IQ TEST

WEAK NIGGUH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Everyone takes an IQ sorta test in grade 3 to see if they are eligible for the gifted program, or the sped program, or whatever. I got put in gifted right after the test and a couple of one on one tests, and they said I did incredibly well.

I've put a lot of TV into my brain since then.

If you've ever scored over 145 on a legit IQ test' date=' you need to show your scores to Stanford for a full ride. [/quote']

Is this legit? and if so, does it apply to grad school?

My Wechsler full scale IQ is 155... 147 on verbal, and 153 on performance.

I'd love a free ride through grad school... shit, I'd love to get a second bachelors if it were free...

I took the test at the start of a research course involved in administering that test and a few Relational Frame Theory tests... (You've got some background in Psych, so that makes sense, right?)

The guy I was working under theorized that intelligence tests to not actually measure intelligence, and that it may not be measurable at all. According to RFT, people form connections between ideas in many different ways including similarity, dissimilarity, heirarchy, etc. His idea was that intelligence tests only measure how well people can make such connections between ideas/objects/their environment. Furthermore, that people can learn to "improve their IQ" by becoming better at making such connections... He thinks that this would then debunk the concept of intelligence. Which, in my opinion, only forces us to reevaluate the idea of intelligence as an unchanging characteristic.

But on a different note, IQ tests are total crap if you are not represented by the population around which the test was constructed. Yes, there are more tests coming out that are not culturally biased, and that evaluate other types of intelligences, but also consider that the tests were originally constructed to predict performance of white, middle class, Americans in the academic environment.

I still did about the same...113.

I'm not going to worry about it. Any test that asks you what your sign is has to be looked upon skeptically.

I should have realized...all of these threads are old. I've come up in a few of them already...let's see if one of my old threads gets bumped.

I'm starting to think this Burning guy might be a certain Australian mod we all know.

That, or he's extremely bored...either way, it's fun to revisit some of these, and it's interesting (and slightly disturbing) that he's going throught this much effort to catch up on his 12 oz. history.

Well, have fun.

Any test that asks you what your sign is has to be looked upon skeptically.

All of those questions were optional...

But, any test that isn't administered by someone who is properly trained, and for which the scores aren't interpreted by a licensed psychologist, has to be looked upon skeptically.

Some of the tests on the Mensa website are kind of fun, though.

ive been thinking about intelligence a lot lately. as in the physical difference in mental structure between someone who is "intellegent" and someone who isn't.

I've mostly been curious about whether the physical form is resultant of a persons intellect or if the structure is determining in a persons intellect.

And then, what implications does this have for the beginnings of all children. Are we all equally smart from the get go?

What is the driving factor behind a persons thought process that leads into their intellect? I am sure neuropsychology would say that this or that portion of the brain is more active or that there are so many more connections than in a different brain, but there is still something missing. I suppose its that same problem that Hume and other ran into when considering causality. What is it that allows us to infer? What makes that distinctive choice.

Beyond that. Is that basic inference that which starts us on a path to a given intellect? Or is is that our thoughts are governed by the intellect we already have?

which came first, intellect, inference, physical pathway?

im whatever all of you scored plus 1000.

really....an online intelligence test. do you get a "free" razer phone at the end?

Ha.

C'mon man, be fair. I mean, it's not like online IQ tests might just churn out inflated scores so people are more likely to share their results with others.

It's not like, you know, people who run websites want as many hits as possible.

I've mostly been curious about whether the physical form is resultant of a persons intellect or if the structure is determining in a persons intellect.

And then, what implications does this have for the beginnings of all children. Are we all equally smart from the get go?

I think it would be fallacious to say that it is either/or.

Here's my theory:

Normal people are born somewhere along a "brain structure gradient". (I use the term "normal" to describe anyone with no signs of brain damage)

I would say the differences between intelligence at birth (yes, I believe you can ascertain intelligence at birth, to a small extent) are not nearly as broad as they are in adulthood.

Say the spectrum at birth is about yea big: [-------------]

And the spectrum in adulthood is: [---------------------------------------------------------]

I think that our experiences/upbringing/education are what cause the spectrum to broaden.

Some people move up in relation to other people, and others move down.

