Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misteraven

AKA copies...

Recommended Posts

Originally posted by Misteraven+Dec 8 2005, 11:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Misteraven - Dec 8 2005, 11:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-guerillaeye@Dec 8 2005, 02:05 PM

raven.. they made good on the order. good look.

 

the guys at 4thw are good people. they really go far out of their way to make sure people are treated properly. i'm sure most of you guys that have ordered can say you got your stuff fast, and probably also got laced up with some extra stuff.

[/b]

 

 

 

Yeah, came in about a week and I ordered it on Thanksgiving. They definitly hooked it up with the freebies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was disappointed by this book. I thought it was too design oriented for my taste. The gloss overlay idea is attractive, but overused.

 

I did really really like the spreads of tags, fills, gates and (especially) doors.

 

I did not like the posters. I like seeing Skuf's work around and would have much preferred a poster with 100 Skuf fillins as opposed to a photo of him. What is this? Tiger Beat? A poster of those doors would have been much much more interesting to look at. The other poster is just an ad for the book, which I already bought.

 

Most of the other stuff in the book was very pretty, but just not that interesting to me. "Featuring" VFR is a good idea, but one sentence and one photo is a featherweight feature.

 

"Featuring" Noah and Os Gemeos? They are in there, but it's a stretch. You might as well say you are featuring everyone on the tag page.

 

On which, by the way, there are also a lot of double examples of people who don't live in NY: Gorey, Grey, Amaze, Twist, Meak, at least. I know, those tags are in NY. I'm not saying they should be excluded, but do they need 2 or 3? Isn't there someone you could have put in who is from NY instead? There are plenty of new Stay High 149 tags, for example. (There are also duplicate shots of Pace KUK and Whirl.)

 

Could you guys think about hooking up some nice, long, thoughtful interviews again? You have done some excellent ones in the past. I'm sure Noah has enough stories to make a real feature.

 

The truck graphic designers section seemed a little out of place to me, but that may be my personal taste. Nice stuff, but a bit contradictory to the "grimey" mission statement of the book? Maybe it's just me.

 

Overall, I appreciate the effort that went into this book, and would probably not have taken the time be so critical, but the after 5 pages of orgasmic accolades, I figure you guys can take it.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I agree about the posters. + I cant open the pages, I feel like im gonna rip it. The quality is fucking amazing on this book though. Congrats to all who were involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by sammysnyderz@Dec 13 2005, 03:01 AM

I was disappointed by this book. I thought it was too design oriented for my taste. The gloss overlay idea is attractive, but overused.

 

I did really really like the spreads of tags, fills, gates and (especially) doors.

 

I did not like the posters. I like seeing Skuf's work around and would have much preferred a poster with 100 Skuf fillins as opposed to a photo of him. What is this? Tiger Beat? A poster of those doors would have been much much more interesting to look at. The other poster is just an ad for the book, which I already bought.

 

Most of the other stuff in the book was very pretty, but just not that interesting to me. "Featuring" VFR is a good idea, but one sentence and one photo is a featherweight feature.

 

"Featuring" Noah and Os Gemeos? They are in there, but it's a stretch. You might as well say you are featuring everyone on the tag page.

 

On which, by the way, there are also a lot of double examples of people who don't live in NY: Gorey, Grey, Amaze, Twist, Meak, at least. I know, those tags are in NY. I'm not saying they should be excluded, but do they need 2 or 3? Isn't there someone you could have put in who is from NY instead? There are plenty of new Stay High 149 tags, for example. (There are also duplicate shots of Pace KUK and Whirl.)

 

Could you guys think about hooking up some nice, long, thoughtful interviews again? You have done some excellent ones in the past. I'm sure Noah has enough stories to make a real feature.

 

The truck graphic designers section seemed a little out of place to me, but that may be my personal taste. Nice stuff, but a bit contradictory to the "grimey" mission statement of the book? Maybe it's just me.

 

Overall, I appreciate the effort that went into this book, and would probably not have taken the time be so critical, but the after 5 pages of orgasmic accolades, I figure you guys can take it.....

 

i always appreciate criticism when it's presented sincerely and backed up with explanation. though i don't particularly agree with some of what you've mentioned, i'll keep it in mind moving forward. i'll also take a moment to explain some of the decisions...

