50 CENT banned from Canada..

hello1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

If he didn't have a record, it wouldn't be a thing.

But the 'profiting from crime' thing is big in Canada.

If someone commits a mass murder, then writes a book about it from prison,

all the money from sales goes to the victims and support groups.

Which I personally tink is the right thing.

MP wants rapper 50 Cent banned from Canada

CTV.ca News Staff

Toronto-area MP Dan McTeague wants Immigration Minister Joe Volpe to prevent bad boy rap star 50 Cent from entering the country because he allegedly promotes gun violence.

50 Cent -- or "Fiddy'' as he's also known -- is scheduled to launch a Canadian tour Dec. 3 in Vancouver. He'll then make stops in Halifax, Saint John, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto and Ottawa.

Fifty Cent claims his music is an expression of his life experience. "It's a reflection of the environment that I come from," he said in an interview.

But McTeague doesn't think the rapper should be allowed into Canada because of the message he sends to his fans.

"There are indeed limits and restrictions on freedom of expression, particularly if they incite hate or if they are the kind of activity that is killing our young youths right across Toronto," McTeague told reporters Wednesday.

He said the last thing Canada needs right now is a rapper who glorifies violence. "I think it's the timing on this, Bev, more than anything else," McTeague told Canada AM's Beverly Thomson earlier Wednesday.

"Toronto has witnessed an unprecedented number of young violent deaths as a result of gang warfare, gang culture."

Because 50 Cent has a criminal record, he would be required to obtain a ministerial permit to enter Canada, just as Martha Stewart would have needed to enter Canada for a pumpkin festival in Nova Scotia. Such permits are not unusual and are reportedly granted regularly.

It's not known whether the rapper had applied for or obtained that special permit.

But McTeague doesn't believe "Fiddy" - whose real name is Curtis Jackson - should be given that permit, noting that the last time the rapper performed in Canada, there was a fatal shooting outside a concert theatre.

"What I am concerned about is the context in which he is coming," the MP says. "The last time he was here in 2003 in my city and in the GTA, a man was killed at the Molson Amphitheatre. Another attempt was made in Montreal at the next concert.

"I'm not suggesting he's responsible," McTeague was quick to add, but he notes that even black director Spike Lee has been highly critical of the message that 50 Cent's "gangsta" persona is sending to young black men.

50 Cent is, of course, no stranger to violence. The admitted former drug dealer was famously shot nine times and his songs reflect the hard life he led on the streets of Queen's, New York. His life story recently became the subject of a new movie, Get Rich or Die Tryin'.

But some music critics have condemned 50 Cent's music and image for celebrating guns and drugs, without any emphasis on moral consciousness.

Last month, Paramount Pictures pulled some billboards for 50 Cent's movie that showed the rapper holding a gun in one hand and a microphone in the other, after community activists complained they glorified gun violence.

McTeague says allowing 50 Cent into Canada at a time when gun violence is raging makes no sense.

"This is not a question of censorship," he adds. "This is a question of trying to protect… the young men in our communities who are being destroyed in the prime of their lives.

"Police tell us that are gang leaders as young as 13, 14 in the area. Those are not individuals who have received or can possibly have the kind of maturity to be able to distinguish between right and wrong."

"There's a fine line between something that advocates or gives the impression that violence is okay and then at the same time, scratch your head saying why is there so much violence in the community?"

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty says he doesn't think rappers like 50 Cent can be blamed for the deadly gunplay on the streets of Toronto this year.

McGuinty told reporters Wednesday that he "wouldn't want to put too much stock'' in 50 Cent's influence and that of other rappers even if they do hold some sway with young people. He says the causes of Toronto's gun violence are much more complex than anything one rapper can influence.

Volpe, meanwhile, said his office reviews every application for ministerial permits and it will be no different in 50 Cent's case. He would not comment on the specifics of the case.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by ASER1NE@Nov 25 2005, 11:29 PM

Not that i care bc he's a fag anyhow , but i feel discrimination is discrimination .

Are you saying all black people claim to be murderers? Or was it more about the "fag" thing?

Originally posted by KING BLING+Nov 26 2005, 12:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING BLING - Nov 26 2005, 12:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ASER1NE@Nov 25 2005, 11:29 PM

Not that i care bc he's a fag anyhow , but i feel discrimination is discrimination .

Are you saying all black people claim to be murderers? Or was it more about the "fag" thing?

[/b]

Neither really , im saying theyre picking him out partly bc of his stature in pop culture and obviously partly bc of his race.

What would possibly be dangerous about 50 comming to canada, I HIGHLY doubt he's going to go and kill a bunch of people while he is on tour here.

Im sure that there are a high number of convicted felons of all other races coming into canada every year that might actually pose a threat to the generall public who arent postered all over the news.

I dont recall the media trying to get Kid Rock or Eminem banned from the country and id be willing to bet that their criminal records are comparably extensive.

in my experience..people are a lot more timid in canada..there freindly but kind of mellow.. and many can be awe strucked at these kinds of rappers that come from america talking about killing people.. it can make a lot of them nervous.. they dont have concentrated ghetto's like the us does.. the only ghettos (poor black) that they have are small and are mixed with white middle class and not concentrated at all.. although murder may be on the rise in toronto now it is still much much less than most us cities.. when i was living in montreal... the news would go crazy if a guy was shot in the leg..and when the occasional murder happens (monlthy) but compared to the US.. i mean they dont even publicise murders if only one person was shot and it was foul play (as most murders)..

just stating a differnence

Originally posted by RumPuncher@Nov 26 2005, 04:29 AM

If he didn't have a record, it wouldn't be a thing.

