AKA copies...

misteraven

Raven, thanks for responding to me.

I think we can chalk up most of my complaints to a difference in taste and leave it at that.

I would just encourage you to think of an in depth interview as less of "discovering" someone, and more of delivering fresh insights into them, whoever they are.

MaximumRockandRoll had an pretty good in-depth Twist interview 3 years (March 1993) before the 12oz one came out, but yours had a totally different feel since it came from inside the graff scene. It was good because there was a great discussion that took place, not because you were there first.

(For the record, I have been picking up 12oz since issue 1 and you guys HAVE come a long long way! I'm just letting you know what I want to see from you folks...)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Weapon X@Dec 13 2005, 06:20 PM

I can't believe a dude from Australia got the book faster than me.

And those are some good posts above. I'm even more hyped to get this book now.

have you tracked it? if you look in your account > order history there's a tool to track packages. unless your international. doesnt work for those packages.

^ nvm...it was waiting for me in the mailbox.

First impression - nevermind that I was apprehensive about getting the gold because it didn't look that good...cuz it looks beautiful. Those pictures people have posted really don't do any justice to the look of the book.

*unfortunately, I have to go see King Kong in a bit, so it's gonna be late night reading for me tonight.

Originally posted by Misteraven@Dec 13 2005, 08:03 PM

i'll think about doing all out interviews, but truthfully you probably wont see them from us. the internet made the world much smaller, so discovering kids like wizart and os gemeos, or doing the first in depth feature on someone like twist is getting near impossible. people are just too well connected, so the days of finding amazing talent in some remote place is pretty much over as far as i can tell. though there are a few well known writers that haven't been done much justice in terms of interviews, i hate following in other peoples footsteps when i can otherwise be attempting to blaze new trails myself. i'm still sort of on the fence about this though, so who knows... truthfully we had an oldschool insides section planned that got dropped for this very same reason. hip hop files had recently dropped and martha cooper did sucha great job with all the old school stuff, that it seemed like a waste to go in that direction even if we had some exclusive material we could have shown.

I know you want to produce something original in the realm of printed graffiti books, but I'd have to agree that I was hoping for a lot more text to provide more insight than pictures could. There was a book called Graffito that was a pretty widespread release covering graffiti from California and they used a technique where they would put quotes from a dozen or so writers speaking on the same topic over a page or two and it gave a great collective point of view. It may not be an original idea but it was very effective and may be a way to integrate voices into future books. Personally, my favorite section was the text by Sonik and while I enjoy the book I do feel disapointed that there was not much that I could spend time digging through.

I really like the AKA book. I love the high quality flicks, and the fact that it is so glossy. I can never get enough gloss.

I do wish there was more text, but truthfully, this is a great first issue.

I like how the grimey bombing is offset with the more highbrow design type stuff, but the trucks thing did feel a little out of place. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are tons of people who disagree.

In the end, it comes down to the fact that I can hardly wait for AKA Volume 2.

yeah...that was it. just got my copy a few days ago. I can't imagine me getting a copy before Boston peeps...seems odd.

didn't expect to see a 12 oz prophet reference in Print...kinda took me by surprise. I was just flipping through... checking out the ish, saw the pic of the pichacao and stopped to read it. Two paragraphs in and BLAM...there it was.

Cool shit...cool piece. How much of the original did they edit out? if its a lot...I'd like to see the unedited version.

got my gold copy back in december, it's definitely a book worth having...

i don't even want to peel off any of those stickers in the book, they're too nice.

but i think i enjoyed the private section on the akanyc website more,

or should i say getting a glimpse of the people behind the book and their friends

enhances my appreciation for the book itself.

thanks raven and company.