The turbo car thread

Avancier

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest -MOE LESTER-

what would be the best engine to drop into an old school datsun 510

me and some homies are playin around with the idea of building up a project one. we were thinkin sr20 but those things are so overpriced because of the drift hype these days....what would be a cheap but kickass engine

That does suck that drifting is a NHRA sponsored event now... before it was tuners, like real tuners, not the honda boys

with their all motor bullshit, these guys were genius car modification experts doin this as an "underground" type

hobby... it can almost be related to graffiti in that sense. Moe, if I knew anything about Nissan/Datsuns I'd try to give you advice...

I think Shameless or Avancier are the guys to talk to in the Nissan department.

Guest -MOE LESTER-

dont get me wrong, i actually love drifting and all that, but its easy to see how mainstream shit just destroys the little things we love about cars

for example, the 240sx. this is a sexy car with lots of potential, a few years ago this car was relatively rare and broke my neck easily.

nowadays, i see hurt ass 240s, with two different kinds of mesh rims, on stock suspension, with hurt ass bodykits and fartcan mufflers EVERYWHERE. like the honda civic, rwd japanese cars are going in the same direction. its pathetic, i fucking hate rice, why do people do that shit!??!!

the 240 was my dream project car, but now owning a kickass turbo 240 seems cliche and boring......mainstream ruins everything

Moe, sky is the limit for possibilities of engine swaps..an sr20det would be cool, so would an RB25-26 or maybe even a 2JZ. They all are pretty bad ass. I have heard of people putting my z's engine into it, l28et (200hp) (comes with bog-warner t5 trans, stock) and even the vg30E and vg30dett series from the 300 z's would be awesome.

Now if your looking for something easy, go with the KA24DE. Kids are throwing these things away, literally. Go snatch one up for nothing..its tough and is receptive towards turbo charging..

Just whatever you do, dont put some domestic shit in the engine bay..

:)

Originally posted by -MOE LESTER-@Feb 8 2006, 08:55 PM

me and some homies are playin around with the idea of building up a project one. we were thinkin sr20 but those things are so overpriced because of the drift hype these days....what would be a cheap but kickass engine

Get a KA24DE twin cam out of a 91-94 240SX. Keep it NA and do the usual boltons like header, cold air intake, exhaust. This should make you happy and make that little car move very nice. You will need to use a modified crossmember to clear the KA oil pan, or run a custom oil pan to clear the 510 crossmember. The reasoning behind the KA swap:

-cheap: found in junkyards/sold for dirt cheap by people who did the SR swap into their 240

-parts are plentiful: you can get boltons easily and you can get any parts you need for it at any auto parts store or Nissan dealer anytime

-TORQUE: you will have 155 ft/lbs of torque throughout the powerband in your light 510 which means lots of fun with the useful power.

You will need to have the wiring harness and ECU as well as have a custom driveshaft made and use the 240 rear end. Might as well get an LSD for the rear end too, you will most definitely need that! Search around on the web, I have see this swap done in 510s before by finding them on 510 enthusiasts sites.

Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by Avancier+Feb 9 2006, 06:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avancier - Feb 9 2006, 06:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin--MOE LESTER-@Feb 8 2006, 08:55 PM

Get a KA24DE twin cam out of a 91-94 240SX. Keep it NA and do the usual boltons like header, cold air intake, exhaust. This should make you happy and make that little car move very nice. You will need to use a modified crossmember to clear the KA oil pan, or run a custom oil pan to clear the 510 crossmember. The reasoning behind the KA swap:

-cheap: found in junkyards/sold for dirt cheap by people who did the SR swap into their 240

-parts are plentiful: you can get boltons easily and you can get any parts you need for it at any auto parts store or Nissan dealer anytime

-TORQUE: you will have 155 ft/lbs of torque throughout the powerband in your light 510 which means lots of fun with the useful power.

You will need to have the wiring harness and ECU as well as have a custom driveshaft made and use the 240 rear end. Might as well get an LSD for the rear end too, you will most definitely need that! Search around on the web, I have see this swap done in 510s before by finding them on 510 enthusiasts sites.

[/b]

this was actually what my brother was recommending too....it makes sense

Guest -MOE LESTER-

whats wrong with the domestics tho?? has any one seen the darius240z? its got a corvette motor in that bitch, runs close 10s and can race motorcycles

in SCC there was a dope rx-7 with a ls1 in it too

Because that's gettin shit fucked up, Japanese cars are for tuning and for forced induction. Those guys would never make

a gas hog motor like a huge 5.7liter hemi... and putting a domestic motor inside of an import is just bastardizing

the car in my opinion. I'm not trying knock anyone's dreams but that sounds like a redneck thing to do... sorry, no offense to anyone.

I would like to say that I was messing around with the cam angle sensor on my car last night and got the idle to sound

alot more steady. I need a timing light.

