Rocky Mountin HIGH

MAGS156

:love2: Pot measure wafts to victory

By Alan Gathright, Rocky Mountain News

November 1, 2005

A measure that would legalize adult possession of small amounts of marijuana in Denver was approved by voters Tuesday, following a heated campaign that saw pot backers accused of exploiting residents' fear of crime.

The measure was leading by more than 7,000 votes with just over 100,000 votes counted when the Rocky Mountain News called the contest.

The central theme of Initiative 100, the Alcohol-Marijuana Equalization Initiative, is that adults should have the right to legally choose marijuana, because it's a safer alternative to booze, which supporters argue — citing national and local studies — fuels violence, deadly car wrecks, collegiate binge-drinking and alcoholism.

While other big cities, such at Seattle and Oakland, Calif., have passed laws making adult pot use a low police priority, supporters say passage I-100 would make Denver the first major city to legalize adult possession of 1 ounce or less of marijuana.

The pot-beats-booze battle cry "is the new message in the war against the war on marijuana," said I-100 campaign coordinator, Mason Tvert, a 23-year-old Denver resident vowing to take the crusade nationwide.

But Denver officials said an I-100 amendment of local law would change nothing, because the vast majority of marijuana possession busts — which were a mere 3.2 percent of all city arrests in 2004 — will continue to be prosecuted under state law.

Gene Moffett, a TV cameraman, rejected the initiative voting at a church in his south Denver neighborhood.

"No. I just think that would just open up more cans of worms," he said.

Eighty-year old Republican Lila Fehrer was also wary of the proposal.

"I voted against that. Drugs are just too prominent everywhere," she said. "And to make it legal I think it would get out of hand."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/elec...4203575,00.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

this is a really good thing!! we need more big cities to decriminalizing herb possesion. when will our government realize that cannabis is medicinal and saves lives. obviously the people of our country see that herb is useful not just criminal, by the pure fact that cannabis is become decriminalized in more places in the US. when will they realize that cannabis use is not goin any where and in reality, its only growin in popularity because people are findin out the truth behind ganja. how its helpful, not harmful (if used properly).

free up the herb!!

how are you(the government) gonna tell me i cant grow a plant that Jah has givin me........its not like you have to alter cannabis in anyway...you pick it dry it and smoke it........whats more natural then that??

now all we need is to be able to smoke in public, or at least in designated areas...imagine that shit, going out to eat and bein able to light up a spliff while waitin on your food :) :)

p.s - dont be suprised if you get some shit for postin this in brick slayers, as it has nothing to do with graff at all, i think either crossfire or at least channel zero would be better suited...