U.S. apologizes for Gold Train plunder

GnomeToys

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/11/gold.train.ap/index.html

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- The U.S. government issued a statement of regret Tuesday for the actions of soldiers who took valuables belonging to Hungarian Jews that had been seized on a Nazi "Gold Train" during the chaotic end of World War II.

The statement issued by the U.S. Justice Department said that the government "regrets the improper conduct of certain of its military personnel" who took items that had been on the train, which was carrying jewelry, gold, artwork, Oriental rugs, china, cutlery, linens and other items.

"The United States has concluded that, although the conduct of its personnel was appropriate in most respects, it was contrary to U.S. policy and the standards expected of its soldiers" in some actions, the Justice Department statement said.

The apology was required as part of a settlement approved September 26 by a federal judge in Miami between the U.S. government and about 62,000 Hungarian survivors of the Nazi Holocaust. The settlement calls for $25.5 million to be distributed to needy Jews through social service agencies around the world, with the bulk going to those in Israel, Hungary, the United States and Canada.

The "Gold Train" was captured by U.S. soldiers from pro-Nazi Hungarian forces in May 1945. A U.S. investigation found in 1999 that some Army soldiers failed to return items initially "requisitioned" from the train and used in postwar offices, such as rugs, cutlery and even typewriters.

The investigation also concluded that some property was stolen from a warehouse by soldiers. Although some personnel were caught and prosecuted, little of the property was recovered.

The government did hold an auction of remaining items in 1948 to benefit Jewish relief victims after determining that it would be impossible to identify the owners of the Gold Train property and that Hungary's then-communist government would be unlikely to cooperate.

"The United States expresses its sympathy and solidarity with these victims and hopes that the settlement approved by the district court will provide meaningful assistance to those survivors," the Justice Department statement said.

The Bush administration was under bipartisan pressure to settle what was seen as a black mark on the U.S. record in World War II. Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, were among 17 senators who urged a resolution in a letter last year.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Miraculously, over 50 years later, the Jews managed to milk more money out of one of the governments that saved their asses during the holocaust.

At these kind of rates we'll have to turn the entire country over to the Native Americans (who actually deserve it) in order to keep the values fair.

The Jews weren't the only race in history that was opressed, killed, or maligned, yet they're still getting reparations for things, now from people that never really did anythign to them in the first place.

Silly.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm Jewish...but seriously, let's think about this.

Jews loot the US for gold looted by the US from the Nazis who looted the gold from Jews.

Indirectly, the Jews...are looting the Jews.

MAN...You gotta hand it to Israel sometimes.

5814a.jpg

As my main mensch Jackie would say, "That's some chutzpah, right thurrrrr."

one thing i never got is how you could be %of a jew, its not really a genetic trait, i could go out and do the necessary things and become a jew and say im 100%.

Its just a religion.

So when, people say that hitler was 1/4 or whatever the fuck jew, it doesnt really make sense in that if his grandfather was one, then that makes his grandafather the only one. Unless his children decide to follow the faith.

Which brings up another point, the nazis thought that being a jew was a genetic trait and if youthink that hitler was part jewish, youre actually belive in the same idealogy that his followers did.

Sorry for the reamble, just got switched to working nights for this week, and barely wokeup.

Discuss, if you choose.

Are you serious? Yes it's a religion, it's also a genetic race. They intermaried for so many centuries that they became their own race. That's why most Jews look like Jews and have Jewish names. They even have their own language for crying out loud.

Or is that just another one of your misserably failed attempts at sarcasm?

I get the feeling there is one rich TV executive out there who is not only getting ALL 25 million from this case but is also producing The Story of the Gold Train Plunder (tonight after Everybody Loves Raymond) for NBC and the black version for UPN as we speak, which he'll make another 25 million from.

Edit: Also I think my great grandparents were jewish (they both fled germany and looked like jews, but claimed to be non-jewish catholics), so I'm wondering if I can jew some money out of the government for this.

I'm sure there's at least a few...I'm not one of them.

Actually, Cash, the story is weirder than you would think...maybe one day I'll break it down. There's the Hebrews, and there's Judaism...and, since I'm not heavy on the semiotics, I say "Jew" and assume that we're all on the same page.

The theory goes, if you have Jewish ancestry on your mother's side, you're in. Kind of like being black, accordigto some...and for all I know, there's a brotha somewhere back in the family tree, too. I don't plan to convert to Judaism, I was raised Catholic...as was my Italian/Irish girlfriend. I would have a hell of a time explaining my motives, if I were to do so.

Whatever...we're all gonna look like Tiger woods someday...fine with me. A lot of my female biracial friends look gooooood.

A black guy told me today that he went to a synagogue looking to find out more about how he could convert to judaism and the Rabbi told him that he should just stay

a christian and that he is fine just like that, (as a christian).

It blew my mind. But then again, from what I know about judaism, you have to be born into it to be considered a "real" Jew (by the mothers side). So anyway, The best jews are the ones who become muslims, and then , the ones who are not religious. (Ok, Ok, I'm not going to turn this into another debate, Just joking)

Originally posted by Dawood@Oct 13 2005, 12:48 PM

A black guy told me today that he went to a synagogue looking to find out more about how he could convert to judaism and the Rabbi told him that he should just stay

a christian and that he is fine just like that, (as a christian).

It blew my mind. But then again, from what I know about judaism, you have to be born into it to be considered a "real" Jew (by the mothers side). So anyway, The best jews are the ones who become muslims, and then , the ones who are not religious. (Ok, Ok, I'm not going to turn this into another debate, Just joking)

why dont you join the nation of islam and stop posting the same shit in every thread?