spyware removal programs

Zack Morris

so I have so far used ad-aware, spybot, and the beta of the windows spyware remover thingy and yet my computer is STILL infected horribly with this shit. I can't seem to get rid of it. The ad-aware and spybot I used were a little older. The microsoft one is supposed to be the best but I can not update it to work on my computer since I have a pirated copy of XP. any advice from our local tech nerds on what to use or how to get around this.....if worse comes to worse I am just going to move all my mp3's videos and pictures and important files onto my external hard drive and just do a full remformat, but that is last resort type shit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Search for a program called hijackthis. A lot of the spyware shit requires a reboot in safe mode and manual deletion of everything related to it.

The real solution is to turn up the security settings in internet explorer if you're still using it and quit cliking YES on everything that pops up. I never had spyware on my computer using IE constantly because I never installed anything from websites I didn't trust.

hijackthis requires a lot of reading of the logs and knowing what is supposed to be installed and what isn't. There is also a piece of software called Pocket Killbox

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php

That will allow you to delete files that windows claims are in use, or that you cannot delete otherwise. Use it with caution on shit you find in hijackthis, just try not to delete anything you need.

start > run > msconfig

anything looking shifty gets itself unticked - Then on reboot it willnot load said shifty apps.

hijack this is a goodun but as said above it does require a little sifting through - generally you cna use the same rule as msconfig - if you dont remember installing it and it doesnt look usefull then bin it.

if the spyware keeps coming back, you could have some virus, or trojan or something like that, whatever it is it's bad. i would try to get a copy of symantec antivirus(i think it's like $30 at walmart, or just get a bootleg), reboot the computer in safe mode, and run the antivirus thing. then reboot the computer in your regular mode. i think that's how you do it. if it's still bad, it's last resort time.

and for a little something do that start>run>msconfig>startup that drsev said. Uncheck anything that you feel you don't need the computer to run when it's on.

there is a program called spyware doctor that i have used in the past. It has worked pretty good for me.

I have used it on about four different computers, it finds hundreds of spyware apps on my family member's computers (they are the kind of people who open up email attachments from strangers and, actually believe some guy from Nigeria wants to give them a lot of money)

and it usally just finds one or two on mine and maybe a few tracking cookies, so I would say it is consistent.

you can download it for free and then get a crack for it on one of the P2P sites.

Multilayered defense is best.

Just poke around a site like webattack and experiment. That's what I've been doing. My current security configuration has kept me absolutely free of all types of malware for almost a year now. Usually if I find something I would have reformatted by now, but I haven't...

What I have found is that smaller security companies have better products usually and almost always are more secure than a larger firms products. This is because smaller proggies usually start out as open source, so they get infinite upgrades and tweaks, and they are more secure because the vast majority of crackers are not writing backdoors and loopholes for those programs, but the big names. See where I'm going with this?

I actually have about 15 to 20 different security programs on my computer right now.... haha.... Spyware prevention, spyware scanning and removal, firewall, privacy protection, anonymous surfing options, antivirus, dedicated trojan scanner (this is actually important, alot of antivirus proggies don't scan for trojans and worms), registry monitor and scanner, port scanners, enhanced task managing, traceroutes, shit.... i don't even know what some of this stuff is. But I read the book Maximum Security so I've got a pretty good idea.

But anyways, probably preventing this stuff from accessing your computer in the first place is the most important thing you can do. I've been using Ghostsurf for a while and it's pretty good for that. They can't attack what they can't see. It can really kill your functionality though. Usually I set the security pretty high and then just allow what I need to as I go along. Another useful preventative tool I've found is Sygate Personal Firewall. This sucker alerts me to all incoming and outgoing connections and I have it prompt me whether I want to allow it or not. It's kinda annoying at first but you get used to it. And you can always allow certain types of connections, always block others, and always prompt with yet others. You wouldn't believe all the different port connections and different protocols websites will try to throw at you to gain access to your computer. Just bumming around myspace I get alot. Probably from some of the ads they have in there, and maybe embedded in some of the pictures, videos, and songs people slap all over the place without thinking about it. Some really strange stuff.... strange, strange protocols. I've also been very satisfied with avast! antivirus. Like I said, it's a smaller name AND it's more functional even. The live scanner doesn't just scan webpages either, but also IMs, webmail, your outlook/exchange, even P2P... I love it. haha....

Yo but those are excellent programs. I could tell you a bunch more but this post is long as fuck already.

sarahyouloose ... ive seen a dialup hijacker that changes your access number to a over-seas number... they give you the access and at the end of the month you also get a thousand dollar 900 number phone bill. :haha:

and the fucker doesnt go away easy... even microsofts beta will find and remove, but it will keep showing up even after safe-mode. you need to track it down in program files and send it to the the bin of death ... otherwise you need to enter your access number every time you dial out.

that is one of the worst add-wares ive ever seen.. and its for dialup.