Keeping Up With The Hiltons

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Dyptheria
Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Nov 22 2005, 12:59 PM

This is going to be half-assed, but here's my take:

What we're seeing now is the end product of thousands of years of philosophical and industrial evolution; our lives have been made so easy that people no longer need, or want, to focus on rudimentary concepts such as 'being a decent person', the definition of 'quality', or why we behave the way we behave. Those bases have been covered, the ideas reformed and the information dispurst. As a result, societies have been built on those paradigms in a way that people can exist within their guidelines without acutally knowing them first-hand.

In other words: Thanks to the progress of those who've come before, we're able to drive a car without having to understand its mechanics; ancient philosophers and mathematicians began to figure out the basic principles of life thousands of years ago, and with each and every discovery life was made easier for the following generation leading up to the now, where we exist in the 'simple', automated world that generations before us probably dreamed of.

I think that all of this has made us lazy. We've lost focus. By all definitions, the world at large is bordering on insanity. Everyone's seeking fullfillment (enlightenment?) but no one's telling us how to obtain it. Some are even pathological in their excessive material happiness and you can tell they're dead when you look in their eyes. Some have obtained sufficient material success but aren't made happy by it so they assume they're 'depressed' because they don't know that there's more out there than a nice home and a used Cadillac in the driveway. The world is operating on conflicted messages and it's damn near schizophrenic.

That said...

Thinking about the evils of excess is a privledge afforded to those with enough. Most of the time you just end up sounding like a long-winded dumbfuck when you try to talk about stuff like this (which I'm guilty of). I've strapped on my blinders and I don't really let this shit get to me. When I start thinking about it too much I try to remember that I've got friends and family that are at home thinking about how they're going to feed their kids or find a ride to work and it puts things back into perspective.

BR.MLB

MADWORLD

just my thoughts:

first off, the assumption that your point in time or your

mode of existence is the "end product" of any evolution is a very

arrogant assumption. evolution is a continuing process, and we're only

viewing a snapshot that will be completely forgotten in due time.

not doing something you don't have to do is a the beauty of being

human:

do you feel like you're missing out on some integral process when

you strike a match and get a flame in one second? generations of

cavemen dedicated their lives to mastering fire.

do you think that the first man that walked on the moon didn't have

an authentic experience since he didn't design or build the rocket?

mr. armstrong also had nothing to do with the last 200 years of

physicists learning, mastering, and manipulating the laws of nature

required to even design a rocket.

when you bite into an ear of corn, do you feel like your missing out on

the 10,000 years of artificial selection that agriculturists put into

creating our present-day version of corn?

This hasn't made us lazy, it's given us room to grow.

think of humanity as an organism, and all our learning and experience

contributes to the 'collective conscience'

humans giving themselves a rank of importance based on their money

or the objects they own is a result of capitalism and consumerism.

it's not the direct result of the void in activity left by technology.

fuck trying to be like the hiltons, fuck celebrity worshipping middle

america. these fools are just suckers who buy into a social structure

that's designed to make a select few rich, and the rest of the

population slaves to these empires.

i'm going to take advantage of these conveniences afforded me by

the progressive growth of the human collective conscience, not lament

them

Originally posted by Dyptheria@Nov 24 2005, 09:22 AM

just my thoughts:

first off, the assumption that your point in time or your

mode of existence is the "end product" of any evolution is a very

arrogant assumption. evolution is a continuing process, and we're only

viewing a snapshot that will be completely forgotten in due time.

not doing something you don't have to do is a the beauty of being

human:

You're right. Hopefully in a few thousand years we'll start to evolve a third asscheek to watch Lost and a brain that's better at processing indifference.

I see what you're saying, but I think that whatever 'growth' automation allowed for has already taken place, turned into laziness, and come back to kick us in the ass.

"The industrial revolution has flipped a bitch on evolution,

Now everything seems to be reversing, and it's worsening."

I'm trimming the fat this turkey day whether I wanted to or not. Spending some time in one of the last bastions of conscious proletarianism in the US with the fam. I saw a statistic a year or so ago that informed me that now a mere 15% of the population in the US is blue collar. That made me feel pretty stupid to know that I am one of the last few suffering so, but then again, things are more real and less superficial. What I lacked materially I have gained in heart and soul.

Guest Dyptheria
Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Nov 25 2005, 12:17 AM

You're right. Hopefully in a few thousand years we'll start to evolve a third asscheek to watch Lost and a brain that's better at processing indifference.

I see what you're saying, but I think that whatever 'growth' automation allowed for has already taken place, turned into laziness, and come back to kick us in the ass.

"The industrial revolution has flipped a bitch on evolution,

Now everything seems to be reversing, and it's worsening."

let me distinguish:

large numbers of americans are lazy and also a few other developed nations.

but many other cultures around the world have all the technological advances we have, yet still maintain a strong work ethic. evidence that technology itself isn't the cause for laziness