But the 'profiting from crime' thing is big in Canada.

If someone commits a mass murder, then writes a book about it from prison,

all the money from sales goes to the victims and support groups.

Which I personally tink is the right thing.

They tried to do that over here to the author of "Goodfellas" the court determined that the law was unconstitutional as it discriminated on the basis of content. Which is something that we barbarians take damn seriously.

Still, 50 Cent is laaaame...

Originally posted by ASER1NE@Nov 26 2005, 01:33 PM

.. im saying theyre picking him out partly bc of his stature in pop culture and obviously partly bc of his race.

What would possibly be dangerous about 50 comming to canada, I HIGHLY doubt he's going to go and kill a bunch of people while he is on tour here.

Im sure that there are a high number of convicted felons of all other races coming into canada every year that might actually pose a threat to the generall public who arent postered all over the news.

I dont recall the media trying to get Kid Rock or Eminem banned from the country and id be willing to bet that their criminal records are comparably extensive.

i didn't read the whole article, but i'm pretty sure the operative phrase was that

50 'promotes violence', not that 50 himself is going to kill people.

i don't know if he actually 'promotes' it since i'm not a big 50 cent guy, but he certainly increases the volume of violence in society.

is there a liklihood 50 is going to be the impetus for

some mindless youth to cause a ruckus or perhaps incite violence while listening to lyrics

that glorify it? i'm not saying the race thing isn't part of the equation, but i think there is more weight to the actual substance

of canadian authorities concerns than your assertion it's merely a race/celebrity thing. eminem has caused a ton of controversy everywhere he's gone, including canada.

also, do you actually know eminem and kid rock have extensive criminal records comparable to 50 cent?

how come they dont just point out the fact that any coward can sell drugs, and that "fiddy" was shot 9 times, he never shot anyone else. or how come they dont point out that hes a fuckin bitch and hes plagiarizing not only his pseudo, but his whole life story as well. id go on, but fuck em, i hope the U.S. follows suit.

Originally posted by seeking@Nov 26 2005, 07:40 AM

if i had to get one of those fucking permits (which i did) his ass sure as fuck better have to get you, just on god damn principle. $200 ass bullshit.

ha.

When I went to canada , I didn't have to get any permits. And I got a big beard and look like what the tv shows you terrorists look like.

they just asked me where I was going and I told them, just visiting, then they waved us on through, no check , nothing.

I saw old people getting stopped though, I think they were afraid of religious-profiling us, ha-ha....

Originally posted by seeking@Nov 26 2005, 07:40 AM

if i had to get one of those fucking permits (which i did) his ass sure as fuck better have to get you, just on god damn principle. $200 ass bullshit.

ha.

When I went to canada , I didn't have to get any permits. And I got a big beard and look like what the tv shows you terrorists look like.

they just asked me where I was going and I told them, just visiting, then they waved us on through, no check , nothing.

I saw old people getting stopped though, I think they were afraid of religious-profiling us, ha-ha....

Originally posted by POIESIS+Nov 27 2005, 01:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (POIESIS - Nov 27 2005, 01:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ASER1NE@Nov 26 2005, 01:33 PM

.. im saying theyre picking him out partly bc of his stature in pop culture and obviously partly bc of his race.

What would possibly be dangerous about 50 comming to canada, I HIGHLY doubt he's going to go and kill  a bunch of people while he is on tour here.

I dont recall the media trying to get Kid Rock or Eminem banned from the country and that their criminal records are comparably extensive.

i didn't read the whole article, but i'm pretty sure the operative phrase was that

50 'promotes violence', not that 50 himself is going to kill people.

i don't know if he actually 'promotes' it since i'm not a big 50 cent guy, but he certainly increases the volume of violence in society.

is there a liklihood 50 is going to be the impetus for

some mindless youth to cause a ruckus or perhaps incite violence while listening to lyrics

that glorify it? i'm not saying the race thing isn't part of the equation, but i think there is more weight to the actual substance

of canadian authorities concerns than your assertion it's merely a race/celebrity thing. eminem has caused a ton of controversy everywhere he's gone, including canada.

also, do you actually know eminem and kid rock have extensive criminal records comparable to 50 cent?

[/b]

That being said i still think their is a level of discrimination involved. And the notion that he 'Promotes violence' while it may be a factor, Since when is it Right to punish someone for crimes that OTHER people MIGHT commit using their own bad judgement.

Of course i have no idea as to the criminal records of celebrities thus the operative phrase "id be willing to bet" thier records are comparable.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle@Dec 6 2005, 02:02 AM

Who cares, 50 Cent is the musical equivalent of a labotomy performed through your asshole anyway....

words to live by.

he's the worst.

not to mention HE CAN'T RAP!

he's the worst.

oh he got shot 9 times...so fucking what? my friends been shot and they say it was humbling, not gangsterfying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I could gather on google, Kid Rock has a misdemeanor assault charge (for punching a DJ at a strip club) and Eminem has a felony concealed weapon charge.

Fifty Cent has two felony drug possesion/ distribution charges. Not that it seems like anyone needs it, but here is more supporting evidence that 50 is a douchebag.