Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
orangenblacksocks

Rail Bikes?

Invent one.

Better yet, pitch a tent on some active tracks and pray for divine intervention.

Your mother can thank me later.

i couldnt find any plans...but i did find a little diagram of a single rail bike

rail.gif

with a little metal working skill it doesnt look like it would be to hard to make

Originally posted by orangenblacksocks@Oct 9 2005, 05:51 PM

All those plans cost about 20-30$ i was looking for something more on the free side...

Yeah true. Same here.

Maybe just look at the pics and try and design one yourself? If these weekend warriors can knock out a bunch of bikes for themselves and their fam it can't be too difficult. There's even one that brags 'no welding',

Worth a crack I reckon.

If you sort it out make sure to let us know yeah? ;)

I don't normally post in this forum, but rail bike type vehicles are an interest of mine. One way to do it is to make an outrigger that extends over to the other track. The hardest part is making or obtaining flanged wheels to fit the track. The two bikes that I've seen were both made by machinists and used aluminum flanged wheels on the outrigger and two on the front "forks" of the bike (which kept the front forks of the bike from turning very much).

Both of these rigs were pretty awkward and heavy, and could not be ridden on the street. If a train showed up, they were difficult to get off the tracks. I like the idea of rail bikes, but it strikes me as being a rather dangerous practice in reality.

Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 10 2005, 02:20 AM

The hardest part is making or obtaining flanged wheels to fit the track.

This guy sells the flanged wheels made out of Polyurethane. They're pretty expensive though.

http://www.railriders.net/railbike_wheels.htm

It'd definitely make for a smoother ride than a metal wheel and the bike would probably be lighter.

df200_flange.jpg

I agree that getting out of the way of oncoming trains is a major concern but I'd be using one after midnight, once the local trains had stopped running. There's still the danger of the odd worker train though. The lightest, easiest to remove option would be best.

What about a rail-board? Like a skateboard for train tracks? Pushing would be a bit weird cos you're up higher but you could jump off it pretty quick. Not ideal for long distances but might be good for a quick getaway. Better than running on track rocks and sleepers at least.

Rail bikes are only legal if they are ridden on dead lines...and i think you may even have to have a permit in some places. I just wanted to make one to cruise the lines and try to find trains to paint, because i don't think a rail bike or anything on the tracks would be a good idea to try to take out painting

mackfatsoe, that reply had me rolling!

I've taken an old mountain bike on tracks to travel distance before... After the line was shut off of course. Being on so close to a live rail on a bike is pretty hairbrained but if you're trying to travel freight tracks I'd say just use a mountain bike, be sober and keep an extra eye and ear out.

HOVER BIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres been so many times i wish i had something like that but the more you think about it the more yorue like, this could be a real disasterous idea. low gear, 30X700 tires and a peice of shit frame is the best ive come up with so far.

i had a teacher once that used to tell stories about doin shit like this. he said that they just took the tires off and you flatten out the sides of the rim a little. he said that he took a little time and some bumps and bruises but that you could get reallllly good at ridin them.

whos gonna do tailwhips on a rail road track come on guys thats not very dave mirraish. now rail ramps; id like to see a train gap tracks one day

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this