Spray safe!

Guest Ouija

Originally posted by --zeSto--

so roof-tops and frieghts are out.

seriously though, They're are real risks involved (more than just the police).

I dont think I'm willing to die for the throwup over the freeway.

Just make sure to plan safely, and work your way up to things.

There's a reason why some rooftops aren't open to traffic.

Cellings have canved in and rusted metal lurks almost everywhere.

The older the building, the greater the risk.

Even storm drains and gulleys could be the end of it.

It's very important to play safe.

if u were really dedicated u would be willing to die for it....but me myself nope...whoze?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks very much for the advice Hal, I'm pretty sure it's tendonitis but I'll ask my super duper physiotherapist roommate. Her advice little arm exercises: basically get a couple cans of soup and do little arm crunches to strengthen the tendons. I feel pretty silly doing them but sure beats not getting up.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so i never come into the yard, mainly because im like almost every other writer out there, i hate educating the youth, i learned alot of shit the hard way, and its not like me to really preach or teach about graffiti, lifestyle or techniques....

But, i have been writing for a good while now, i have not used a mask up until the last year.(unfortunatly for me, this last year in college was fucking brutal, so i didnt get out that much)...

Not using a mask has prolly been one of my bigger regrets in life i think...i think its done more harm to my body than smoking up has, and i do it rarely...during my senior year of highschool, i found it increasingly harder for me to make full sentences with my words in order. I work for a painting contractor and i have been spraying the insides of houses since i was young (this was mixed with my love for graffiti), i never wore a mask then. Back then i thought it was the coolest thing to shoot different colored boogers out your nose...now its not so cool. I do stutter alot, i forget peoples names and many other things that happen to me easily, not to mention that my attention span has narrowed to about 3 min, and the words in my sentences get re-aranged. Im really not sure if its from the fumes and shit, but im willing to bet it is.....wear a mask gentlemen, its definatly worth the cost.

About gloves and masks, they are pretty much mandatory anyway, because as other people have said, apart from the health benefits, you have a far lesser chance of getting clocked if you're masked and gloved up.

Here in London there's CCTV cameras everywhere, and the Graffiti Squad really do take the fucking piss with evidence gathering via fingerprints and DNA and shit. They must well love their job or something.

In London Underground tube yards there's now motion and pressure sensors, laser trips, and even strategically-placed razor wire to gather DNA (not sure about the legality of that, but it's there). All that and 24-hour CCTV attendants with cameras everywhere, you can see how masks and gloves will aid in your missions.

And about tendon and arm strain, yeah, I get it all the time after a good painting session. Sometimes the tip of my index finger goes numb for days due to constant pressure by pressing on the cap, and sometimes, whilst out drinking and attempting to pick up a glass, I get a massive shooting pain right up my whole arm, and for a few hours I can't pick things up and am in a lot of pain.

I've started doing arm exercises with weights and these have helped, but I still get massive muscle and tendon stress and fatigue after long painting sessions.

I'm going to have to devise a way of distributing the pressure of the cap on the index fingertip as well, as I can't stand it always being numb. It is interfering with my love life too, if you get what I mean... :crazy:

Anway, hope that helps, and hope all you bredren start doing arm exercises too.

Safe.

not much to add but i dig the thread.....ya paint can be a bitch...whenever i go out without my resperator i come back with a hella sore throat. evin if u dont spend the dough go out and get a paqrtical mask from the local dollar store...it wont protect u from the chemicials soo much but is better than nouthing.....ps...after years of painting without masks many wrighters have experenced hair loss so there is some insentative to go get one

Here's some links to respirator information, to help you learn about and select the proper mask.

CDC (scroll down to respirator selection)

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/respinfo.html

OSHA selection guide...

http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/respiratory_a..._selection.html

Respirator Selection specific to painting

http://www.paintstore.com/archives/respira...rators/108.html

(excerpt)

Gases and vapors pose the most common respiratory hazard in painting. Prominent in this rogues' gallery are organic vapors, which typically emanate from paint solvents. An initial whiff of organic vapors might not faze you, but 20 years of the stuff can lead to a brain disorder called chronic painter's syndrome. If it doesn't kill you outright, the disorder can leave you impotent, paralyzed, or psychotic.

Online respirator retailers....

http://www.leonardsafety.com/leonardsafety...EN/catalog/1103

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/catsafe.asp...GEN9=0&s=1S2RES

Many manufacturers produce a respirator suitable for paint particles and organic vapors. My suggestion for buying one is to get one that you can find replacement cartridges for easily. Home Depot carries a 3M mask, but the replacement cartridges are very expensive. Sears, and many other smaller Hardware stores sell Aearo AOSafety masks. The replacement cartridges are slightly less expensive, but heavy. All brands that meet organic vapor filtration standards are fine.

