOBS on Harvard Square. Don't believe anything they tell you. B) George Bush has a Harvard degree.

Jr and Sr both graduated from Yale, I think.

Originally posted by Pedal Power!@Dec 5 2005, 07:15 PM

maybe i'm a little late to this discussion, but i've been vegan for almost four years and i'm almost positive i'll never go back. i'm not emaciated or iron deficient or anything--i'm much healthier than i was when i ate meat. and i don't really miss anything, except for maybe sweets sometimes, but there are vegan alternatives for everything. as far as shit being more expensive... if you eat mostly fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, tofu, etc. rather than buying overpriced, less healthy meat substitutes, it ends up not costing that much. it really helps to buy in bulk from food co-ops.

as far as hairy women go... my girlfriend doesn't shave. why should she? "because it's nasty" is hardly an acceptable response. society tells her she needs to shave to be beautiful. she says, "fuck that!" i support her decision. but that has nothing to do with the fact that she's a vegetarian.

you ride bikes too?

Originally posted by guerillaeye@Dec 5 2005, 07:32 PM

Jr and Sr both graduated from Yale, I think.

Yep, they did. Bush Jr. also has an MBA from Harvard Business School.

Originally posted by El Mamerro@Dec 6 2005, 10:28 AM

I still believe 70% is VASTLY exaggerated. I wouldn't go past 30%, and that's pushing it. 70% decimation of the ocean species would have created global cataclysm a long time ago.

zackly. we've explored something like 5-10%(?) of the ocean. any guesstimate they make is just that, a guesstimate. if they're trying to push an agenda (and don't get me wrong, i would definately prefer that we stopped fucking our planet in the butthole with no vaseline) then they're going to manipulate the figures to work in favour of their desired outcome

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Dec 5 2005, 07:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Dec 5 2005, 07:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-El Mamerro@Dec 6 2005, 10:28 AM

zackly. we've explored something like 5-10%(?) of the ocean. any guesstimate they make is just that, a guesstimate. if they're trying to push an agenda (and don't get me wrong, i would definately prefer that we stopped fucking our planet in the butthole with no vaseline) then they're going to manipulate the figures to work in favour of their desired outcome

[/b]

you don't really need to explore the ocean to drop some weights and a net to drag across the ocean floor.

you can do it all from the comfort of a boat.

just saying.

Originally posted by guerillaidiom+Dec 6 2005, 11:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guerillaidiom - Dec 6 2005, 11:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Dec 5 2005, 07:41 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-El Mamerro@Dec 6 2005, 10:28 AM

you don't really need to explore the ocean to drop some weights and a net to drag across the ocean floor.

you can do it all from the comfort of a boat.

just saying.

[/b]

if 70+% of the contents of the ocean was gone we would have all died a long time ago. just saying