Gracie Appreciation Thread

Tough Love

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

i don't doubt royce will bite the dust, but i don't think hughes will walk all over

him like everyone thinks. hughes said he's going to try and keep it standing..

basically negating his own game because he knows he can't fuck with royce on

the ground. should be interesting.

The Gracie family got popular when... his grandfather and his either brother or uncle went to japan to fight the top judo guys of their time. They both lost :huh2:

but i still wouldnt want to fight anyone from that family.

edit* I'm more psyched for the couture laddel(sp?) fight.

^that would be hilarious, sad, impressive and generally wtf.

and i mean both.

i heard burkman's performance was the most impressive of the night.

i also heard the sylvia fight was lame and that he defended

silva's take downs by illegally holding the fence repeatedly.

?

Yeah that was kinda unfair that he kept grabbing the fence and still won. I thought that fight was boring to watch, a few good jabs and kicks but 3 rounds of Yanni.

That fight with Goulet and Ludwig was hilarious that lasted 11 seconds. One good punch and Goulet was out.

I was also impressed with Burkman, Fickett is a tough guy.

I CANT FUCKING WAIT for gracie and hughes. i dont really think matts all that great standing to avoid gracies take downs....i tihnk he wil kill hughes on the ground, altho, considering how franklin beat shamrock, i havea feeling theyr only setting up gracie to lose.

royce_akebono.jpg

Name: Royce Gracie

Record: 13-2-2

Wins: 13 / Losses: 2 / Draws: 2

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 178lbs

Birth Date: 12/12/1966

City: Rio De Janeiro

Team : Team Royce Gracie

hes only got 2 losses.....but his last fight was in 2004 according to his site....so who knows

• 4 weeks later...

RIP Grandmater Carlson Gracie

http://news.adcombat.com/article.html?id=10567

I was at UFC 57 and it was electrifying being there live.

ufc.jpg

Nick Diaz and Riggs got into a scrap at the hosptial afterwards, and Couture retired after being knocked out by Liddell. Apparently Randy slipped and that brief moment was all Chuck needed to open fire with his snippering fists. Glad to see Frank Mir took a beating.

if your a fight fan you need to watch the movie choke with Rickson Gracie. I dont know if this had already been mentioned but it depicts perfectly how brazilian jiu jitsu is the most realistic/superior form of hand to hand martial arts. Also they have a Gracie family history that is available on dvd with narrative by rickson. Cool street fights caught on that video where jiu jitsu is implemented in real world no rules street fights against other trained fighters. Im a nut about watching this shit, almost nerd status. Ive been to a ufc bout in jersey and that was cool but I enjoy watching k-1 and pride more. And I think royce has the advantage on Hughes as far as takedowns go which will determine the fight considering his backround.

• 3 months later...

^heh heh..

7 days to go isn't it?

i was just reading above, somebody said hughes is going to get killed on the ground...

we're not talking somebody who's a standup banger, hughes' bread and butter is smashing dudes on the mat so even though he's up against gracie jiu-jitz, it's a way different game nowadays with the versatility and experience of somebody like hughes. seriously, it's gonna be a lopsided as fuck domination for hughes. i expect to see a devastating slam from hughes, followed up with a flurry of vicious elbows and ref stoppage near the end of the first round. just straight up manhandling steez.

at least royce is gettin' paid large for this fight.

All snide comments aside, Gracie and the previous generations that pioneered BJJ are amazing. It will be an interesting fight for sure to see what happens. Personally I find k-1 to be more entertaining than UFC but to each their own.. i can't complain because it's the closest thing I'm gonna get to Muay Thai being on tv every week.