I just told my mum all about the shit that can happen to me if I don't wear a mask so she agreed on buying me one. One of my friends just "borrowed" a good mask from his school. If your still at school most wood, metal and design department should have heaps of them, You can save $30. I have noticed that my short term memory is getting really fucked. I never use a mask or gloves so this could contribute. I'm also not any where near as fit as I used to be. I don't know about bombing with a respirator. For tags and throws it seems tedious. Thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...
Guest montanaman

im glad to see theres still some sort of descencie among artist , i kno we have our beef among one another but when it comes to your health im sure we all agree about this post im glad to see this ... i just started to use a mask a year ago ... but a year too late some of the damage had started taking affect from all those years of painting with out a mask... i had finished a prodo with the crew and i was on my way home i told my girl to stop and get me some asparines at the corner store on our way home.. i had this masive headache.... i chugged them down with some gatoraid.. but as i was blowing my nose i felt my left side of my upper lip was going numb and i looked down at the floor and in the next ten minutes my left side off my face went numb it was like if i just got out of the dentist office and i was still under the anastigia ...little to say i was in the local hosp. emergency room .. the doctor called it (bellspausy)he said its just happens so i mentioned i had just finished doing a major prodo. and i was not using a mask and he looked at me with discused... and said if this is the case,, then its not bellspausy he said. i would be like this for at least 3 to 5 months ...needless to say fellas used the fukin mask... i couldnt speak right i felt like a retard i couldnt close my left eye i had to sleep with a patch on my eye and put eye drops in it every 15 min..i lost all facial movement on my left side its been six months and im finally been able to whistle cause even that i couldnt shape my lips in to th o shape to whistle this is serious fellas use a mask i had to use a straw to drink my mornin coffee and get this you also lose your taste buds everything is sour....so from now on im using it ...im using the mask..i look at those that dont ..and i try to teach them the right way... i wish we had this out a few years back this might not had happened .....thanx for this post u might save a few nuckle heads out there piece....

Guest Daddy_Screw

reading this shit has made me really paranoid, i've noticed my short term memory has really been fucked recently and my attention span is getting shorter.

At first i thought it was cos of the weed but after reading this, i've just realised how i've only used those small surgical masks a couple of times, and i'm starting to ask my self whether i'm addicted to the fumes or not.

FUCK!

thanx for the info

• 3 weeks later...

when i first started painting i never used a mask even if i was painting inbetween lines never wore a mask......well i started getting headaches not all the time just every now and then but as i kept painting without a mask the headaches got worse and came more frequently.....so i went out and got a mask cause well i never got headaches really before i started painting now that i wear my mask everytime i paint headaches dont accure as often...i still have trouble remebering shit but theres nothing i can do about that now......paint fumes are some serious shit wear that mask....

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Rym'N Simon

i was just wondering........if ur out bombing should you still wear one or least one of those little ones...gloves are must always...cant let ur parents see that paint on your hands n saftey reasons too

when i go out paint i always were a mask. i mean if your just bombing then i really dont think it matters but wearing one does make it more open if your busted by someone.

Originally posted by Ouija

This is an important topic for beginners, since it addresses your health and how to protect yourself from the chemicals used in paint, markers, and other graffiti tools.

The most important thing is inhalation. Paint, as well as ink, contains chemicals that can cause nerve damage, cancer, brain damage, kidney problems, and tons of other shitty things. The most straightforward way to protect yourself from fumes is to wear a respirator. A respirator is basically a gas mask that covers just your mouth and nose, with a head strap so you can keep you hands free. Respirators are sold pretty much anywhere that sells paint, or has an extensive paint department. Places like local hardware/paint stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Eagle and Sears have them. Most of the time they're in the paint department, and run between $25-$40 (US). It's sounds like a lot, but dude, I'd rather dish out $40, and get replacement cartridges every so often, than have uncontrollable facial tics, a loose bladder, and renal failure when I'm 45. Make sure the mask filters out paint vapors and is NIOSH/OSHA certified/approved. Read the instructions, because this is the rest of your life you're talking about. Change your cartridges, because the mask is no good when the filters are done.

In addition to inhaling fumes, paint can soak into your skin and cause the same problems as inhaling the vapors. Your fingers might look cool after a night of painting, but it's a smarter idea to wear latex gloves, for a variety of reasons. A big box of 100 gloves is only a few bucks, and you can get them in the paint section of most department stores, supermarkets (where they keep cleansers and cleaning supplies), and pharmacies. You could even ask your doctor next time you have a check-up if you can get a box. I don't see why they'd say no when you explain you want to keep toxic chemicals off your hands. (I never tried it, I usually just grab a handful when they leave, but it's worth a shot)

You can also help prevent paint and ink from absorbing into your skin by staying hydrated. Drink water before and after you paint, and you won't get that tired assed-out feeling you sometimes get after a night on the town.

