Jack Thompson vs Penny Arcade+gamerdom

Spike

A mildly disjointed crashcourse in the situation

Quick rundown for those who don't feel like reading much

1. Jack Thompson, part-time attorney, full-time asshole, has a bone to pick with the gaming industry over violence, sex and all the other stuff that holier-than-thou people tend to have

2. Jack Thompson mouths off. A lot. A lot a lot. Picks fights with a lot of people

3. Jack Thompson makes a proposal for a violent video game - if anyone can execute it, he will donate $10,000 to a charity of Paul Eibeler's (the Chairman of Take-Two Interactive) (GTA's publishers, I believe) choice

4. The game is produced by a bunch of dedicated and humourous gamers

5. $10,000 fails to materialise

6. Penny Arcade (who have locked horns with Jack Thompson several times) decide that just to show the asshole up, they're gonna make that $10,000 donation. To charity. In his name

And that, kids, is how to completely humiliate someone who's already managed to humiliate himself into the gutter. Penny Arcade has already raised a fuckload of money for charity through their ChildsPlay drive, and here they are donating yet more money to a good cause AND totally winning at the same time

Interesting stuff

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

how is he humiliated in the gutter? he scammed a bunch of guys into believing he would pay for a charity, the game gets made, he doesnt pay, and instead someone makes the donation for him. If that was me id be pretty happy, not only do i keep my 10,000 dollars but a generous contribution is made in my name...

life is well.

If you can explain something that im not understanding here i would gladly appreciate it.

He is/has been fighting an all out battle against the distribution and (questionable) effects of violent and sexually explicit videogames from a "moral high ground" standpoint: he often slings out blanket insults at gamers, essentially branding them as immoral slackers who do nothing for anyone, ever

When trying to attack like that, your reputation and integrity is a big part of your arsenal - it shows him up that he didn't come through with money that he promised (to a goddamn charity, of all things!) and he has been shown up by, of all people, two of the biggest gaming geeks on the face of the earth

The fact that the donation was made in his name was just Penny Arcade's ironic sense of humour - everyone -knows- he wasn't responsible for it, they're just showing him up

Iunno, I guess I might just have a different understanding of it since I've been following it all kinda closely

It takes a certain kind of humor to understand the full impact of Jack Thompson's humiliation.

Number one: He's a dickhead who has only his personal gain at heart, so the mere thought of him donating any amount of money to any worthwhile charity is hilarious.

Number two: The very people he despises have made a big-ass donation in his name.

Number three: EVERYONE in the gaming world knows that pompous prick didn't make the donation.

It's a complicated and expensively silly way to say: YOU FUCKING LOSE, YOU STUPID, STUPID HICK! I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION! YOUR MOTHER WAS A HAMSTER, AND YOUR FATHER SMELT OF ELDERBERRIES!

We were talking about this at work tonight. In order to become a lawyer, a person must beat a child of no greater than 6 years old to death in front of its mother, then sue her for causing him grief by crying.

In order to be a partner in a law firm, the lawyer must constantly slaughter and molest children and distill and drink their souls.