 

for starters, this is our first publication since theVapors project which dropped over five years ago. the last 12oz actually dropped in 1998 which is even longer. not to make excuses, but it was a real challenge to pretty much start from scratch and develop something that would meet, let alone exceed, expectations. once you have a little momentum (as we now have), it'll be easier to push forward and do something better each time. if you compare 12ozProphet #1 with #6 you'll see what i mean. granted we have a heritage of publishing graff that extends back to 1994 just with 12ozProphet, ALSO KNOWN AS is simply a first step in what i hope to be a long series that will presumably get better and better over time. that said... though in fact this is a first attempt at a new series, hopefully our hard work will be noticed, and our efforts to reset standards in (graffiti) publishing will be realized.

 

the gloss overlays (finishing), in my opinion weren't over used. i feel in some areas they could have been better considered (hind sight is 50/50), but all in all i feel that since we were the first to have ever done anything similar in a graffiti publication, that with AKA we've refined the concept further and now sort of claimed ownership over the technique to create a distinctiveness to a type of design/production that i'd assume people will recognize us for. sorry if you don't like it, but the feedback otherwise has been pretty tremendous. i happen to enjoy that sort of thing, so i'm sure there will be plenty more of advanced production techniques incorporated into the design in the future as well.

 

i feel your comments on the posters could be considered more of a subjective opinion. the logo poster was decided because this is the first volume of a series, and therefore, we're trying to establish a brand identity. the logo poster is a tool (much like most of the stickers) to help accomplish this. the skuf poster is unlike anything we've done in the past, but since we consider him to be like family, we went for the idea. ultimately, both are just bonus items though, and i'm pretty sure at least half the kids out there would appreciate an portrait style poster, over a photograph of more graff. i personally prefer logo type posters, and probably wouldnt hang a poster of graff or a writer (person) on my wall.

 

i can see how you could feel that the use of 'feature' could have been misleading. our use of 'feature' were people we included in the book that had personal involvement with the project. there are no interviews in this book, and the secions with kaws/futura/reas are more like spotlights. but for simplicity's sake we wrote 'featuring' because we had to describe the contents somehow, and that seemed to make sense. sorry if you were misled.

 

in fact the book wasn't a NY special (not officially anyways). though we have 'nyc' in the url to the site, that's mainly because http://www.aka.com and http://www.alsoknownas.com were taken so we had to switch it up somehow. i couldn't think of anything clever, so at the last moment we decided on http://www.akanyc.com because we had to register something. as far as the NY content to the book, i've heard more criticisms about how i didn't scour the deepest ghetto's in brooklyn/queens/bronx. fact is, i shot what caught my eye while wandering around neighborhoods i frequent. in a perfect world, i'd have a car and a tour guide for each neighborhood, or better yet a crew of photographers at my disposal. but in this case it was mostly me shooting photos and talking to writers i know personally (directly or indirectly) and that was the basis for the content. i'm sure as time goes on i'll have a broader range of resources to work with much like how things grew while doing 12ozProphet Magazine.

 

i'll think about doing all out interviews, but truthfully you probably wont see them from us. the internet made the world much smaller, so discovering kids like wizart and os gemeos, or doing the first in depth feature on someone like twist is getting near impossible. people are just too well connected, so the days of finding amazing talent in some remote place is pretty much over as far as i can tell. though there are a few well known writers that haven't been done much justice in terms of interviews, i hate following in other peoples footsteps when i can otherwise be attempting to blaze new trails myself. i'm still sort of on the fence about this though, so who knows... truthfully we had an oldschool insides section planned that got dropped for this very same reason. hip hop files had recently dropped and martha cooper did sucha great job with all the old school stuff, that it seemed like a waste to go in that direction even if we had some exclusive material we could have shown.

 

'truck designers' section was indeed out of place. i still like it though. this section, as well as a other decisions, were out of place because this is the first volume of a series and we haven't published in quite some time. from my experience of doing 12oz, it takes a couple issues before a project really finds it's identity and then hits its stride. with 12oz, i feel this happened with issue 3. with AKA, i feel like we have a better idea of where we want to go now that the first volume is done, but it'll probably still take a couple books before the projects personality really becomes entrenched. not that we have the first volume under our belt, there's a clear reference point. as we start volume 2 we'll review what worked, what didn't and try and push volume 2 further beyond our accomplishments with the first volume.

