NOPD officers filmed beating 64-y.o. man

saraday

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.

Why does that even get thrown into the article? I mean shit, its horrible enough they just clearly beat the shit out of this man for no real reason, but then throw that in there just to mix it up a little more?

Because racially motivated police brutality has been a hot button issue in this country before and will continue to be highlighted whenever the cops and the person on the other end of the nightstick are of differeing races..Though the media builds its stories around sensationalism..this is something that needs attention brought to it, so it isn't just accepted

Originally posted by WhiteOx@Oct 11 2005, 02:10 PM

On another note, FUck am I glad they actually train and filter cops over here. That shit really helps

They do that? I been saying for years that cops should be given attitude tests to filter out the dickheads. Unfortunately in the US that's all they hire is the dickheads and they actually train them to be worse. The shit they did to the old man is exactly how they do every day across the country, then they turn around and charge the victim with assulting the cops and resiting etc. Only because the AP filmed it they might actually go down for it this time.

And yeah, rent a cops are security guards.

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Oct 11 2005, 03:02 AM

he shouldnt have struggled

Justice Department Probes New Orleans Beating

Retired Schoolteacher Disputes Police Report of Drinking

By RACHEL LA CORTE, AP

NEW ORLEANS (Oct. 11) - A retired elementary teacher who was repeatedly punched in the head by police in an incident caught on videotape said Monday he was not drunk, put up no resistance and was baffled by what happened.

Robert Davis said he had returned to New Orleans to check on property his family owns in the storm-ravaged city, and was out looking to buy cigarettes when he was beaten and arrested Saturday night in the French Quarter.

Police have alleged that the 64-year-old Davis was publicly intoxicated, a charge he strongly denied as he stood on the street corner where the incident played out Saturday.

"I haven't had a drink in 25 years," Davis said. He had stitches beneath his left eye, a bandage on his left hand and complained of soreness in his back and aches in his left shoulder.

A federal civil rights investigation was begun in the case. Davis is black; the three city police officers seen on the tape are white.

But Davis, his attorney and police spokesman Marlon Defillo all said they do not believe race was an issue.

"He does not see it as a racial thing," said Davis' lawyer, Joseph Bruno.

Two city officers accused in the beating, and a third officer accused of grabbing and shoving an Associated Press Television News producer who helped document the confrontation, pleaded not guilty Monday to battery charges.

First Person

''I didn't do anything. I was going to get a pack of cigarettes and taking my evening constitutional.''

-- Robert Davis, describing the night he was beaten by New Orleans police

1/3

Sources: AP, CNN

Trial was set at a hearing Monday for Jan. 11. Afterward, officers Lance Schilling, Robert Evangelist and S.M. Smith were released on bond. They left without commenting.

Police Superintendent Warren Riley said any misconduct would be dealt with swiftly. He noted the video showed "a portion of that incident."

"The actions that were observed on this video are certainly unacceptable by this department," Riley said.

Two other officials in the video appeared to be federal officers, according to police. Numerous agencies have sent officers to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina.

Stephen Kodak, an FBI spokesman in Washington, said none of its agents had been disciplined. He said the FBI was taking part in the Justice Department's civil rights probe.

Davis said he had been walking in the French Quarter and approached a mounted police officer to ask about the curfew in the city when another officer interrupted.

"This other guy interfered and I said he shouldn't," Davis said. "I started to cross the street and -- bam -- I got it. ... All I know is this guy attacked me and said, `I will kick your ass,' and they proceeded to do it."

He said he did not know why the punches were thrown.

The confrontation came as the New Orleans Police Department -- long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption -- struggles with the aftermath of Katrina.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting Davis at least four times in the head outside a bar. Davis twisted and flailed as he was dragged to the ground by several officers. Davis's lawyer said his client did not resist.

"I don't think that when a person is getting beat up there's a whole lot of thought. It's survival. You don't have a whole lot of time to think when you're being pummeled," Bruno said.

Davis was kneed and pushed to the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter. The officers accused of striking Davis were identified as Schilling and Evangelist.

Mayor Ray Nagin said, "I don't know what the gentleman did, but whatever he did, he didn't deserve what I saw on tape."

During the arrest, another officer, identified as Smith, ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and a cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

Police said Davis was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation.

The head of the New Orleans police union said the officers told him they had acted appropriately.

"They feel they were justified in their actions and they were using the amount of force necessary to overcome the situation," Lt. David Benelli told WDSU in New Orleans.

APTN and Associated Press Writer Ross Sneyd contributed to this story.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Oct 11 2005, 05:43 PM

i just saw this story on the news, i mean, what they did was wrong, but these cops down there have stresses after katrina that other law enforcement offices around the country dont have at the moment. but yeah, still wrong...

I regret never going to New Orleans, but one of the main reasons why I never did was that my boy spent some time there and told me that the cops are actually worse than Philly cops. And this is something that happens every day in Philly as well as every city so I doubt "stress" is even a factor. It sure as fuck aint an excuse.

If the AP weren't there this thread wouldn't exsist and the cops would still have their jobs and the old man would still be sitting in a holding cell.

Hey asshole! You can clearly see an oldman being beat the fuck up and jerked and twisted every which way! What the fuck he supposed to do go limp and lay still and let them pussies just break his arms and legs??? You can clearly see that pussy undercover trying to break his ankle and shit.

Fuck you! And you wonder why people think you're a cop???

Choke on a glazed shit donut and die asshole.