Take, for example, someone who is at the smart extreme as an infant who has intelligent, affluent parents, receives the best possible education, and has very worldly experiences. That child will most likely be at the smart extreme in adulthood.

Another child who is not as smart at birth -- say, average -- but who has the same experiences/upbringing/education, will also find him or herself at the smart end of the spectrum in adulthood, though probably not at the extreme.

I think even someone who is at the low end of the spectrum, can also end up slightly smarter than average, with a considerable amount of effort.

That is not to say that someone who isn't affluent will not be smart, but it is a blatant truth in our society that wealth determines the quality of education received in many cases.

This is also why I agree wholly with Gardner's concept of multiple intelligences. There are different environments that elicit different talents/intelligent characteristics in people. It is a complete misconception to say that someone who is not "book-smart" is not intelligent...

/ramble

i dont disagree in any way. in fact i think that is the way that people do develope into intelligent people. But I think there is still some fundamental difference in cognition and what determines the thought patterns, like i said it comes down to an issue of inference for me. For whatever ive done or been encouraged to do in my life to increase my intellect, there is always some sort of choice that has to be made about that information.

Just like babies learn so much so quickly, i wonder what it is that is allowing them to learn. And what are the limitations to that process, aside from environmental factors that is. I recognize that within a sliding spectrum such as the one youve described that environmental factors play one of the largest roles in terms of development, but I think there has to be some distinctive difference from the beginning. And I suppose thats what im most curious about.

oh, and the dialectic i chose in the beginning was because of a study i read a couple months ago about finding specific brain activity in "more intelligent" children during certain ages. and they straight ups aid that they dont know if the activity is reflective of the intellect or the other way around. thats sort of where i was starting from.

I took these tests in elementary and middle school, I scored mid 130s both times. I think once was 134 and the other was 136. I've done nothing with it, and I can attest to the being alone with myself thinking is not the safest thing I can do. I do usually tend to read books in one sitting. I read The DaVinci code a couple weeks before the movie came out because I wanted to read it, I had a free saturday, I think I read it in 3 or 4 hours.

I don't really think IQ has much to do with anything, most the people I know who seem to have higher IQs are doing nothing with their lifes except painting. It was always the kids who worked for it in school who got good grades and went to college, all of us smart people drifted by with Cs and graduated and never looked back. School was the worst time for me.

I would whole books that were assigned usually on the first day. So during class while the rest of the class was reading I would be fucking around. I could never respec teachers because they all seemed so dumb to me, so as soon as they said something I didn't agree with I would argue and make a scene and get kicked out. It took me til 10th grade to realize to undershoot the placement tests because I hated Advanced English. A bunch of kids who know they are smart sitting in close quarters arguing about this and that. Horrible.

Anyway, it's not all bad. Concepts come easier to me, I can talk my way out of most situations. I get jobs easily because I can fake well enough any subject to make it seem like I'm qualified. Arguing with people and winning most of the time always has it's benefits. So all in all, I'm okay with it.

welcome to my life eastbay...

the best was my senior year, i did this thing called academic decathlon. fuck it if i could make some scratch for college just by takin tests, hell yes.

if you are a c student, you compete against other c students. it was sweet. i was like third in my region or some shit. got 1400 for school the next year, so that was good.

i think IQ's are relevant in so much as they are indicative of a persons ability to learn. as you said, concepts come easier to you. i dont think IQ is indicative of future success however.

My school actually won the academic decathlon my senior year, or got second place. Something like that. The VP asked if I would consider it, because even though my grades were average, I tended to score near perfects on the state wide exams.

I didn't though, too much work.

won nationals? thats some intense shit right there. we got to state, and we knew there was no way of winning that, so the other c's and i just got some bitches from another school drunk and then played poker and ran some kids outa there money. yay for bein ahead of the curve in highschool

i had gotten asked to do it by my physics teacher. see you and i did the same thing just in opposite classes. i didnt do jack shit, but stayed in the harder classes cus of the better teachers. i made sure they understood i was there to learn but not to deal with bullshit. so they pretty much let me get by, i contributed more than most in class and did well on tests, so they knew i wasnt totally fucking off.