Fear and Loathing

Milton

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by SF1@Oct 15 2005, 05:18 PM

Wait a minute... That shit was a true story??? :huh2:

well yes and no.

it really happened over two different weeks. thompson went to the mint 500 and then

when he had to return to vegas for the drug convention he just called his attorney and asked

if he wanted to do it again. Fear and loathing is based on a trip hunter s thompson took to vegas

but isn't actually a true story, although alot of the shit in the book really did happen. i read somewhere that when he was writing the book he would look through shoeboxes of notes and napkins he wrote on on his trip and said half the shit he did was just completley unprintable it was so outlandish.

I have attempted to watch this movie about 10 times, but I have never seen the whole thing. About halfway thu, I am usually so fucked up I haev to stop it because it gets too out of control.

Books are always better than movies, because whatever you can imagine in your head will always be more grandiose than what you can watch on a screen.

BTW, my fave book/movie adaption is "One flew over the Cuckoo's nest"

Somewhere in The Great Shark Hunt Thompson talks about Fear and Loathing. I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like "No reasonable man could ever write such a monstrosity of a book and claim it to be anything other than fiction".

I don't own a copy of that book so if anybody does and would post an exact version of his quote about that I'd be happy.

There is a real good scene in "where the buffalo roam" where thompson is in an asylum and has the nurse with her blouse unbuttoned "hanging out" in his room. you gotta be a USDA certified Grade-A gangsta' to be institutionalized and still got the game to spit.

pod0221.jpg

Look at hunters clothes... I dont know if they did it for publicity or what, but they even dressed alike. I know Depp was a big fan/friend of Thompson... Thompson even let Depp shave his head with a straight blade razor. And if youve seen other Depp movies, youd see that great minds do think alike. It wasnt too much of a streach for Depp to play Hunter.

Ive allways liked his movies "excluding Crybaby(garbage)." Running the risk of turning this post into a Johnny Depp appreciation post, some good Depp flicks include but are not limited to Sleepy Hollow, Once Upon a Time In Mexico, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Benny & Joon, Blow, Edward Scissorhands, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Donnie Brasco, Pirates, etc.. but by far Fear and Loathing is by far my favorite.

i read that while depp was living with thompson they bought a ton of guns off of the internet. i'm quite sure that up until the day of thompsons death he was using entheogens. i'm very positive that depp does, too.

on a fear and loathing note: in 'in search of sharks" thomspns mentions pissing on dick nixons foot while in a restroom. i think he mentioned it in fear and loathing, too. most likely it was true and he was very proud of it.

Originally posted by Milton@Oct 15 2005, 05:46 AM

I am quite a bit late, no need to tell me.

Johnny Depps god-awful take on Hunter S. Thompson is making me want to hurt myself. Why did they ruin the wonderful book like this?

A few questions related to the book/movie:

1) Do people still use ether?

You could, just say bye bye to your brain prior.

2) Does adrenocrine actually exist?

Yes, however the effects reported in the book are false.

3) Was his attorney actually an attorney?

Yes, his name was Oscar Zeta Acosta and he died shortly after the book was written.

etc.

The movie's chaotic and confusing with little emphasis on what he was actually supposed to be doing in Vegas... which is cool because I imagine this is how Hunter actually percieved it.

The book is more plot-driven and clear about what he's supposed to be doing in Vegas; it makes for a much more cohesive story.

They're both good in their own right. I'm so fucking high on cough syrup.

Originally posted by High Priest+Oct 16 2005, 01:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (High Priest - Oct 16 2005, 01:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Milton@Oct 15 2005, 05:46 AM

1) Do people still use ether?

You could, just say bye bye to your brain prior.

[/b]

It is a common myth that all inhalants cause brain damage. Ether was used safely as an anaesthetic for years before being replaced by safer drugs. The problem with ether was that it forms highly explosive mixtures with the oxygen it needs to be administered with, and can also form explosive peroxides on standing. The only risk it poses to the body is that of liver toxicity. Similarly, nitrous oxide causes no brain damage or otherwise. The only way you could injure yourself with it is by attaching a mask to your face and turning a tank on full blast with no oxygen supply.

The inhalants that damage your brain are things that were never meant to be concentrated and inhaled, like computer duster, toluene, xylene, gasoline, etc...

Originally posted by sarahyoulose@Oct 16 2005, 07:14 PM

depp and thompson were such good friends that he named depp the executor of his remains

ie. its up to depp to shoot him outta cannon.

he did

there was a big article in it in last months issue of rolling stone, John kerry of all people was there to see him off.