 

again, i appreciate intelligent criticism and do take the time to consider what people have to say whether i agree or not, or whether it's positive or not. i can say that i'm my own harshest critic at the end of the day, but at the same time, this project will always remain a reflection of where my head is at. it'd be pretty easy to figure out the formula for what would satisfy 'most' people, and put together a 'good enough' product to sell them. however, i take a more personal approach to things and this shit takes way too much effort for me to not treat it that way. hopefully, in the end it shows and hopefully it's still something most people can appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raven, thanks for responding to me.

 

I think we can chalk up most of my complaints to a difference in taste and leave it at that.

 

I would just encourage you to think of an in depth interview as less of "discovering" someone, and more of delivering fresh insights into them, whoever they are.

 

MaximumRockandRoll had an pretty good in-depth Twist interview 3 years (March 1993) before the 12oz one came out, but yours had a totally different feel since it came from inside the graff scene. It was good because there was a great discussion that took place, not because you were there first.

 

(For the record, I have been picking up 12oz since issue 1 and you guys HAVE come a long long way! I'm just letting you know what I want to see from you folks...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe a dude from Australia got the book faster than me.

 

And those are some good posts above. I'm even more hyped to get this book now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Weapon X@Dec 13 2005, 06:20 PM

I can't believe a dude from Australia got the book faster than me.

 

And those are some good posts above. I'm even more hyped to get this book now.

 

have you tracked it? if you look in your account > order history there's a tool to track packages. unless your international. doesnt work for those packages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm international. And a lot closer than Australia. But it's Christmas time, so I'm not surprised if it's taking longer than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ nvm...it was waiting for me in the mailbox.

 

First impression - nevermind that I was apprehensive about getting the gold because it didn't look that good...cuz it looks beautiful. Those pictures people have posted really don't do any justice to the look of the book.

 

*unfortunately, I have to go see King Kong in a bit, so it's gonna be late night reading for me tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Misteraven@Dec 13 2005, 08:03 PM

 

i'll think about doing all out interviews, but truthfully you probably wont see them from us. the internet made the world much smaller, so discovering kids like wizart and os gemeos, or doing the first in depth feature on someone like twist is getting near impossible. people are just too well connected, so the days of finding amazing talent in some remote place is pretty much over as far as i can tell. though there are a few well known writers that haven't been done much justice in terms of interviews, i hate following in other peoples footsteps when i can otherwise be attempting to blaze new trails myself. i'm still sort of on the fence about this though, so who knows... truthfully we had an oldschool insides section planned that got dropped for this very same reason. hip hop files had recently dropped and martha cooper did sucha great job with all the old school stuff, that it seemed like a waste to go in that direction even if we had some exclusive material we could have shown.

 

 

 

 

 

I know you want to produce something original in the realm of printed graffiti books, but I'd have to agree that I was hoping for a lot more text to provide more insight than pictures could. There was a book called Graffito that was a pretty widespread release covering graffiti from California and they used a technique where they would put quotes from a dozen or so writers speaking on the same topic over a page or two and it gave a great collective point of view. It may not be an original idea but it was very effective and may be a way to integrate voices into future books. Personally, my favorite section was the text by Sonik and while I enjoy the book I do feel disapointed that there was not much that I could spend time digging through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the AKA book. I love the high quality flicks, and the fact that it is so glossy. I can never get enough gloss.

 

I do wish there was more text, but truthfully, this is a great first issue.

 

I like how the grimey bombing is offset with the more highbrow design type stuff, but the trucks thing did feel a little out of place. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are tons of people who disagree.

 

In the end, it comes down to the fact that I can hardly wait for AKA Volume 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. Print Mag then, right?

This is what I get, being in Boston. Periodicals are like 2 weeks behind NYC at the earliest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah...that was it. just got my copy a few days ago. I can't imagine me getting a copy before Boston peeps...seems odd.

 

didn't expect to see a 12 oz prophet reference in Print...kinda took me by surprise. I was just flipping through... checking out the ish, saw the pic of the pichacao and stopped to read it. Two paragraphs in and BLAM...there it was.

 

Cool shit...cool piece. How much of the original did they edit out? if its a lot...I'd like to see the unedited version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...