Originally posted by -MOE LESTER-@Feb 10 2006, 12:05 AM

whats wrong with the domestics tho?? has any one seen the darius240z? its got a corvette motor in that bitch, runs close 10s and can race motorcycles

in SCC there was a dope rx-7 with a ls1 in it too

Thats like taking the cars soul! :haha:

Its like lifting the hood of a beautiful chevelle and seeing a VQ45DE.. :yuck:

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Feb 9 2006, 07:17 PM

^^Haha, how'd you do that? Did you just swap parts and they fit?

got the turbo from federal mogul when i used to work there and then a guy i knew that did all the maintenance on the building and was nice enough to weld up some custom headers for me for free. and the rest of the various parts were taken out of a dumpster. most of the engines that we dyno tested were used to find the breaking points of fel-pro gaskets and when we were done with the tests we would throw away the motors. so i just took what i needed off each motor and used it on my set up. my turbo set up for the 401 cost me less than $100 but took over a year to get the right parts to make it work. i put the 401 in my jeep j10 truck and it works great. i love fucking with ricers, they see a jacked up truck with 35" tires and they think its slow. i havnt driven it in awhile cuz the mpg on it sucks. with no efi and a blowthrough carb setup i manage prolly 5-8 mpg. but edelbrock just came out with a efi set up for the 401 but its pricey. im thinking of making a custom intake manifold and useing gm parts and prolly some type of after market engine management. but i dont have the time right now cuz of school and work

Originally posted by -MOE LESTER-+Feb 11 2006, 04:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-MOE LESTER- - Feb 11 2006, 04:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>check out this car.....is this a deal??

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/133024971.html

talon turbo for 2 gs...its in my hood too

[/b]

That's not bad, go drive the car see if any of the gears grind. It's not going to be a car that you can just drive the hell out of

and expect it to stay working right... just so you know, but yeah that car doesn't seem like a rip off.

Originally posted by ~KRYLON2~@Feb 11 2006, 04:52 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_habiT@Feb 9 2006, 07:17 PM

^^Haha, how'd you do that? Did you just swap parts and they fit?

got the turbo from federal mogul when i used to work there and then a guy i knew that did all the maintenance on the building and was nice enough to weld up some custom headers for me for free. and the rest of the various parts were taken out of a dumpster. most of the engines that we dyno tested were used to find the breaking points of fel-pro gaskets and when we were done with the tests we would throw away the motors. so i just took what i needed off each motor and used it on my set up. my turbo set up for the 401 cost me less than $100 but took over a year to get the right parts to make it work. i put the 401 in my jeep j10 truck and it works great. i love fucking with ricers, they see a jacked up truck with 35" tires and they think its slow. i havnt driven it in awhile cuz the mpg on it sucks. with no efi and a blowthrough carb setup i manage prolly 5-8 mpg. but edelbrock just came out with a efi set up for the 401 but its pricey. im thinking of making a custom intake manifold and useing gm parts and prolly some type of after market engine management. but i dont have the time right now cuz of school and work

That's pretty awesome.

I am probably getting another SE-R from a friend of mine. Its a red 97 200SX SE-R with a blown motor, the turbo and trans are still good. This car is done, and done right. Its going to get a fresh JDM SR20DE that will go in place of the blown motor and the turbo will go onto that. Very nice car, interior is all there, a nice race seat, full suspension with Ground Control coilovers/AGX shocks, all the poly bushings.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Feb 12 2006, 10:09 AM

^^Awesome... how much are you getting it for?  I want to work on my car today but it's really cold outside.  It sucks waiting for the weekend to

work on the car and then the weather is cold like this.  Hell no I ain't sittin out there and bustin my knuckles while it's cold.

With the kick ass killer stereo system made up of choice Alpine and MB Quart shit, with an amp and an MTX 12" sub, $2500. JDM DE, $500 shipped to my dealership. Total investment $3000. The car is also coming with an installed JDM Nismo radiator, a Stillen header, and also a whole other T25 DET turbo. Id say that I am getting away with murder here. You see, my friend who i am buying it from needs to fix his bike, a Yamaha R1. He wrecked it. He gave up on the car because he has a jackass buddy that helped him put 2 different motors in the car because on the first one, the dude left an oil feed line loose, oil leaked out, killed the motor. On the second attempt he helped with, same jackass crimped a coolant line and all coolant leaked away, killed the second motor, the one that is in the car now. Getting me an engine stand and a fresh JDM swap and will proceed to tap the block for the oil return on the turbo, just like I did mine. Then, once I get it in the new car, my roomate is buying my SE-R for a good deal and that will cover the loan I am getting to buy the new car. Tax return money is buying the new motor. I am totally happy right now, this is one situation in which all parties involved will benefit greatly.

Sounds like a sweet deal. I'm gonna order some red vacuum lines from road race engineering.com and yes I know it sounds

ricey, but it will match all the other red on my car and I'm having vacuum line issues anyhow. The lines are stock now and

it wouldn't hurt to replace all of them seeing as how they're almost 16 years old.

larsonallhose.jpg

Well, I gave my little bro the cash yesterday and showed him what I needed from RRE, so now I sit and wait.

Also, there was a note on my car yesterday from some Marie girl.... she wants to buy my car, I had to call her and tell

her, for one it doesn't run right, and for two when it does, it's still not for sale..

Originally posted by -MOE LESTER-@Feb 8 2006, 08:55 PM

BIG CHEVY V8!!! WOULD MAKE SHIT FLY!!!