Portfolio Talk

slum_one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

..and make sure your people skills are waaaay up to snuff, otherwise

the greatest portfolio in the world won't get you the job if you're a complete dud.

also make sure you get a nice portfolio case, not some bullshittish cheap thing..

personally i try to make the whole thing work together...meaning the portfolio

and the contents i've put inside it are complimentary...remember, this thing is

a communication piece. keep it simple. less is more. and proof the shit out of everything. good luck.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

show 10 strong pieces,

not 20 mediocre ones.

don't forget a copy of a resumé, business card, whatever, to leave behind. or a comp card or SOMETHING! (as long as it's not shite). good luck.

some good advice from POIESIS. You have to complete your self-promo package. A personal website containing your printed pieces is good to have too. Burn your pieces and website to as many cds as possible. Create a business card, resume, cd insert, cd cover, and anything else you want. (not in that order). Devise some convenient packaging for all of these pieces and put together about 30-40 of these self promotions. That way; you have something clean, professional, and accessible to give to potential employers.

just a side note: before you do any of this, Troubleshoot the fuck out of everything. Make sure it is absolutely perfect before you go through all that work.

All good advice so far. But I'll add.....

Show Process!!!

I don't think enough people do this. Employers will hire you for your mind and how it works. I layed out a book filled with scans of thumbnails, messy scribbled on paper, napkins, whatever. It usually ends up being a great conversation piece and allows me a chance to better explain my ideas and thinking. Show them all the critical creative steps in the beginning of the process. Conceptual ability is what can set you apart from the other 300 people applying for the job.

Also I'd say show your work on boards. I know that a lot of people like to show their portfolio in book form these days, but this isn't practical when you're interviewing with 5 people at once. They need something to pass around. Books are great for freelance though!

• 2 weeks later...

make a website.

since most job apps are happening through email,

having a website ready with all your work will compell the employer to look at your shit

right away, instead of taking the time to write to you back,

then set up an appointment etc....

especially if youre not the best writer, when talking about yourself.

make the website short and sweet.

10-15 best works,

ive been told to focus my portfolio towards the field of interest youre most passionate about..

example.. if you want to work in publishing,

have your portfolio filled with print design work,

or if youre into ad, have mostly ad stuff.

in order not to confuse the employer of your objective.

i kind of did that, but added a few different pieces just to show a taste of what else i was into.

the place i work for now, said one of the reasons why i got the job, is because i had a

website ready, while many other applicants didn't...

making less hassle for the employer, and making it easy for them to choose who

to look further into for the position.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...