Check www.graffiti.org for detailed information on health and painting. They have a whole section devoted to real scientific information concerning the chemicals involved with spray paint, how to avoid exposure, and keeping yourself from becoming a drooling slob with incontinence.

no 1 wants to die young listen to the man..:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok here is my experience before i wore mask i would get the colored boogers to and my eye would twitch and for sure it was due to the paint and as for the hand hurting i use this thing that fits on to the can with a trigger that spray s for you really helpfull especially when filling in a peice some other writers looka t me weird for using it but while im easily painting theyre resting their hand..ha...anyway the mask i used cost around 25 bucks it works ok but i think i need to change out the filter and i use powderless latex gloves from walmart 50 for under 5 bucks so get these thing fellas even you have to steal them they are well worth it...

Originally posted by alkaline

I originally posted this in a glove thread that Daze One Million started in June. It’s long, I know, but it’s very important that everyone is aware of this. If this helps even one person, then this post will have been worth my time.

This post may have been worth your time but not mine. Damn nigger write a book or sumfin. I understand that youre trying to drop the info and shit but dont hog the thread, killer. NO BEEF INTENDED. Have a bitchin' day:crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

ive been painting for a year now. u wudnt beleave what has happened to me so far. my penis fell off. my ears and eyes are bleeding nonstop especially during school. both of my thumbs have exploded(once during church and the other while masterbating.) i still paint cause my friends tell me to and they always tellme that im ther e friend but i think ther just pulling my leg. the doctor told me that i would bee suffering from shrunken eyeballs in the near future but i dont believe him. paint on brothas!

I dont get headaches, but i have urination prolems. It just wont stop dripping. My bladder seems weaker also. Nothing serious, but a pain in my arse. I try to wear a mask as much as possible, but damn I love that spraypaint smell and buzz. Besides, sometimes I think dying youg wouldnt be so bad.

Racking a mask is probably one of the most important things I've ever done, Not wearing it unless I'm doing a permission wall most likely isnt. It's true that masks are a pain in the ass, especially if you got a heavy one with metal filters or when they begin to drip with wetness inside, but after reading this thread I'm thankful I already have a mask because I know if i didnt I'd continue painting until I could get one, regardless. After time everyone will begin to see the side-effects or inhaling paint, I get bloody noses after almost every session, and its starting to freak me out a little. If you want to be smart about it--- GET A MASK !

ROMA _AX_cReW

• 1 month later...

I started feeling fucked for a couple of months ago..

Mostly when painting in long subwaytunnels.. afterwards I get a dry feeling in my loungs, almost like when smoking weed but not as much and in the loungs. Then when you caugh you caugh like you would be sick with something.. sorry for my bad english but iam trying to find the word for pain in your throat.. :)

Then yesterday when I was mixing paint and testspraying it(indores) I got the incredable headek I never got before so I opend all windows and put my mask on.

well anyways.. I got a mask that covers my nose and mouth for $15...

All you SWEDISH people... can get it at JULA for 149sek (also check www.jula.se) Ask for "Halvmask med dubbla filter" and "A1 filter för organiska ångor" The filters are brown and already on it when you buy it.

Its a Climax if anyone knows the name.. I sure never heard of it before..

(dont try www.climax.com, I did it and got thousands of XXX windows popping up my face.. just a second ago.. hard to get them away if you want the away:))

Here is a pic of my mask:

http://www.jula.se/img/bilder_650/540018_c.jpg

(its not me:) its a pic from the store:))

PLEASE DO NOT USE ONE OF THESE MASKS!!!

http://www.jula.se/img/bilder_650/540009_c.jpg

They dont help against the dangerous shit in paint. They make it worse... how?

When you wear it you will after a while start breading deaper than normal because you cant as normally to get as much oxy as you are used to... so you just bread the gas longer down your loungs.

PS. Xylene(XI or what they write on the cans)(used in many cans)

XYLENE GIVES CANCER! (and also great ghosts when used in ink:))

L&G has some kind of cans with oxygen in them..

http://montana.anymotion.de/de/home.cfm?p=...FTOKEN=87466092

If you are worried get one and if you get breading problems... use it.

They got it with 2L and 5L of pure oxygen(so they say). The cans are not big..(not as 2L or 5L of wather)..

• 2 weeks later...

i read further up about some one getting a soar throught ive experienced that too and dont ever drink and paint i was chillen at a legal spot one time just kickin back drinkin and paintin for an entire day I got home and was throwing up clear liqued it felt like i was really drunk bout i only had one six pack for the entire day so i have come to the conclusion that paint and beer dont mix:spent:

Archived