Spray safe!

Guest Ouija

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was painting this pretty isolated spot and i forgot to bring my mask so i was down there for about an and hour and a half and after an hour i started to feel dizzy and lightheaded at times. then after i noticed tiny bumps on the inside of my lip. anyone got the scoop on this sideeffect?

instead of blowing through caps to clear them after painting, or having to drop em in paint thinner, just put the cap on an empty can and spray it. doin this will save you from getting your mouth on a cap or using thinner which is pretty harsh.

After hearing all these horror stories i'm kinda spooked,

i may sound paranoid and what not but i've only benn writing for a few months maybe around 8-9months. During the majority of my time writing i've have not been sing a mask or gloves. I recently just bought a mask and a pack of gloves. I know i may sound paranoid and worried (partially because i am), but do u think i'll develop any health problems?

Most of the writers in the city i live in dont wear masks, but i was a bit skeptical and bought one, i now use it religiously and am gonna start wearing gloves.

Thanks for all the info, it was very informative.

keep painting everyone

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by johndoe

in the new style wars dvd iz the wiz explained how in 1995 or whatever how his kidney was all fucked up from breathing the paint fumes and other stuff. he had to be fed intervenously for a while.

yet did you notice he did a peice wearing nothing but a fucking peice of cloth over his face? he aint getting my sympathy.

Bump cuz this is a reely important topic.I was lucky to have a cousin whos a painter so I knew all about the damage fumes could do from the start so kids go to ur local hardware store and rack a mask (buying is for pussies). And as far as gloves go thats jus a no brainer...The best place to get them if your still in school is after the final bell rings go to one of the janitors closets(they'll all be open after school) and jus gank one of the big boxes of gloves, most likely they'll have the 100 packs layin around..Then your all set to reck shit safely...Have fun

hey i gotta question, i dont find myself painting in closed areas that much, but im still really concerned and aware about my body. im not cool with all the physical damage paint can cause, but, i dont really like the idea of spending 20 bones on a respirator. i do wear a bandana around my face (like old bank robbers and cowboys, ya know?). I really wanna know if it filters anything. i know its not fumeproof but its better than nothing. thanks alot, experience writers advice perfered. cool. more paint. less talk. one love.

=good thread too.

page 5 ;)

the thing is, once you spend 20 bucks on a mask, you don't ever have to put money into the thing again (well, besides buying new filters). if you have a job, it really shouldn't be any problem. bandannas really don't serve much purpose besides disguising you, as the toxic vapors can easily get through one.

im not sure if this has been askd allready, if so i appologize.

but lets say im out in the open...like painting on a semi-truck trailer thing... and i dont smell paint or anything... or if i do, i smell very little, should i still worry about a mask?? indoors is a must, ive done it indoors and my boogers turn colors and its kind of terrifying, wondering what my lungs look like..

ANYWAYS, if you could please help me out with my question that would be very much apreciated. thanks.

nobody knows for sure exactly how much paint it takes to cause all the harm, so i would just play it safe, i mean if you havet had any paint hangovers or gotten really dizzy from it before, i dont think it'd hurt, but if you think you've had one too mnay experiences without a mask, i wouldnt fuck around and just wear something.

when i started i never wore one, went a good 4 5 months of hitting freights on a regular basis, most of the time getting a soar throat, body aching, being hungry, etc... i started wearing a little 3m dust mask, and it helped somewhat, but not much, i recently aqcuired a 3m half mask and stocked up on like 6 extra filter/cartridge packages, i haven't peiced a freight without it since. I love the idea of painting a freight and not getting dizzy and a soar throat afterword, but that's just because i went so long without it. so yeah, don't take your chances.

• 3 weeks later...

there may also be paints that your unique body may not like. for example when a use a certain brand of black i get an extemely light head and start to throw up. dust masks are pointless,they stop paint particles but none of the vapours.

catchya

What kind?

I've looked through this thread, and I can't find anything saying specific brand/model/whatever.

Does anyone have a favourite mask? I'm not heading out again till I get at least a mask, probably snag some gloves while I'm at it, but I don't know what kind to look for.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

YOU MIGHT AS WELL USE GLOVES ANYWAY TO AVOID BEING BUSTED FOR LOOKING LIKE AN ART STUDENT.. USUALLY GRAF ARTISTS HAVE ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT BY USING OTHE SUBSTANCES WHICH MAY VARY..IT REALLY MAKES ME WANT TO GET A MASK..COLOR BUGERS MAY LOOK COOL BUT YOUR NASAL CAVITY IS LESS THAN AN INCH FROM YOUR BRAIN

• 1 month later...

Archived